no reverse on an lt77 box

· 13 · 5369

jumbo

• drive through car wash landrover style
    • photo bucket
no reverse on an lt77 box
« on: July 31, 2010, 12:40:15 AM »
ok the tanks throwing its latest tantrum. it simply refuses to engage reverse gear. the stick wont phisicaly move over (reverse is next door to 1st) its like having a system to prevent you engaging reverse accidentaly when trying to find 1st. looked through haynes but found a section to fix it if your reverse light wont light when you engage reverse but nothing to say if reverse wont engage at all. any ideas if its a common/easy fix problem or another big bill job
cheers, doug
doug
2005 3door freelander td4
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

warning::: any jokes posted by myself come with a health warning!!!!!

coolcamper55

Re: no reverse on an lt77 box
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:16:10 AM »
Who is Big Bill :D :D
Seriously though have you looked at RAVE, it might give you some answers if you try Mr Google you should be able to find it, failing that suggest getting another gear box and swapping it out might be cheaper than dismantling yours to find then fix, if it can be, the problem.

Good Luck matey

T

jumbo

• photo bucket
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 09:59:38 AM »
eh mean big money/cash repair job lol, no reference to our esteemed buffalo friend lol
doug
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 10:00:11 AM »
Doug shouldnt that be tanktrum!! ;)!!

You are welcome to bring it through and i will have a look. Should be easier to get to now your not in the middle of a bog!!!!!!

I will be putting the overalls on any way as i will be doing some repair work to the rear of goliath after being the designated recovery vehicle!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 10:01:56 AM by Buffalo Bill »
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

Black Sheep

• "should have bought a 90"
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 04:45:54 PM »

You are welcome to bring it through and i will have a look. Should be easier to get to now your not in the middle of a bog!!!!!!

I will be putting the overalls on any way as i will be doing some repair work to the rear of goliath after being the designated recovery vehicle!!
Goliath, i like that name and it does suit it. I might call mine DFS after last night and get a drinks cabinet installed :-)

Regards
Ross

jumbo

• photo bucket
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 05:36:06 PM »

Goliath, i like that name and it does suit it. I might call mine DFS after last night and get a drinks cabinet installed :-)

Regards
Ross

please elaborate.....is this because its always going cheap in a sale??

doug
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

Black Sheep

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 10:30:15 PM »

Regards
Ross

please elaborate.....is this because its always going cheap in a sale??

[/quote]
Bill was a passenger for a while at Glentarkie last night and we were joking about how comfortable he was and it was like driving a sofa. Trouble was we also happened to be sinking rapidly into one of tarkies infamous mudholes at the time......but we were doing it in comfort lol  :)
and it wasn't the jeep btw.

All the best
Ross

jumbo

• photo bucket
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 07:05:03 AM »
hmmmm so you can get stuck....in comfort now lol. wish id known that with the 90, i was afraid i was going to be singing suprano for life at one point :-[ :-[
doug
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

Black Sheep

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 01:44:50 PM »
hmmmm so you can get stuck....in comfort now lol. wish id known that with the 90, i was afraid i was going to be singing suprano for life at one point :-[ :-[
Actually we eventually got out of the hole due to my superb off road skills <cough>  ;D

mental malc

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 08:08:40 PM »
Chances are the detent plunger that prevents you selecting reverse accidentally has seized up . Its attached to the top of the gearbox with 2 bolts . Its easily accessible if you remove the transmission tunnel . Mine was getting steadily more difficult to select reverse and then it seized in the middle of a trials section { a real pain in the *****}. It took me about 3/4 of an hour to remove it so i could keep using reverse that day and freed it off and refitted it once home . It never gave any bother after that . I would try that first as the LT77 never really gives reverse problems unless its been well abused .

jumbo

• photo bucket
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 10:32:40 PM »
malc, thats exactly how mines failled.
have to say a big thankyou to peter for his patience :-[ am afraid techy talk isnt my style lol. anyway he came out to have a look, nothing immediately noticeable so i got a clean up job to do, take off a wee bit dirt (now where did that come from ::) ) and see if we can find whats wrong. hopefully it is simple fix.
hoping it will be sorted by coulport or could be an interesting weekend lol
doug
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 11:03:17 PM »
Ive welded up the back of go;iath so you should be ok for recovery!!! :P
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

jumbo

• photo bucket
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 11:12:30 PM »
suppose the 90 isnt allowed a shunt anyway.... ::)
if it cant be sorted by weekend then id be volunteering for marshals duty lol, got the weekend off work so dont plan on missing it
doug
1986 90s/w with 200tdi