Clutch master cylinder leak

· 5 · 1549

AberdeenRob

• Name: Robbie Stephen
Clutch master cylinder leak
« on: November 26, 2012, 03:54:49 PM »
Hi all,

I attempted to bleed my freshly installed clutch hydraulics the other day, and couldn't get a good seal with the eezibleed on the top of the master cylinder.  This appears to be due to the sealing surface on the master not being machined very well, a 1/2" section of the sealing surface is quite rough.

After giving up on the eezibleed and bleeding it the old fashioned way I've managed to get the clutch working enough to drive it, but it feels like the clutch isn't fully disengaging.  Could this be because there isn't a good seal between the filler cap and the reservoir?  If so are there any quick fixes that I do without having to pull the master out again and replace it?  e.g. silicone on the sealing surface?

Thanks,
Robbie

The Classic Man

• Name: Robin Watt
Re: Clutch master cylinder leak
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 04:22:10 PM »
Bleed the system again with the help of a friend there may be still some air in the system. make sure there is know air bubbles coming from the bleed nipple on the at the slave cylinder.
The Classic Man
Heros & RNLI member

cooltshirt

• savethegaywhale.com
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 04:31:06 PM »
Sounds like it ain't bled completely................ so you are pressing the pedal and just compressing air rather than pushing fluid to move the slave cylinder rod.

The old fashioned way is IMHO the right approach. Connect a tube to the slave cylinder nipple, tube in a jar of old fluid, slacken nipple a wee bit and wait .............. just let the fluid run through on gravity, if you've had the master cylinder disconnected then you have to be sure that any air drawn in at the cylinder end has travelled through the pipework and out the bleed nipple  ......... keep an eye on the master cylinder level and top up as required. I've undone alot of good work in the past by not observing the last point :-[

Normally that will do it ................ time and gravity ;) is what's needed. Assuming of course (delicate cough) all your repairs are good .......... and you're not drawing air in from a join or whatever.

Good luck..........

1983 110 V8. RIP

cooheed10

• what do you mean a woman in the picture???
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 05:53:25 PM »
Hi Robbie,

In my experience if you get a hand from someone and put the bleed bottle on the slave cylinder, top up the
master cylinder reservoir leave off cap. get your mate to pump the pedal up 5 or 6 times then hold pressure on the pedal.
when the pressure is on the pedal crack open the bleed nipple till the pedal hits the floor then close nipple, top up fluid then try pedal.
you may have to repeat this again but should work

cheers colin
CMEC 4X4 and Recovery

Earls Rd
Grangemouth

elegia

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 08:21:31 PM »
As above!!
The last time I did this I recruited 2 friends; one to work the pedal & one to keep the reservoir topped up. It  made life much easier with an extra person topping the reservoir and made the whole process pretty straight-forward.