Bad Vibrations - prop shafts

· 12 · 3568

Malc

Bad Vibrations - prop shafts
« on: May 13, 2014, 05:57:10 PM »
I'm getting a pretty bad vibration at 70mph on my disco 300. I've recently had all the wheels balanced but it didn't help. So I went underneath and found the balance weight on the rear prop shaft is a little rusty and is peeling off the shaft. Don't know if a piece of balance weight has already fallen off or not. I phoned prop shaft services in Bonnybridge to see how much a prop shaft balance would be, only to be told that no-where in Scotland has a machine for balancing prop shafts. All they offer is a static balance - sticking on a lathe for a truth check to make sue the shaft is straight. Has anyone had a prop shaft balanced and if so where?
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
Re: Bad Vibrations - prop shafts
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 11:30:08 PM »
I got my propshaft balanced last week in hillington industrial estate, I replaced UJ to find it had a nasty vibration afterwards. Turned out to be a circlip not seated correctly, was £20 to put on balance machine and he spun it up to show me how balanced it was could easily have ripped me off would highly recommend his services.
P & J Propshafts
15 Edison Street, Hillington Industrial Estate
G52 4JW

0141-882 0333
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

andrewswe

• Name: andrew miller-varey
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 08:24:42 AM »
We can balance it........on a proper balancing machine.

Dr Prop 07920 130022.

Will be at Callander comp this weekend

Cheers

Andrew

Malc

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 06:07:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, that's really helpful   ;D
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

Malc

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 07:35:03 PM »
Well I've eventually got round to getting my prop shafts balanced - at Hillington after Greig's recommendation. (I know its taken me ages, I guess I'm happy going everywhere at 55mph!!) The guy was very helpful. There was nowt wrong with the prop shafts - showed me them spinning on the machine. I've refitted them to the car, not had a chance to check that the vibration is still there, but as the balance of the prop shafts has not changed, it is going to be. So that's the wheels and front and rear prop shafts all balanced. Any ideas as to what to try next? I'm thinking the pre-load on the swivels (assuming disco 1 swivels are the same as defender ones) - anything else that could cause vibration only over 60mph?
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

piper5

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 09:48:12 PM »
is the vibration through the steering wheel?  could it be the steering damper? i had one fail on my 200years ago it was undriveable

Malc

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 10:46:19 AM »
Good shout piper, they are quite cheap so I'll replace it anyway.
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

Dave T

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 12:34:55 PM »
surely that would just be masking the real cause, it should be ok without a steering damper at all on a normal road.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 01:27:47 AM »
Wheel balance , build up of mud in rim or missing weights, try swapping front wheels with rear. Are you running remoulds as these tend to be harder to get balanced. 
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

lurch032003

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 06:50:13 AM »
Incorrect tyre pressure can have sane effect as a lost balance weight plus have you checked wheel bearings are okay and at correct torque? A worn or part worn bearing at certain speed will give a vibration similar all the way to your hands worth a check
HTH

Malc

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 08:27:33 PM »
Well goodness me this thread is a lot older than I thought. I am still getting a vibration over 60mph on my disco. So far I have had the wheels balanced, props balanced, changed the front wheel bearings, checked the swivel pre load (they were correct), changed the steering damper, checked all bushes on panhard rod, anti roll bars, trailing arms, radius arms, checked all ball joints and steering linkages - all tight as a drum.

Happy going everywhere at 60, but would be good to get to the bottom of it.

I've checked the shocks by bouncing on each corner - is there a better way? Could any other steering components be loose - steering box, column etc? If I put a clock on the wheel rim what sort of run out would be "normal"?
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

lurch032003

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 12:30:34 PM »
I would think its zero but in real world +-2 plus are the Tyers of even tread and same all round, and have you tried different wheels to rule out the wheels on it aren't the cause, also not common done now by people is turning the Tyers round ie front to back to ensure even wear? I have heard of the Tyers themselves being a fault due to make and how there made plus and damage on a tyre can cause imbalances there is only so much you can check before it becomes a all consuming obsession to get it fixed and other more important jobs get discarded better to draw a line and be happy at what you have .