Single mass flywheel on TD5

· 13 · 9333

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
Single mass flywheel on TD5
« on: November 14, 2011, 09:48:43 PM »
Has anyone takin the plunge and got a single mass flywheel for a TD5 , think my clutch needs replaced soon and heard the horror stories from the duel mass flywheel when changing clutch and the cost of replacement it 90 is sitting at 78,000 on a W reg and the previous owner used it to tow trailers so think the flywheel will need changing . Also any recommendations on garages to use , was thinking of using Strathearn engineering as i have heard good praise. :p
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

Sooty

• been there winched that
  • Name: mike robertson
Re: Single mass flywheel on TD5
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 10:26:06 PM »
was gonna put a stage 4 rakeway clutch & flywheel combo into my buggy but @ around ?700 it put me off as i can get a standard oem clutch for just over ?100,

have the original dual mass flywheel in my buggy & its had 2 clutches so far & although the flywheel has a bit o movement in it ive decided to stick with it for now,

the billet flywheels do however increase the vibrations through the vehicle at tickover but its not something id be concerned with tbh
Started out with nothing,
Still have most of it left

vag_landy

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:38:13 PM »
paddocks are doing a heavy duty clutch + SMF for ?390

http://www.paddockspares.com/parts-and-accessories/land-rover-defender/clutch/land-rover-defender-clutch-td5.html

thinking in the long run it maybe a good choice if i remap in future.
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

tio

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 05:09:40 PM »
i almost went down this route with my td5, i really grudged paying for a dmf also i wa sick of them going in the company vans too, the week before i was due to do this i stumbled on to some post's on other forums recomending against this,,, things like bad viration and the likes but what flagged it up for me was the crank's that were being destoyed also :o i discussed this with the guy that works on my landie, and apparently he  had a spate of skoda's with broken cranks and the common thread was a recent change to solid flywheels, the only explanation i can venture is, in the good old days a crank was really over engineered and now the tolerances are a lot closer, so there not as robust and are failing, some folk have put them on and had no trouble at all!!!! so in my view it was a gamble and i stayed with the cert,,, hope it help's m8 lets us know how you go??????? ;D 

vag_landy

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:41:50 PM »
My friends defender td5 was recalled under warranty for a new DMF , once replaced a few thousand miles down the line his crank snapped, but i always thought it was something to do with it not being balanced or the way he drove he liked to sit on autobahns with his foot on the floor poor car, he also cooked the cylinder head. I'm in a dilemma need to research this further last thing i want to do is snap a crank.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:49:57 PM by vag_landy »
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

cooheed10

• what do you mean a woman in the picture???
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 10:32:35 AM »
Not had too much experience of landy dmf but i know that on fords a transit for instance can go through 3 or 4 dmf in its life time, I used to be incharge of a fleet of around 100 or so vans and would always opt for the solid conversion kit when changing the clutch, and never had any problems with crank snapping or excessive vibration, I have even seen the dmf plated and welded ( a bit cowboyish i agree ) but to its credit no problems.
I think with a car or car derived vehicle there is more need for a dmf with the close tolerances involved, but have never understood the need on a larger engine or commercial vehicle. This is just my opinion and just tryn to show instances where think ford scare mongering more to blame lol.

colin
CMEC 4X4 and Recovery

Earls Rd
Grangemouth

vag_landy

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 11:04:19 PM »
ok i s*** it and bought a valeo DMF , decided on the OEM factor and speaking to a boy in work that maintains the wolfs and white fleet TD5 defenders, that its best to go with what the engine was designed for. ?400 for 3 piece clutch and flywheel bought valeo OEM parts. Still waiting on delivering
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:33:01 PM by vag_landy »
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

tio

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 08:32:43 PM »
Ha ha ha join the club m8 lol

rangerovering

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 08:44:13 AM »
The reason there will be snapped crank stories about Td5's is that 5 pot motors are not naturally very smooth, they have an off beat firing pattern and create extra vibration and stress compared to a 4 or 6 pot. That is why you wouldn't have a problem with the Transits, they are 4 cyl engines and have a more natural firing charactorisitic (2 up 2 down piston wise), not 2 up 3 down with a fifth cylinder banging away at one end.

Steve

georgew

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 10:06:13 AM »
I have heard that said about Transits & Landrovers but is it as much an Urban Myth or just the actual vehicles and another design fault with the drivetrain rather than the 5 cylinder engine.

5 cylinder works well in Audis, and the same engine in VW vans and the likes.
A few decades of 5 cylinder engines being built and used now & they are not all breaking down constantly.
http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight-five_engine

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

rangerovering

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 11:02:54 AM »
I have heard that said about Transits & Landrovers but is it as much an Urban Myth or just the actual vehicles and another design fault with the drivetrain rather than the 5 cylinder engine.

5 cylinder works well in Audis, and the same engine in VW vans and the likes.
A few decades of 5 cylinder engines being built and used now & they are not all breaking down constantly.
http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight-five_engine

george

To be fair the Germans have a habit generally making stuff properly! Even Volvo's D5 is a sound smooth engine, as is the Td5 when everything works. As Wiki says the problem with a 5 pot is it is always applying torque through the 720 degrees of roation, with overlap. The DMF smoothes this out.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Audis had a better designed or longer lasting flywheel, however they still do "wear out" so to speak and the Volvo boys have lots of articles on doing replacements as well.
Steve

georgew

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 11:09:56 AM »
The 5 cylinder vw/audi engine from a van was a great engine to use in Stockcars/Superstocks & stuff a good few years ago, i dont know anymore if they are still coveted or even used..

Works well in some Fords, really nice with a Powershift auto.

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

rangerovering

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 11:55:57 AM »
My father had a '93 Audi 100 2.5 TDI - same engine as the Volvos. Fantastic car, smooth, quiet, comfortable, economical (it had the much questioned 6 speed box) and was generally the best car I think we had when I was a kid.

It's still on the road, albeit with 100k more miles than the guy thinks (the dealer replaced the speedo at 100k because it broke). Would love to buy it back and restore it one day.
Steve