road trip

· 26 · 5156

masseyzook

Re: road trip
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 11:57:57 AM »
i would go from obam to mull then from fishnish on mull to lochaline, up to arisaig/morar, then over the ferry to sky , back over the sky bridge then up to applecross

Brilliant route, remember theres a ferry from Tobermory over to Kilhoan,this would let you see the most westerly point on Brittish mainland Ardnamurchan point,white sands of Morar are worth a visit as well, then onto Malaig,ferry to Armadale on Skye

Scott110

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 12:13:46 PM »
Hi Wilie
Forogt you like your fishing. Im not really into sea fishing but i remeber we done fly fishing and spinnig for pollock(think their pollock) just outside glencoe village. The bridge that crosses the water on the way to fort william just under it on the glencoe bank. If your heading towards Oban how about the ferry across to Mull its a nice island to drive on then hop on the small ferry across to iona lots of history there and its got some very secluded stunning beaches. You are allowed to camp on Iona but your always best to inform someone local as they will tell you were its allowed being a very small island.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

Growlz

• SmilingHound
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 07:43:08 PM »
Iona is excellent but you'd be aswell leaving the car on Mull. You can walk right round Iona in an hour or so. Don't forget to visit John Smiths grave at the Abby.

Willie-Scott

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 04:25:54 PM »
Scott yeah i like my sea fishing not that i catch much lol

Radarears

• photo bucket
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 08:31:26 PM »
Sounds a great trip your planning but a word on the camping on Iona. This is only allowed now at the camp site going out towards the west side of the island but it is still a great site with great views.

I go over to Iona every year and my picture on the forum is of the Discovery "working" with a trailer on Iona  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Discovery td5 "Monte"

And the registered keeper of a Range Rover 4.0 se

georgew

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 12:55:50 PM »
www.wildcamping.co.uk

The Section on Scotland has some very good tips
 & up to date info on nearly every area.

Access is for a limited period to those that are not full forum members.

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

NIJ

• Name: Nigel Kelly
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 10:55:31 AM »
Calgary bay on Mull is worth a look. Free camping right on the beach and fantastic roads and even better scenery. Island hopper tickets are worth the money if you fancy seeing a few of the islands.

Outer isles can be gorgeous in May, not midgey like Skye.  Fabulous empty beaches.  Calmac ferry tickets subsidised at present to mileage equivalent, attractive tour packages.  Much land fenced off in croft units, so felt roaming access restricted sometimes.  Some super B&Bs but get booked up v early - my lady doesn't camp nowadays.  Maybe sail from Oban to Barra, island hop north and return from Harris/Lewis.  Fantastic curry cafe in Castlebay, but we had a dreadful curry in Stornoway 2009 tour.  Beware of camper vans & bird watchers!
Nigel

Willie-Scott

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 11:25:21 AM »
Lots of great options for me there , many thanks guys..

stevieb65

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 11:08:24 PM »
Big Sands campsite in Gairloch, camp amongst the sand dunes and walk barefoot onto the beach............cant be beaten.
roll on summer :)

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 07:42:52 PM »
Definitely Big Sands at Gairloch for me as well. Get the Landy on the 6 mile rough track out to Slaggan Bay, it's a great way to spend the day. We were on the beach there all day and never seen another sole.
 Here's hoping the weather's better this summer.

Stevie.

thecoyle

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 04:24:34 PM »
Myself and my better half did something similar last summer, struck out from the glorious Kyles of Bute (well worth a look) to John O'Groats (not really worth it) and spent the next three weeks working west and then south down the west coast.
Places of note, Dunnet Bay (CC Campsite, very good, nice beach), Durness: Smoo Cave, Sango Sands, Scourie: cracking fishing, Handa Island for puffins and amazing sea stacks, not much in Kinlochbervie, but if you continue out the road to the north west there' an amazing beach at Sheigra.
Sheigra was the highlight of our holiday, a lovely wild camping spot with an honesty box at the end of the road. Lucky we had the land rover and we got the best spot on the beach, there was about 4 other cars there. Got over the week brook and into a nice dip sheltered from almost all sides. We caught our own dinner of sea trout (this was early june) and sat up drinking wine beside our Braii and watched the sun dip for just a few moments. Dont tell everyone about it though!!!
Lochinver has the best pie shop in the world (even Micheal Winner says so, ahem), Clachtoll: right on the beach run by a lovely couple, the site it currently being developed but still open, Achiltibuie: cracking resteraunt and friendly locals (go to the Ceildh there's one on!). Ullapool is a nice stop, feels like the big smoke after all the wee places! Campsite in town needing some tlc and 20p for a 2 min shower is having a laugh, especially at the price of a pitch.
Gairloch, Poolewe, Isle of Ewe, Applecross, Plockton (Hamish Macbeth village) and then Skye all definately worth a look, especially for the Bealach-na-Ba near Applecross. Not much in the way of off roading though, but stunning scenery.
We're doing the Hebrides this year, but we were so taken with Sheigra we're trying to factor that in again too!
Have a great time and dont forget the Avon skin so soft!!!!
1998 Defender 90 300Tdi - Daisy the Defender
All the gear and no idea