road trip

· 26 · 5154

Willie-Scott

road trip
« on: January 23, 2011, 10:09:28 AM »
Im going to be heading up the west coast of Scotland in the next couple of months but looking to plan camp sites , places to visit / off road areas etc etc , anyone any ideas ? 

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
Re: road trip
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 11:48:44 AM »
Nevis Campsite has great facilities, although stupidly busy in school holiday.
Canrecommend a wee spot for wild camping in Killin.

Go before the midge season  ;)
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

Willie-Scott

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 12:43:41 PM »
i was up at nevis campsite before but wouldnt let me on with my van , got my landy 90 now so doubt id get on with that either , weres the wild camping spot ?

masseyzook

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:41:05 PM »
Applecross over the pass of the cattle road is a must (amazing switchbacks 'n veiws from veiw point at the top),camp site on road down into Applecross.

Scott110

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 04:05:36 PM »
Id reccomend the red squirell campsite in glencoe. Lots of great hill walking. If you can get someone to meet you at the other end a great family walk is the devils staircase. Not anyhting seriouse but great veiws and village with pub at other end hence you need someone to meet you or 25 miles back to your car lol. if u are taking bikes or fancy a cycle for the kids you can go to the nevis range and hire bikes there. Lots of purpose made mountain bike tracks ranging from safe family runs to insane certain death. You can also go up on the gondalla to the cafe at the top fantastic veiws and you can watch Scotlands only purpose made world cup downhill mountian bike course...its scary how fast these guys and gals go on a bike down a track like that. You can also camp in their carpark if you get caught out with campsites etc. Lots of stuff to do really ull have a great time west coast really is stunning in places.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 05:53:02 PM »
i agree with scotts suggestions.  amazing places around glencoe and fort william. how far north are you talking,? might help us to suggest other areas if your going up towards, gairloch, durness, ect.  ;D
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

Willie-Scott

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 10:21:20 PM »
Ive been to glencoe and fort william a few times before , im just looking to drive , sight-see , camp , sea fish etc etc

python dont hesitate to name a few places mate  ;)

python

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 10:26:03 PM »
well gairloch is a great place, ullapool is popular with me as well. then you can continue north to scourie, durness, cape wrath. then you fall into the sea.  what i do when im looking to go to a new place, ill google the town or area, even look on utbe as you will be surprised what people put on there. we found the campsite and smoo cave on utube.  ;D just get a map and start the search, if i can help anymore just shout. cheers, jon
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

coolcamper55

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 11:19:28 PM »
Must agree with Jon,

Gairloch, Poolewe, and especially Ullapool.
I go to Ullapool at least twice a year, my dear lady has family there and we take the tin tent up.

The camp site at Ullapool is Broomfield, if you google it you can get the details, and is very reasonable and situated on the banks of Loch Broom. You can get the ferry across to Stornaway in Ullapool.
The site is within walking distance of the village, its almost in the village and Ullapool is a great base for trips to loads of out of the way places and fantastic scenery.

Tommy

python

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 11:23:49 PM »
the campsite i use is ardmair point, exellent pebble beach. facilities are a bit basic but its a very popular site, just a few miles out of the town, its a bit more secluded. suited us better as we kayaked a lot and we were right on the water there. best camping we have ever done. blair athol is very good too.
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

Growlz

• SmilingHound
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 11:31:02 PM »
Calgary bay on Mull is worth a look. Free camping right on the beach and fantastic roads and even better scenery. Island hopper tickets are worth the money if you fancy seeing a few of the islands.

Willie-Scott

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 06:32:13 AM »
Many thanks guys , gives me a few more ideas now  ;D

python

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 07:28:38 AM »
I forgot about arisaig. Can't spell lol. Very nice there. Well worth the trip. And you can get the ferry to Skye from there too.
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

piper5

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 07:35:35 AM »
i would go from obam to mull then from fishnish on mull to lochaline, up to arisaig/morar, then over the ferry to sky , back over the sky bridge then up to applecross

Alanhid

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 09:54:32 AM »
Big Sands campsite in Gairloch, camp amongst the sand dunes and walk barefoot onto the beach............cant be beaten.