land rover 90 stub axle brass bush help

· 5 · 1527

mac90

• Name: Alasdair MacDonald
land rover 90 stub axle brass bush help
« on: February 19, 2014, 10:28:02 PM »
Hi,

My brakes failed the other week and Iam in the middle of replacing some parts.
Oil has been leaking from the inner hub seal and on to the disc!
I have fitted new stub axles, inner seals and brass bush.

It appears the brass bush is tight on the half shaft and the wheel has quite a bit of friction. I can spin the wheel by hand but it is tight.
Also i will be unable to fit the shim and circlip once the drive member is on. There is no play in the half shaft.

If i go for a wee spin will it free up or cause damage?

any ideas?

Alasdair
Land Rover 90 1989 300tdi (sold)
Range Rover P38  1997 4.6HSE

elegia

Re: land rover 90 stub axle brass bush help
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 11:27:33 AM »
Hi Al,

Landys eh!! Are you sure you have fitted the correct stub axle (the bush should be fitted in the stub when you bought it) (I'm working on memory a bit here, although I think that the brass bush one is correct for your vehicle - the other has a pin/ bearing arrangement  -- but I think that's from 300TDi on).

I did this job on my wee pick-up - you should be able to get the circip on and it should spin freely (I know you know this -- but I don't think it will free up if you drive it). I'm pretty sure I made the same mistake ---- the following may sound obvious, and I had words with myself after I got to the end not being able to get the circlip on and having a sticky wheel.
-- remove the whole shooting match back to the CV joint & make sure that you have "pulled" the CV joint out - this will ensure you can get the circlip on (it should retain that 1/4" or so "float" throughout the process).
-- when you put the stub axel on make sure you tighten the bolts 3 o'clock, 6o'clock, 12 o'clock, 9 o'clock etc. Tighten progrssivly and finish to the torque setting (in fainess I guessed the torque setting!!) This should stop the brass bush from rubbing on the drive shaft. After this it should be sweet.

Give me a shout if that doesn't work.

Jamie
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 11:39:37 AM by elegia »

mac90

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 11:47:35 AM »
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the reply.

Landy's that is a swear word at the moment... I never realised until I built the whole hub, torqued every thing up, set bearing and hammered new tab washers.
I feel like ive been beaten up..

I have been on to the supplier this morning and another couple of bushes are being sent to me. The supplier did not seamed surprised when I told them they arrived separately. Guess I need to strip it all back down.

Oh well looks like my weekend is organised....

Cheers,

Al

elegia

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 11:54:15 AM »
I feel your pain!!!

mac90

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 09:27:17 PM »
New inner bronze bushes arrived. 1 mm difference in internal diameter. Problem sorted.

Just need to strip back to balls(swivel) ::) and refit Job Done...

Alasdair