chassis protection

· 13 · 2288

araon

chassis protection
« on: March 06, 2012, 06:57:17 PM »
olla, has any body any experience on painting a chassis? i have a td5 chassis to fit to my 110 and was going to galvanize it, now due to the amount of work i need to do i might just paint it,has anybody used vactan? or does anybody have advise on this? any help would be good.

many thanks

Alan

araon

Re: chassis protection
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 06:11:19 PM »
 can anyone help? have i posted in the wrong place :-\ :-\

Tomreade93

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 08:45:13 PM »
I'm about to paint mine as well  :) I'm going for a Acid Etch primer on the outside with some Chassis paint I found on Ebay ontop of that . I'm spraying Waxoyl on the inside of the chassis as well with a week sprayer i think unless i find a better way.

Tom
Defender 110 1998 300Tdi

Defender 100 300tdi  Based on Discovery 1

geoff

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 08:50:12 PM »

Tomreade93

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:56:46 PM »
 :o £225 for 20L ! are you mad? or am I wrong?

Ive got the Waxoyl sat in the shed left over from another project anyways.

Tom
Defender 110 1998 300Tdi

geoff

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 09:16:22 PM »
told you it was good ;D

Tomreade93

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 09:28:39 PM »
Haha Quality comes at a price as always!
Defender 110 1998 300Tdi

konads

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 12:48:52 PM »
If you have the vehicle stripped down to a bare chassis, and the chassis is in good nick, you may as well galvanise it.

If the chassis is a bit ropey then there's not much point, the zinc won't bond properly and the heat involved may deform it.

There are a good few papers available online which will show you corrosion rates of painted, galvanised, and galvanised & painted steel. The results tend to speak for themselves!

Also worth noting that there's no way of properly protecting the inside of a chassis without dipping. If you go painted/waxoyled it will begin to rot from the inside out almost immediately.

Once you consider the better adhesion of galvanic coatings on top of all that its hard to justify NOT doing it!

araon

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 08:48:22 PM »
cool, have you carried out this? my chassis is a 2005 and like new do you think galvi is the way to go? thanks for help 8) 8)

Piwi

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 07:58:18 AM »
Konads

"Also worth noting that there's no way of properly protecting the inside of a chassis without dipping. If you go painted/waxoyled it will begin to rot from the inside out almost immediately"

Why does painting/waxoyling  speed up the corrosion process ? Surely it would prevent it and significantly reduce the corrosion rate , so far better to prevent matters from getting worse . I thought about  first of all spraying the inside of my chassis with a rust inhibitor then one it's dry pumping it full of waxoyling or similar and doing the same on the outside .
300 tdi , 3 door discovery
200 tdi 110 utility
300 tdi 90
200 tdi 110 csw
Td5 Discovery
Currently 97 Japanese import 300 tdi Discovery.

corvettedave

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 01:23:54 PM »
Also depends on the paint you use on the metal, you can buy some special rust inhibitor paints, like por15, etc

dave

Alan A

• Name: Alan Agnew
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 06:16:17 PM »
Where you can go wrong by spraying waxoil inside the chassis is when you haven't managed to clean out all the muck that has accumulated in there, you then pile in the waxoil, that seals in any pockets of mud and if they are a bit damp, the moisture seems to find only one way out and that is to be to rot its way down through the chassis! I speak from the painful experience of making this mistake!
My advice is to spend plenty time flushing any crud out of there first, then turn the heating right up in the garage for a week to make sure its all bone dry before you start! If in doubt, learn to weld too!!

konads

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 06:28:08 PM »
Why does painting/waxoyling  speed up the corrosion process?

Ah that wasn't really what I was going for. If you could completely cover all internal surfaces then it would give you some protection, I was getting at the difficulty in ensuring total coverage inside several metres of box section.

Even with full coverage you are relying on the coating adhering perfectly and keeping the moisture out, which it won't. I don't want to come across TOO negative - painting's fine, galvanising's just better, and probs the better option if these guys have their landys in bits already.

cool, have you carried out this?

Not yet, just started stripping my hybrid last weekend for a new bulkhead and to get the chassis hot dipped!

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:38:43 PM by konads »