Learner drivers.

· 14 · 2217

discoverypete

• Name: Peter Williamson
Learner drivers.
« on: June 10, 2011, 01:12:18 PM »
Can I just stick a set of "L" plates on the car and take my daughter out ?
Or will I need additional insurance.
She is getting lessons but a little extra practice wouldn't do any harm.

Pete. ???

georgew

Re: Learner drivers.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 01:21:03 PM »
You need to contact your Insurance Provider & check the conditions of your policy as to other drivers
 & learner drivers, then add her as a named driver if required.

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

geoff

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 01:29:15 PM »
The other problem is, you'll teach her all your bad habits ;D ;D

piper5

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »
we are going thru this at the moment, bloody nightmare your daughter needs to be added to your insurance to drive the car and you need to have held a liscense for more than 3 years, be prepared to pay hundreds to add her on ,
we had quotes from ?1300 to no f@@king way , we ended up taking admiral multicar insurance insuring a pug 106 1 litre for her with me as a named driver on her policy , saved a fortune we now pay just over a grand for a pug 106/pug306/ disco 2/110 defender, with business use on all , it works out at 500 for her and just under 200 for each of the others.
oh and they want 2hrs per lesson at ?40 at time for minimum 40 hrs before they will consider a test, then theres ?50 for the theory test and ?60 for the driving test, they they fail !  another 5 weeks at 40 quid a week and another 60quid test , bloody teenagers!!!
beware when you book a driving test or theory test as well , when you google the test the first few sites that come up are actually agents who book the test for you and charge you 10 quid for doing it

discoverypete

• Name: Peter Williamson
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 06:26:11 PM »
Oh dear Piper, I can see you have been there and got the Tee shirt (Bank of Mum and Dad).
But when you're past it, she will remember and keep you in the manor you are accustomed to!

On a more serious note. Has anyone tried Arnold Clark's dual control hire?

Pete.

david

• Name: David Russell
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 09:41:50 PM »
We've used the Arnold Clark dual control car for my step son - got on really well with it.

Also if your kid has a young scot card they will get a discount when booking with Arnold Clark.

georgew

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 09:46:47 PM »
Re Driving lessons,

as a gift to niece & nephews, i used to give a 'starter driving lesson pack' with the BSM.
(i used to earn lots of points with a Clubcard Plus account)

Possibly not as good value this year.
'Tesco club card vouchers' used to be worth 4 times there value,
it was 6 lessons for ?48's worth of vouchers.

Now the Vouchers are only worth 3 times there value when use for 'Deals',
worth checking out tho if you are a Tesco shopper.
i havnt exchanged any for a year for this purpose & not up to date on the deals.
george
www.recce-gear.co.uk

stage recovery

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 11:27:34 PM »
Absolute must to have the correct insurance,for my youngest son (in 2008) I found,tested a 1200 cc Renualt Clio on the Friday,insured it Saturday 10.30,paying ?180.00, to start when I picked it up at 13.00,brought it home,parked it, "L" plates went on at 15.20 when he arrived home from his driving lesson,then set off for its first drive,at 15.30 IT WAS ALL OVER!!!!!!!!!!   We were hit reallly hard up the back by an uninsured driver, (as hard as I had ever had during my Stockcar racing years) the Clio was written off having never even had to put petrol in it. To get him back on the road I added his name to my then 110 V8 CSW,GUESS WHAT, it was cheaper to have him on the Landrover instead of the Clio.The day he passed his test though(now with a replacement Clio) the fun began,my insurance company quoted ?7829(he was 17,biggest number being a 7,reg no was 829)simple.     He eventually got his own insurance with Tesco, ?1500.     3 years later he has a 172 BHP Clio Sport paying a figure which would bring tears to your eyes!

piper5

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 07:55:11 AM »
before buying a car for my daughter i did online quotes for every 1 litre car i could find on autotrader and a pug 106 was the cheapest apart from a fiat cincento, so thats what she got, still moans that she didn't pick it or the colour,
must be hard having to drive a car you were given for free and don't pay to insure/tax/service/repair/fuel/wash/hoover/replace tyres etc etc  :'( :'(

Stirky

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 07:01:33 PM »
2hrs per lesson at ?40 at time for minimum 40 hrs before they will consider a test, then theres ?50 for the theory test and ?60 for the driving test, they they fail !  another 5 weeks at 40 quid a week and another 60quid test , bloody teenagers!!!

Wait till you need them to do a Trailer test. Lessons ?26/hr and  ?115 for the  test
Gonnae no dae that

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 10:53:42 PM »
Just plugged Ruaridhs details in, pretending he was 17 ( still two years away...) for the Ser IIA..... lowest quote on "Go Compare" was ?1600. Plugged in the same detail but for an 1100cc Fiat Siecento - ?2600 !

Either way, thats frightening !! 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

bertracoon1616

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 09:22:59 PM »
I passed in Feb 2006 and drove my N reg 106 985cc for the following 2 years, was actually ace fun to drive (once it got up to speed) and my insurance was something like 700 quid, although i was just a named driver on my mums policy. I also had very few lessons, i did alot of driving just with one of my folks in the passenger seat which saved on lessons but also the drives through dundee on the school run helped me improve massively. Had 2 lessosn right at the end, just so i could ask questions about what the examiner was looking for and so he could tell me what bad habits i had developed. Had my first test which i failed for speeding  ::) , managed to get a cancellation and passed the following week! Even after my examiner admitted he was lost and the test ended up being an hour rather than 40 mins!
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

georgew

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 10:08:58 PM »
This might be usefull to anyone giving private lessons.
Also worth doing a 'Drivers Record Card' IMO.

http://www.helpingldrivers.com/practice/before.htm

george
www.recce-gear.co.uk

Rural rebel

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 05:46:41 PM »
One of the guys at work was quoted ?3000 for a Vauxhall Corsa 1.0L for his 18y.o. son who's just passed his test. Obviously that's a slightly high price, and he decided not to take it.

But he did get insurance through the Co-op for ?800, the catch is that they come and fit a tracker type device on the car which records speed, revs etc, and the unsurance company monitor the speed, driving style, time of day etc. If it detects excess speed, or 'erratic' driving they automatically cancel the insurance policy.

It's perhaps worth looking into if you're trying to insure a young driver, I'm just glad I'm not starting out on my motoring career, I don't envy young ones these days trying to access insurance, sadly being persecuted due to to the actions of a minority of eejits!