Starting in Comp Safari's

· 26 · 9492

Brisca943

Starting in Comp Safari's
« on: November 12, 2011, 08:38:20 PM »
I am looking for a new challenge for next year and thinking about getting involved in some comp safari's

Next question which has probably been asked a thousand times.
Where do I start?

I have driven/raced in a few formulas through the years from Short circuit oval racing to grasstracking and a season in rallying with a 205 have still got my Oval race license but my MSA national B has expired 2 years ago and I have not renewed it.

I am looking at possibly buying an entry level landy which will get me started with a few spares. Already have a trailer with a tow vehicle/service van.

I have attended a few landrover club events in the past and am looking to get involved with a few more ( just missed the last event in Dunbar as it is close to home)

So looking for any advice on what to buy and approx budget required per event.

Thanks in anticipation of your help

Robin Little

Alan Mc

Re: Starting in Comp Safari's
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 09:14:03 PM »
Hi Robin.  I used to compete a few years back but am Landieless for now (but planning to sort that at some point).  I might not get back into comping as it was expensive & required a lot of commitment.  That having been said, had some great times & what a rush.
When I got into it I approached a bit like you - get along to some events & start chatting to the guys taking part (& supporters).  A good way to understand what you need (for example, helmet requirements) & also a good place to pick up a ready to compete motor.
In terms of understanding what you need to do once you've got a motor, passenger or marshal at event & you'll have it sussed pretty soon.  The key thing once you get behind the whee lis to take it easy & enjoy - if you're interested in doing well there's an awful lot to be said for finishing....  Many top motors out there don't do well as they break on a lap & that can be it in terms of results.
My advice about motor is don't go mad & be seduced by cubes....  Get something reasonably sensible to learn how to drive fast off road (all due respect to your previous experience, of course) & you can always upgrade in due course.  Also, you will probably find it much less susceptible to breaking with a bit less power.
Anyways, you'll have a ball & hope this helped.  If you want any more tips then drop me a message.  Alan.

corvettedave

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 10:40:43 PM »
My advice about motor is don't go mad & be seduced by cubes.... 

Iam a newbie aswell to landrover racing, dont go stick a corvette ls3 engine into your racer, like I have! lol, I will try and have it up and running for spring next year, should be fun breaking stuff

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 02:08:33 PM »
I am looking for a new challenge for next year and thinking about getting involved in some comp safari's
Good choice :)

Next question which has probably been asked a thousand times.
Where do I start?

I have driven/raced in a few formulas through the years from Short circuit oval racing to grasstracking and a season in rallying with a 205 have still got my Oval race license but my MSA national B has expired 2 years ago and I have not renewed it.
At the Scrutineers :)

No - as others have said, come and watch an event or two..... although comps are technically "single circuit rallies", the only resemblance they have to what you've done before it that they have 4 wheels and a steering wheel!

You will need to renew your nat-B licence (needs to be a non-race license)

The challenge for Cross Country is the third dimension: Rallying will have prepared you for car control and following a stage. The lack of pace-notes won't be a problem, as I suspect you didn't use them in the 205's either. The problem is learning what steps, ditches, yumps, and ruts will hurt... and which won't.

I am looking at possibly buying an entry level landy which will get me started with a few spares. Already have a trailer with a tow vehicle/service van.

So looking for any advice on what to buy and approx budget required per event.
You'll spend a couple of grand on anything that isn't a shed, and the same again fettling it to what you like
(whatever you buy, you'll need to fettle it.... you've been there with all the other stuff you've done - but expand that by a factor of a lot because you have SO MANY options open to you!)

Personally, I'd start with a standard production car... thought most of what actually trades hands are the specials.

.... One more question - there are actually two championships within the SCCC: One is the Scottish Championship and the other is an SLROC championship.
The SCCC is open to any vehicle, and the SLROC is only open to vehicles that match SLROC (ie ALRC) rules.... You can do both, at the same time.... but the SLROC Championship is a stricter set of rules (silhouette, powertrain, chassis, etc... it's basically a single-marque championship)

Brisca943

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 10:00:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I am not planning to take this too seriously with regards to competing every weekend. My hope is to possibly do the majority of the SLROC events and treat it as a fun sport/pastime as in the past racing has basically taken over every weekend and repairs during the week .

