SIII Swivel pin - how many shims?

· 6 · 1620

CBRCBR

SIII Swivel pin - how many shims?
« on: August 29, 2011, 10:45:38 PM »
I am rebuilding both swivels (1972, SIII, SWB 2.25 petrol).  When I stripped both sides there were shims on the lower steering arm.  The parts catalogue shows shims in this position, but the workshop manual does not mention them (and in fact says the arm is fitted direct to the outer swivel pin housing), and Haynes say no shims should be fitted here on models like mine with the steering arm on the bottom. 
On reduilding one side with a new swivel ball, I have now got 5 shims on the upper swivel pin.  The pre-load is set okay, and the Railko bush, and lower bearing track are seated properly. 
I therefore have 2 questions:
1)  Am I correct in not fitting shims to the lower steering arm/swivel pin?
2)  Is it a problem to have 5 shims on the upper swivel pin?
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers, Clive

rangerovering

Re: SIII Swivel pin - how many shims?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »
I just did mine not long ago, same steering arm set up as you. I bolted the steering arm straight on at the bottom with no shims, it came off that way! From memory I have something like 5 or 6 shims in the top pin, wasn't a problem though. I think you will be OK!
Steve

CBRCBR

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 01:03:50 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

I will carry on, and put the previous fitment of shims on the steering arm down to error of the previous owner, (another one).  I wonder what else I am going to find.

Cheers, Clive

DWB

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 08:12:16 PM »
I thought you were meant to use as many or as few shims it took to get the pre-load on the swivel arm correct. They're available in different thicknesses too if I remember right.

Cheer.

aqms987

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 09:29:21 PM »
 The pre-load should be checked with the rest of the steering disconnected & by use of a spring balance on the steering arm recording a steady 10 to 12lbs on the spring balance as the hub swivels if my memory is dependable.

rangerovering

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 10:44:44 PM »
The pre-load should be checked with the rest of the steering disconnected & by use of a spring balance on the steering arm recording a steady 10 to 12lbs on the spring balance as the hub swivels if my memory is dependable.

You remember correctly ;) The figure in the manuals is for when there is no oil seal fitted , having it fitted adds a fair amount of resistance to the reading. If you have all new bearings then it is a good trick is to tighten everything up to a couple of pounds stiffer to allow for the bearings settling with use. That way the steering will stay athe right preload for longer.
Steve