Vulcano

D1 ,what are the main common faults??
« on: July 12, 2011, 04:58:16 PM »
Hi,  Would be interested to know the most common faults etc
to look out for when buying a D1 discovery or a Defender, aint mechanically astute
and have never driven a 4x4. So a complete novice .  :-\
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:06:54 PM by Vulcano »

piper5

Re: D1 ,what are the main common faults??
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 06:06:48 PM »
best get someone to go with you or you could get well stung,
mechanically clunks and bangs from the transmission
defender doors and bulkhead rot and rear crossmember on chassis
discovery 1 rot is a big issue inner wings, sills, boot floor, rear body crossmember,rear wheel arches, probably best to find one that has had some of that work done already
theres a few about that people have spent fortunes on welding then get rid.

Rural rebel

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 06:27:36 PM »
There's quite a lot to look out for, I'd suggest taking someone who knows Landys with you if you go see one that takes your fancy. Here are a few pointers for you though,

Disco - Bits that rust away....Chassis, Sills, boot floor, wheel arches (below rear door striker plate in particular) inner wings, door pillars, sunroofs, (prone to leaking), electrical bits, just make sure everything works ok,

90/110- Bits that rust away....Chassis, outriggers, bulkhead, door pillars, footwells, rear crossmember,

Oily bits....These are pretty much the same for both,
           Engine, is it smokey, blue/black/white? Start ok? Any signs of leaks?
           Gearbox/transfer box, run quietly, change gear easily, any whines or knocks?
           What do the fluids look like, new or dirty and old?

This isn't exhaustive by any means, there are plenty people on here that will help with advice and pointers, I've owned a Series 3, 200Tdi 90, 300 Tdi Disco Commercial and XS, Freelander, and currently run a TD5 Disco 2, pretty much all of the issues I've had have been wear and tear stuff, pads, discs, bearings, etc.
Good luck and hope you find one you like!

geoff

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 07:22:44 PM »
Hi

As said but worth repeating - don't go on your own
It's a mine field with IED's thrown in for good measure.

Geoff