I am also currently building a Replica of a Ford GT40 so have not got much garage space left ,so anything I buy will have to be basic and cheap as it will stay outside most of the time. My hope is that I can buy an entry level vehicle for about ?2000-?3500 . I am not really concerned what its is like visually . I would prefer something that has possibly tried and tested but requires some tidying up. Open to any offers if anybody has anything about that they would be interested in selling.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

corvettedave

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 10:56:10 PM »
I am also currently building a Replica of a Ford GT40

what engine are you going to put in that beast?, Ive allways wanted to build a gt40, great looking car, have you got some pics??

cheers

dave

cfordengservices

• If it ain't broke Don't weld it !
  • Name: Callum Ford
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 10:47:09 PM »
hi there I took part in my first comp safari at bathgate this year after having the vehicle lying for a few months gettin it ready. Theres plenty people in the club will be more than happy to have a chat with you on the fone  and tell you exactly what your getting into and what you need . Alan agnew or johnny cambell are good to take to as they both have alot to do with the comps .

I found that the vehicle was the cheap part but all the other things add up like your helmet spill kit licences etc but once you have them its entry fee fuel and breakages . Not the cheapest motorsport but by far no where neer the deerest and by god its a bucket full of fun

You often see a few comp motors come up on ebay if your willing to go down south or i know there was one on the forum for sale which is sitting at lee bartlets

Hope this helps and we will c u in the mud soon   Callum
1986 110 200tdi
1988 110 200tdi
1996 disco 300 tdi
90" 3.9 atuo mid engined toy !!

Brisca943

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 10:49:27 AM »
I have currently looking at a  1955  88" leaf sprung 3.5 v8 fully prep'd previously belonging to a Mick Gillet. 
Are leaf sprung vehicles still competetive in the Scottish scene? or would I be better holding out for a coil sprung?

Or as suggested in the previous post stick to a diesel eg 300tdi?

Thanks

You can tell I am bored just now as of work recovering from an operation!!!!   

bcarlin

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 12:37:29 PM »
leaf sprung cars a great introduction into comp safari racing although they will never be up there competing with the coil sprung cars.it would still be lots of fun and would make a good starter car if it was cheap

Alan Mc

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 08:59:36 PM »
Agree with last post.  I started out comping in a leaf sprung & had lots of fun.  Was never going to win anything but who's to say I had less fun than the others?!  Also, there's nothing quite like completing an event in a leafer & beating a few (much more expensive) coilers....  I sold up after about a couple of years progressing to a chopped RR Classic hybrid which was much more forgiving & gave me that extra pace.  If the leafer's good & a bargain - go for it.  Al.

Brisca943

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 03:09:29 PM »
Corvette Dave.

I am currently modifying a new ford 302 V8 crate engine to fit alloy heads and a different cam. hopefully appox 400hp when i am finished. should be an intersted drive trying to keep it in a straight line.

Tried to post photos but cannot as I am not a full member yet.

Graeme

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 03:15:41 PM »
your challenge will be to keep it with a drive train unless you are changing that as well    is that engine going in a leaf sprung

Brisca943

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 03:49:12 PM »
Not going in a leaf sprung. Going in a Ford GT40 replica.  I agree with the drivetrain through. Will be driving a Renault UN1 Transaxle with various upgraded components. but still looking for a LSD for it.

corvettedave

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 05:07:59 PM »
Corvette Dave.

I am currently modifying a new ford 302 V8 crate engine to fit alloy heads and a different cam. hopefully appox 400hp when i am finished. should be an intersted drive trying to keep it in a straight line.

Tried to post photos but cannot as I am not a full member yet.

very nice, should be lots of fun, put some photo's up into photobucket,etc then do a link

cheers

dave

Brisca943

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 06:50:37 PM »
http://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/m489/brisca943/

Hopefully this is a link that works to the photos Corvette dave