Advice for a newbie please

· 3 · 1080

vickyc

• Name: vicky coatsworth
Advice for a newbie please
« on: March 11, 2012, 09:04:48 PM »
Two things... Does the driver and navigator in a comp safari need an msa licence, or just the driver? and how does scrutineering work, do we need to get someone to look at the motor before or is it checked on the day? The blue book isn't making any sense to me anymore. Thankyou very much in advance for your help.

Alan Mc

Re: Advice for a newbie please
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 09:59:25 PM »
Hi V.  Haven't comp'd for about 10 years so my licence knowledge might be out of date but here goes...  When I competed as driver I required a licence only.  With regards scrutineering my advice would be yes, get your motor looked over before driving a considerable distance to then find out you can't compete.  It's not a requirement pre-scrutineering/event but will give you peace of mind.  My advice would be either Alex Lindsay at Broxburn or George McLay at GEMM in Larbert. 

Hope this has been of use & lost importantly, enjoy!

Alan.

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
Re: Advice for a newbie please
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 12:53:53 PM »
Does the driver and navigator in a comp safari need an msa licence, or just the driver?
For comps - the driver needs a competition licence (for the scottish comps - a clubman non-race licence is sufficient), the navigator just needs a club membership card [of an invited club]
For Hill Rallies - both need competition licences (grade depends on the grade of Hill Rally)

and how does scrutineering work, do we need to get someone to look at the motor before or is it checked on the day?
Vehicles are checked on the day.
If it is a new [new-new or new-to-you] vehicle, or one that has been modified quite substantially, I would advise that you get a scrutineer to give it a once-over before the event - if nothing else than so you have the peace of mind that there are no obvious issues before you arrive.

The blue book isn't making any sense to me anymore.
Did it ever?  ;)