Steering wander

· 13 · 2360

Greigboy

Steering wander
« on: July 02, 2014, 12:38:43 AM »
I've always noticed the steering on my 90 to be a bit vague but since lifting it 2 inches with uprated springs and +2 shocks I've noticed that that at motorway speeds the car wants to wander slightly from side to side and I'm constantly having to correct it to keep it straight, its like watching Reg Varney from on the busses for those that are old enough.

There was a little play in the steering box but I've adjusted the slop out and ghee steering is sharper but its made no difference to the wander.

Now I'm using the standard radius arms and the steering is self centering (in a fashion), but I'm wondering if this steering wander is a symptom of needing cranked arms or if its likely to be something else.

Any thoughts

Cheers

Greig
1986 Land Rover 90 CSW V8

stage recovery

Re: Steering wander
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 01:22:15 AM »
Fitting 2" lift springs with standard radius arms has lost you the castor angle which gives you self centering steering,fit castor corrected radius arms or standard height springs, bear in mind the clearance  under the axles has not changed  by lifting the body.

Greigboy

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 07:01:28 AM »
I understand that the castor angle has altered slightly with the 2 inch lift, there seems a fair bit of debate as to whether cranked arms are required on for a two inch lift many have noticed little or no difference running standard arms and the advice I was given was to try it first as some get away with it and some don't.

I haven't driven the car much before the lift and the steering has always has been a little vague due to a bit of play in the box, my problems also coincide with fitting larger offset rims and 33 inch tyres at the same time as the lift and I'm unaware if the larger tyre could be a factor.

So what I'm looking to establish is whether my symptoms of the steering wandering from side to side slightly is indicative of a loss of castor angle before shelling out for new cranked arms.

Cheers

Sandy M

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 09:35:30 AM »
Check the wheel alignment (toe-in / out) is OK.  After fitting new swivel housings my Ninety had a tad too much toe-out and ran as straight as a 3 legged cow.  Trip to local tyre fitting shop, set back to standard and no further probs.

rangerovering

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 09:51:30 AM »
Have you checked the swivel preload? Wandering is either excessive play somewhere or not enough damping. The swivel bearings are responsible for most of the steering damping not the damper itself - you could drive with no damper and properly set swivels and not miss it.

Suspension bush condition? Rear A frame ball joint?

The wandering was there before so its not caused by the lift, its just been highlighted by it.

Be very careful adjusting steering boxes, too much and you will cause premature failure. Its not just a "do up til its alright" job.

Track rod ends?

Get all the above checked out first, cranked arms are not a solution to vague steering, as Stage Recovery says it is for the self centering
Steve

Dave T

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 12:05:25 PM »
As Steve says there are a whole load of bushes from Panhard rod to rear trailing arms and everything between. Also check the bolts are tight on the bracket that holds the end of the Panhard rod, I found it's just a case going through each bit and sorting and it will improve.

Also the swivel bearings can wear although I found that caused wobble rather than wander.

I also find scruteneering for RTVs helps as different people look and spot minor things that I felt were ok and my steering has improved........ unfortunately my driving hasn't!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:07:01 PM by Dave T »
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Greigboy

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 08:34:32 PM »
Thanks for the replies, the truck was polybushed last year and there isn't anything loose, I only have the box a wee nip, I'm planning to change it for the one in my donor disco in the near future anyway.

The swivel pre load is possibly a good shout, the swivels are in very good nick which probably suggests they've been changed and maybe not shimmed correctly
The track rods are okay but the A frame ball joint has perhaps seen better days

I'll get a better look at the weekend

Cheers

rangerovering

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 11:47:57 AM »
The swivels do bed in, trick was to go an extra pound or 2 when on new bearings so that once they settled it was at the right loading. They will need checked peridocially so worth a look.

Is it on the early drop arm with the integrated ball joint? They are well known to give less precise steering, the later type with the tapered hole and track rod in the steering bar are much better
Steve

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 02:35:55 PM »
I gave my disco 1 a 2" lift (springs) and have found very little difference in the self centering until i get to almost full lock.
have you tried standard size wheels and tyres for comparison
She said at my age I need something else to play with

Greigboy

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 05:58:02 PM »
The swivels do bed in, trick was to go an extra pound or 2 when on new bearings so that once they settled it was at the right loading. They will need checked peridocially so worth a look.

Is it on the early drop arm with the integrated ball joint? They are well known to give less precise steering, the later type with the tapered hole and track rod in the steering bar are much better

Yeah it is an early drop arm which is why I was going to swap it out for the disco one.

I'm also going to swap out the 10 spline defender axles for the 24 spline disco ones and I'm going to it new bearings and seals on with that.

The A frame ball joint may be the fella though, I took it up to Oban today and the need to constantly correct the front feels like its being cause by the back end being a bit vague coming out of bends etc

Big Rich

• Name: Richard Baird
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 09:08:30 PM »
Just a thought after reading your posts. If you change the engine, gearbox and axles for the discovery ones will there be enough left of the 90 for it to still retain its origial reg or will it become a 90 bodied discovery.

Greigboy

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 11:36:57 PM »
Sorry Rich I never seen this reply, it's on its original body and chassis, changing the axles and engine wouldn't require a change of registration, their just mechanical components.
As long as the new engine is put onto the log book it's all hunky dory.

I've still not had time to do anything with it as work is completely manic with the bloody games and it's hardly turned a wheel in the last 2 weeks.

On the plus side though since adjusting the steering box it's stopped leaking..........yes there is fluid in it 😜

diydafty

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 07:32:11 PM »
its like watching Reg Varney from on the busses for those that are old enough.

I'm old enough to remember Stanley Baker in "The Hell Drivers" and that's what it's like driving my series 1, lol ;)