Disco1 (post 95- 300tdi) and the dim-dip relay

· 2 · 1100

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
Disco1 (post 95- 300tdi) and the dim-dip relay
« on: June 07, 2015, 09:30:08 PM »
I've blown the headlights on my disco.... not sure when, and I've not actually been out that late that I've driven in the dark for a while.

Anyway, my investigations have led to me having a melted blue-red wire from the back of the switch round to the dim-dip relay (which I eventually found tucked up beside the heater fan, and not in either foot-well..... but never mind)

Anyway - the Haynes Manual implies that I could just remove the whole dim-dip relay malarky from the system..... the blue-red wire runs frm the switch to the fusebox, and from the switch to the relay..... so cutting out the relay doesn't stop rthe lights from working.

Does anyone know different?
Can anyone confirm I'm right?

cenemc

Re: Disco1 (post 95- 300tdi) and the dim-dip relay
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 10:57:37 AM »
I've never worked on a Disco Dim/dip but remembering back to when they where normal fitment on cars ( loads of years ago).

Is there just one Blue/Red on the dim/dip relay base or two?
If there are two Blue/Red wires on the relay base you will need to bridge those two together when you remove the Dim/Dip relay.
If it was a pink coloured Lucas relay I would expect there to be two Blue/Red wires.

If there is just one Blue/Red on the Dim/Dip relay base then it had a switching action as well as the Dim/Dip and you are most likely need to leave the relay in.

What caused the overheated cable?
HTH