RRC Auto change up.

· 14 · 3561

jeepster

RRC Auto change up.
« on: April 07, 2011, 01:58:53 PM »
I have a RRC Auto 3.9 v8, my question is, when is the autobox supposed to change up to 4th ? Mine wont change up until the speedo is reading just over 50mph, which is really annoying as most of the traffic i'm in does  49mph, which means its sitting in 3rd most of the time drinking fuel like nothing on earth  :(. Can you manually adjust when the changes are, or is something wrong with mine, or am i stuffed ?  :'(
2008 Audi S3 *sold*
2001 Saab HOT Aero convertible
1992 Range Rover Classic *sold*
1985 BMW e28 520i
2011 Audi A4 Avant S-line Black Edition

Graeme

Re: RRC Auto change up.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 03:34:39 PM »
do you not mean dirrect drive as in locked up to give fuel economy      with lock up it is basically a 5  speed  4 gears with 4th locked

jeepster

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 03:51:17 PM »
do you not mean dirrect drive as in locked up to give fuel economy      with lock up it is basically a 5  speed  4 gears with 4th locked

Sorry, me no understand  ??? ??? The model year of mine is 1992 if that helps.
2008 Audi S3 *sold*
1985 BMW e28 520i

geoffg

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 04:04:15 PM »
Tony,
My 110 changes into 4th at 50 mph. Very annoying, as you say. It,s a 4.6 and would pull away in 4th if it weren't for the auto. I wander if Ashcrofts could come up with an answer.
Geoff ???

Graeme

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 04:41:48 PM »
you start of in first   changes into second  then third then fourth it should go into direct drive at 51-52  and if the speed comes below 49 (from memory)it goes back to auto    unless at over 50 52 you plant the pedal in which case it will kick down    simple

georgew

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 04:43:32 PM »
You will get a little explanation in the 'Auto Box' Section, (the lock up speed was explained on the old site)
go to
'ZF 4HP 22' Disco 1, RRC
then in there down the page is,
'Set Up'

(This is not in the FAQ section, but thats helpfull for other problems.)
www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk

Dont mess about too much with the Lock up speed,
 but you can adjust the shift pattern/speed some with the cable.
I would get assistance from someome familiar with the set up.

Is your cable outer & attachment/adjustment all in good condition before touching it or making adjustment?

Ashcroft-Transmissions say,
" if the vehicle is a Disco! or RRC you may want to adjust the kickdown cable if you want to fine tune the shift pattern, the looser the cable the earlier etc etc........the tighter the cable ................."
george
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:52:17 PM by georgew »
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

jeepster

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 08:01:13 PM »
Thanks for the info guy's, I think I will let someone who knows what they are doing have a look at it, I wouldn't even know where to look  :-[
2008 Audi S3 *sold*
1985 BMW e28 520i

rangerovering

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 11:03:12 PM »
When last was the fluid and filter changed?
Steve

jeepster

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 08:32:25 PM »
When last was the fluid and filter changed?

Pass ? Worth while do you think ?
2008 Audi S3 *sold*
1985 BMW e28 520i

DRH

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 09:06:49 PM »
On my last 300tdi, the box was worn out with a lot of slippage.  As it was in good nick and bought as a motor to keep, I invested in an exchange bow from Ashcrofts, which improved performance and mpg, but going into lock up at 50 was the way it was set up and any other Auto Disco I've driven does exactly the same.  It is annoying and seems a bit illogical as when you are trying to keep the speed to 50mph it's going up and down the gears like a fiddlers elbow.

I don't know if you can change the lock up speed as it happens inside the box.  Adjusting the kickdown cable should only alter when the box changes up and down when you push the throttle fully down.

Duncan

georgew

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 09:07:38 PM »
Jeepster you would think it was worth changing Fluid/filter if you dont know the history,

But take care if all is working fine.
(Other than the cable adjustment needing checked.)

A fluid change can kick up some dirt & end up with a blocked valve block type thing.

Is the fluid nice & cherry
& fresh smelling, the level checked & perfectly OK?

I would hold of messing about without running the vehicle a little more if its new to you.
I do a fluid change before doing a filter or strainer change to see how things go,
then i can actually drain & filter the ATF, change the strainer/filter & put the fluid back in.
(worked for me for over 30 years of only having automatics, others may disagree)

If the ATF is brown or burnt smelling then i would get it changed ASAP.

george
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:09:51 PM by georgew »
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

jeepster

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 11:08:12 AM »
Thanks George, bought it just before Christmas, prezzie to myself lol, will check the fuid level / colour over the weekend, still dont understand this lock up thingy, does it mean that once in top gear, ie, 4th, it locks this gear (automatically or manual lock ?) until.............when ?  ??? ??? All i know is that its flipping annoying sitting in traffic that is around 45mph-55mph, just keeps on shifting up & down. Anyway can't afford to use it much nowadays with the price of unleaded, but thats another moan / topic. Cheers.
2008 Audi S3 *sold*
1985 BMW e28 520i

lexi

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 09:39:52 AM »

With my old Patrol with Jatco box the lock up was controlled from a connection on the auto box ECU. I put a manual switch on it and could lock in third. You had to switch it off before coming to standstill or you would stall.  The ZF box may be electronic and if so this mod will not be possible

rangerovering

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 11:43:56 AM »
The ZF on that era is not electronic, on P38's and D2's they are.

In answer to your question, 90% of the problems with autos is down to old fluid. What can seem like a bad problem is easily fixed. Whether or not this will make a difference to your box I do not know, but it is worth a shot as general maintenance anyway.

I would drain the fluid, refill it and go for a short drive, 10 miles would be plenty. Come back, drop the fluid again, sump off and change the filter. Refill again with new fluid, with the vehicle stationary and engine running move the shifter down through R, D, 4, 3, 2, 1 (or whatever gears it has) and then back to P and switch off. Allow time for the fluid to settle and check the level again.

The reason for changing some of the fluid and then going for a drive is that the torque converter hold a lot of oil that you cannot drain. By changing the oil in the box first and mixing it all up you will get more of the old oil out when you drain the second time.
Steve