• "should have bought a 90"
Re: Garelochhead Training Camp GRR
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2013, 07:21:28 AM »
Looks like you all had fun!  :)

Land Rogie

• Name: Eileen Knight
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2013, 04:53:58 PM »
The fun is in getting stuck lol and we promise, scouts honor we won't leave you!

The only thing I'd be looking to avoid is driving over stuff with questionable ground clearance...such as hidden boulders or say...tree stumps..... ::)  mud and water to play in is fine, although I'm sure my chief mechanic will disagree  ;D Bring on next years Calendar then eh  ;D

Dave T

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 05:56:27 PM »
the ground clearance was fine ......... until he had driven halfway over it and the front wheels just sunk  ::) ::)
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Land Rogie

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 06:03:29 PM »
the ground clearance was fine ......... until he had driven halfway over it and the front wheels just sunk  ::) ::)

:o :o  so the trick is...get someone else to go before me hahaha!!!!  ;D

Dave T

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 08:36:48 PM »
That's normally me
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 10:15:11 PM »
Just to clarify my thinking as the person who organised this weekend - My plan when I set up a GRR is firstly to have a number of small groups doing their own thing rather than a 20-30 vehicle rolling roadblock. This gives people some freedom and also allows people to get to know each other a bit better maybe ?  Where possible I plan to have a circular route rather than an "up & back", although this is not always possible due to the geography. Then to have a main route that anyone can drive in their shiny daily driver without any great risk of damage, so decent enough tracks, maybe a bit rough and ready.

Like this:

Off that I'd hope to have some more challenging bits, which are optional and can be avoided if required. I try to provide warning about what the issues are - tight vegetation, deep ruts or whatever so people can make up their own minds. Experience says that people who were initially cautious see other people having a go, join in and are pleasantly surprised at how capable their vehicle is. The other Freebie out on Sunday did the rest of the run with no problems at all. The track Dave, Steven & Co decided to explore was a few hundred meters of dead end forestry extraction track leading to an area of clear-fell. 6 of 20 odd drivers decided to try it.... 1 got stuck on an unseen tree stump.

So, that bit was optional and maybe 400 metres in over 10 miles of track. On the other hand, it certainly seems to have provided a fair bit of enjoyment !  The rest of us were in a clearing a few hundred feet above them, looking down and giggling while eating our sandwiches ! The mud-lovers arrived a bit later....

Cheers,

Gene

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Dave T

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 07:04:13 AM »
which all made it a perfect day for all ........ except for the rain  ;D ;D
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

pillum

• Just the navigation chip in my LR's rich tapestry
  • Name: Paul Docherty
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 08:38:17 AM »
I had to leave early to get across Glenshee on my way back to Aberdeen, looks like I missed a lot of good fun in the afternoon.  B&B for me next time, and a full day/weekend.

Gene, this was a great GRR, something for everybody, and just right for all levels.  I'm looking forward to my first Tyro next year.
Paul
1998 LR Defender Wolf ex MOD
2011 Ford Mustang convertible
2006 Peugeot 1007

Land Rogie

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 04:31:23 PM »
which all made it a perfect day for all ........ except for the rain  ;D ;D

yup, what I love about SLROC GRR's ... chance to enjoy some driving off road seeing parts of the countryside we'd otherwise never get to see and there's always bits off the main route that are a bit more challenging if you're looking for mud to play in  ;) Usually something for everyone and always a route you can drive without coming to any grief, unless of course your Landy was grief stricken before starting out haha  :o

Kev91

• Name: Kevin Fulton
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 11:17:36 PM »
Was another cracking GRR, thanks to all that made it possible. Enjoyed going the interesting bit, was a wee challenge to try and get back up the hill. Was slippy but the D3 made it back up, all be it not on my first attempt  :P

Here is a couple of the videos I took,

http://youtu.be/hg8MIC0TgvI
http://youtu.be/WxGgayzWs2c
http://youtu.be/DyKKjELy_ss
http://youtu.be/0gUjBPrs3Rw