arrows trailer and the law!

· 15 · 4576

webby

arrows trailer and the law!
« on: October 09, 2013, 08:43:35 PM »
Just been reading this, https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/car-towing-weight-and-width-limits, and am I right in saying, now that the width limits have changed, you can now tow a gkn arrows behind a disco legally, nose height depending of course?
could you pass the spanner....... the other one, oh the hammer too....... ok the grinder please......

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: arrows trailer and the law!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 09:28:09 AM »
I'd guess that you can legally move it but not put that much in it ! How much do they weigh ?
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 03:15:17 PM »
There is someting in the Construction and Use stuff about projection beyond width of towing vehicle, otherwise one could tow such a trailer with a (powerfull) motorcycle.
Navigator          GM1VBE

Ian A

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 06:05:19 PM »
Simple answer, after looking at the attached, is yes but why would you want to?
The trailer itself is over 1000Kg without any load on it and from the ones I've seen are single axel - you'll have a real headache with nose weights when loading
As far as I can see the GKN Arrow is designed to be pulled by a lorry
Suppose it's all depending on what you want to use it for so it's up to you
What about looking for a well used plant trailer that would be twin axel and a lot lighter when empty?

genem

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 09:07:17 PM »
The Arrows trailer was built to be towed behind the Bedford 4 Tonner. I agree with Ian - A big Ifor Williams - say a 10x5 will be a lot more practical.

Withams - who flog off the Ex MOD stuff  - specifically warn against trying to tow an Arrows with a Landrover.

webby

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »
i agree fully, I friend had bought one and wanted it taking to his farm but was getting mad quotes to transport it, so thought I might be able to help him out! couldnt imagine a disco sitting level with one with a full load on! :o
could you pass the spanner....... the other one, oh the hammer too....... ok the grinder please......

KIERON

• Name: Kieron freyne
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 09:39:32 PM »
iHeard that very shortly within months all trailers over 750kg (braked ) will all need mot's!
Dow!
88 bowler
80 tomcat

genem

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 10:23:30 PM »
^^^^ Part of the same European consultation that kicked off the fuss a few months ago about doing away with all modified vehicles, only being able to use OEM parts and a raft of other ideas. Read Italian forums and you'll see them up in arms about the awful requirement to have MOTs for motorbikes....

Its a storm in a tea-cup - unless you've seen anything from the Ministry of Transport/DVLA on it. 

cenemc

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 05:25:12 PM »
A swift Guuurgle found
http://philbennion.org/news/125-business-leaders-praise-mep-for-pruning-red-tape-from-eu-minimum-mot-test-standards

Seems he single handedly saved the planet (or something) ::)

aqms987

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 10:12:13 PM »
 Hi
 I spent the last 22 yrs of my working life as a vehicle Examiner with VI/VOSA & during the course of my duties examined numerous light trailers operated by farmers & other small businesses. As a group of equipments they were generally in very poor condition with farmers being the worst of the lot! I fear Mr Bennion was very poorly advised to organise the exemption he takes credit for.
 Do not however think that being exempt routine testing in any way allows use of unroadworthy trailers ie bald tyres, inoperative brakes or lights etc. A trailer being towed without effective lights etc can cause a serious or fatal accident whether or not it is subject to testing. It is small comfort to the relatives to be told the trailer did not need an MOT!

cenemc

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 09:34:04 AM »
Agree that a trailer needs to be in "roadworthy condition" however as they broke the existing laws by using "unroadworthy trailers ie bald tyres, inoperative brakes or lights etc. "
We need extra laws?  :o

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:38:52 AM by cenemc »

aqms987

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 10:03:55 PM »
 In my view it is up to the courts to apply the existing laws/penalties to the full. It is very frustrating to report offences only to find the offender gets a "slap on the wrist" if the PF takes the case that is. There is little point in increasing the penalties available if the present ones are not being fully enforced.

cenemc

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 10:09:10 PM »
"There is little point in increasing the penalties available if the present ones are not being fully enforced." Agree entirely.

3 coops

• RRC HCPU/ Disco 200TDI/Ser2SWB/RiceHorseBox
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 11:34:31 PM »
The Arrows trailer was built to be towed behind the Bedford 4 Tonner. I agree with Ian - A big Ifor Williams - say a 10x5 will be a lot more practical.

Withams - who flog off the Ex MOD stuff  - specifically warn against trying to tow an Arrows with a Landrover.

Could not agree with this more, I had the pleasure of towing one of these with a defender for a few hundred miles distance, (out of UK), pain in the backside, as well as being wider by a fair bit, the nose weight issue coupled with its dead weight made it a pig to tow, did not want to track the rover, trying to stop it was a bit of a giggle, tail wagging dog springs to mind, probably due to hitch height being higher than a rovers chassis. They really were designed to be towed by a specific vehicle, a four tonner, just like the little Sankey was designed to tow behind a rover, also have a high COG for a rover.

Of course an old Rice horsebox converted to a flatbed would be ideal, should anyone be thinking of flogging one . . .
VERY FOND OF WEISSBIER

3 coops

• RRC HCPU/ Disco 200TDI/Ser2SWB/RiceHorseBox
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 11:39:39 PM »
Seem to remember the hitch eye needed a little 'shaving' to go on the rover sized NATO hitch as well.
VERY FOND OF WEISSBIER