Sls compressor still going?

· 13 · 2770

geeman

• Name: Graeme Hill
Sls compressor still going?
« on: November 08, 2016, 05:25:06 PM »
Looking for advice Gents/Ladies,

Got my td5 a year ago with the sis air suspension bags already removed and coils fitted.

This morning it the car failed to start (flat battery). Started with a boost pack no probs. upon investigation I can hear the sls compressor constantly whirring away underneath then giving a quiet clunk a bit like a very muffled central locking noise every 45 seconds or so.  The sls button on the dash gives one "ping" when pressed but no sls dash lights come on at any time (not even start up).  no previous experience of this, thought about removing fuse 28 BUT that has an input on ABS too it seems. Is this an ECU reprogram needed so the car knows it ain't there?

Not sure if a related issue, the ABS block is making a very quiet "electrical" noise (think old zx spectrum loading up Paperboy but very quietly).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

53 plate td5 with 105k on the clock

OldJocksRustbucket

Re: Sls compressor still going?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 09:52:41 PM »
Locate and check if the compressor relay under the bonnet is stuck on, you could try unplugging the relay (or disconnect the compressor at its plug) and see how you get on, probably get an error message in the system which you could ignore providing it doesn't interfere with anything else.
Jock

geeman

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 06:20:11 PM »
Thanks Jock,

Will go for unplugging the compressor I think and hope it doesn't throw up any lights.

Graeme

OldJocksRustbucket

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 07:31:32 PM »
Hi Graeme

hope it works for you

Jock

Alan Mc

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 08:08:40 PM »
Hi Graeme. Had the very same problem a few years back when I converted my D2 to coils.  Eventually sorted by removing compressor altogether.  Alan.

geeman

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 05:58:02 PM »
Thanks Alan

oilcan

• Name: Raymond Boyd
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 06:25:35 PM »
It can be turned off with a nanocom diagnostics. Where abouts are you?

geeman

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 08:11:42 AM »
I'm in falkirk.

Have removed the compressor and disconnected the height sensors.  This resulted in a constant bong bong bong when driving above 20mph. To "cure" this I had to plug the sensors and the connector from the comp back in. No more bong bong bong or the clunk noise from the comp area when parked on the drive.

Not exactly problem solved as my battery is draining overnight. Getting a really varied drain of 340mA to an acceptable 20mA.  Battery was taken out and charged but didn't last a night when reconnected. Street was very quiet this morning and when I opened the passenger door then closed it I could hear the noise again. Disconnected the height sensor block where the compressor used to be, no noise and no battery drain. Just needs a wee run to see if it bong bong bongs away at 20mph or not (I strongly suspect it will). Might try disconnecting the bong bong speaker if it does.

The noise from the abs block stops after 10 mins or so and have heard on other posts/forums that this is normal so not too concerned by that.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:55:48 AM by geeman »

oilcan

• Name: Raymond Boyd
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 10:24:45 PM »
Im just down the road from you in Greengairs and ive got a nanocom. I can turn it off for you. Ill just need to ask some people how to do it as mine doesnt have SLS

geeman

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 04:41:01 PM »
Hi guys, wee update. 

I am hopeful that I've found a solution. I disconnected the sensors at the rear radius arms as well as where the compressor sits. No more bong bong above 20mph.

Thanks for the nanocom invite oilcan and if any lights get thrown up by my "mod" then I will gratefully take you up on the offer.  It might be a short term fix pending something else cropping up but its all about keeping her on the road at this time of year.   Need to get myself something mundane that you just turn the key and go perhaps  :(   

Thanks guys, great forum.

OldJocksRustbucket

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 04:46:31 PM »
Think about a defender pre electronic gagetery, they just go on and on
Jock

geeman

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 07:05:06 PM »
Think about a defender pre electronic gagetery, they just go on and on
Jock

;)
👍🏻

geeman

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 12:41:53 PM »
Saga continues.

Didn't start the car for three days and my new battery was flat 5.9v

Finally got time to do a full drain test and seem to have isolated it to fuse 11 umder the bonnet (pulling the relay or the fuse link doesn't cause a drop).

If I park the car up and lock her up I get a drain of 0.4A. If I take fuse 11 out it drops to 0.04A and replacing fuse 11 does not bring it back up.

Open one of the front doors when fuse 11 installed however and the drain returns to 0.4A

Leaving the fuse out brings up the ABS, TC and HDC dash lights on.

I'm hoping that the car hasn't been told about the coil Spring conversion and a programming check might solve this.

Thanks for reading and any offers of nanocom would be gratefully received.