Edinburgh/Borders Fording Day 6th Nov 2010 !!Pics Now added!!

· 25 · 8329

I.AM_a Driver

• Daily Driver: Td5 90 - MAS325
    • Convoy for Heroes
Edinburgh/Borders Fording Day 6th Nov 2010 !!Pics Now added!!
« on: October 27, 2010, 11:02:39 PM »
Myself and rangerovering have planned a route taking in as many fords as we can manage (25 on the list!) in the Scottish Borders. Route begins between Dunbar and Eyemouth, meeting point is ASDA on Spott Road in Dunbar (EH42 1LE), meeting at 8:45 for 9:00 start.

We have planned a rough route taking in fords listed on Wetroads.co.uk in the Scottish Borders. The route is expected to take most of the day, approx 150-200 miles finishing towards Biggar or Hillend Jct on the Bypass.

We will try to stop somewhere convenient for lunch (bring your own if you wish, we'll find a scenic carpark in a border town) and there is scope to stop for an ice cream at Caldwell's in Innerleithen. For our evening meal we have the choice of either fish and chips in Biggar or a pub meal in The Steading at Hillend.
-------------------------
Clicky Link Section
Google Maps 'Rough' Route

Rough Directions (pdf)

List of fords
The list of fords is in the order we hope to attempt them, has OS grid references and also the page references for the Philips Street Atlas of the Scottish Borders.
--------------------------

This event is being publicised on several forums (fora?) including LandyTown, LROi, Scottish LROC, Wetroads and RRR. If you're definitely coming we don't need to know 5 times over, once will do!  If you are interested in joining us please post your name below, or PM either myself (I.AM_a driver) or Steve (rangerovering) for more information. Look forward to meeting as many of you as possible.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 07:24:32 PM by I.AM_a Driver »

CONVOY for HEROES 2014 is coming to Long Marston Airfield, Warwickshire, Easter Weekend 18-21 April

I.AM_a Driver

• Convoy for Heroes
Re: Edinburgh/Borders Fording Day 6th November 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 01:28:50 AM »
"Disclaimer"
I'm putting the responsibility firmly on the driver for this 'meet', I'm just providing the route and trying to get a group of people together. Essentially it'll be up to you if you want to attempt any/all/none of the fords we come across over the course of the day, but it should be an enjoyable day with some familiar faces and some new ones too.

Facebook Event page
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=102044456531697&ref=mf
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 12:12:20 AM by I.AM_a Driver »

CONVOY for HEROES 2014 is coming to Long Marston Airfield, Warwickshire, Easter Weekend 18-21 April

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 08:30:44 AM »
This sounds like a realy interesting day i am trying to convince family to come but i will definatly be there.

Cheers Bill
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »
Nice one Bill, should be a fun day!
Steve

DRH

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 01:18:22 PM »
Sorry

Will be away then, but could you let me know if you intend doing it again

Duncan

rangerovering

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 02:32:44 PM »
Will do. All going well we hope to do different regions, we started in the borders becasue it is nearest and there is quite a few to choose from!
Steve

CairnsAndrew

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 10:37:17 PM »
I will deffo be trying to get along to this with my eldest. A day out is overdue.
1972 Series 3, Currently under restoration
1994 3dr Disco 200tdi

brido

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 04:52:44 PM »
hi there is a standard land rover ie no snokel ok for crossing these fords
Brian Taylor M168 OMS

rangerovering

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 08:02:29 PM »

Hi yes you will be fine. Mine is more or less standard and is a v8 so i will most likely conk out first if its too wet!
Steve

rangerovering

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 08:17:44 PM »
Currently 5 definates, 4 maybes. Looking like a good day out folks!

I have an empty passenger seat if anyone wants to ride along!
Steve

I.AM_a Driver

• Convoy for Heroes
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 12:22:33 AM »

If you look at the pic above (from rangerovering's signature) that's one of the ones in Peebles, nothing too serious and most of them should be about the same. Some of them are drivable in a 'normal' car or even your work van.... ::)  ::)

There are two that are more serious crossings but Steve and I are doing a bit of a recce on them tomorrow (for the record these are Earlston and Drumelzier) and as many others as we can, just to gauge their difficulty etc.

At the end of the day if you're not wanting to take your vehicle through one, we can find out who else isn't going through and arrange where we'll meet you again to continue the route. I'll try get a better set of directions posted up after tomorrow, and update the list if required; If anyone was going to print these off please wait until Thursday to give me a chance to do this.

Currently 5 definates, 4 maybes. Looking like a good day out folks!

I have an empty passenger seat if anyone wants to ride along!
I also have the passenger seat free if anyone wants to come along for the ride
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 12:26:48 AM by I.AM_a Driver »

I.AM_a Driver

• Convoy for Heroes
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 11:04:11 PM »
I have another name to add to the list, Sam_Td5 is coming along in his Disco.

We did a bit of a recce today on some of the fords we're going to do, a few of them might have to be missed out because of muddy/soft access routes especially if there's a big group of us. Some observations:
-It took us 30 minutes to get from Dreghorn on the bypass out to the meeting place at Asda, sitting at the speed limit most of the way
 (please give yourself plenty time to get there for 8.45, we'll be leaving at 9.00 as we've a fair distance to cover)
-There is a filling station at the Dunbar Asda (pay at pump only)
-I guessed the route would be 150-200 miles, I now reckon we might be closer to 250 over the course of the day.
-We'll see how we get on we might cut the route short if time is against us or whatever, I don't want to be rushing from A to B just to get round them all.

Steve was handed the camera today on a couple of occasions, so here are the results (call it a wee taster!)

Pease Bay (first on the list, to gently break you in)

Chirnside

And also videos

Abbey St Bathans (2 videos- both directions)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G288kvhcVc
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lyvFMn8xTA

Earlston (sorry it was getting dark!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saXUwpo5MEM

jumbo

• drive through car wash landrover style
    • photo bucket
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 11:30:03 PM »
sounding like a great day out. im working :( or id of been tempted out for a paddle lol
doug
2005 3door freelander td4
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

warning::: any jokes posted by myself come with a health warning!!!!!

CairnsAndrew

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 03:09:45 PM »
ill Probably head off from the pack at peebles depending on time/fuel level, SWMBO reminded me todaty we are going out at night.... and what SWMBO wants, SWMBO gets :(
1972 Series 3, Currently under restoration
1994 3dr Disco 200tdi

rangerovering

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 08:07:58 PM »
ill Probably head off from the pack at peebles depending on time/fuel level, SWMBO reminded me todaty we are going out at night.... and what SWMBO wants, SWMBO gets :(

No problem, more than happy for people to come and go. Just let us know at the time so we are not wondering where you are half an hour later!
Steve