Help!!!

· 4 · 1238

AberdeenRob

• Name: Robbie Stephen
Help!!!
« on: August 10, 2014, 06:02:03 PM »
Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle - am on holiday in Cumbria with my 300tdi disco. Long story short, horrible grinding noises led to discovery of totally shot front wheel bearings. Luckily, extremely nice b&b owner had the wheel and hub off before I knew it.

I've not changed a wheel bearing before and don't have my Haynes manual, although the b&b owner seems to know what he's doing and has kindly offered use of his workshop and some guidance. Can anyone tell me what parts I will need to order tomorrow morning? Also any advice on how to do the job would be much appreciated, and what size socket do I need to buy for the 50mm ish nuts that are bigger than anything in his tool box?

Thanks, Robbie

Dave T

Re: Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 06:41:46 PM »
Do a quick google search, it will bring up a few YouTube videos that show you exactly what to do.

You should be able to get a wheel bearing kit, defender ones are somewhere around £20 for a decent one, look somewhere like paddocks or mailorder4x4 and it will list bits you need, basically a bearing and a few gaskets, seals and washersand the large box spanner (52mm I think)
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

prof-pat-pending

• Name: nick
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 08:23:03 PM »
cumbria landrover in penrith will have all the bits if you can get there

if funds are tight there are a few disco's in the scrappy at eden hall (penrith to alston road)

you are in my area - i would have helped - but i am on holiday myself - in scotland  ::)

if you get really stuck pm me i will ring round a few local lads to help you out
life is but a journey from birth to death - why rush ?
run a series landie and take your time
http://cumbriaclassiclandrovers.createaforum.com/index.php

AberdeenRob

• Name: Robbie Stephen
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:43:31 PM »
Thanks guys, managed to get a couple of kits and fit one. Will replace the other when I get home. Robbie