300tdi or td5 Disco

· 12 · 3422

gary1968

300tdi or td5 Disco
« on: December 17, 2012, 06:14:49 PM »
Howdy,

Its been a while since I sold my last LR and must admit I am missing it.
SWMBO suggested that we swap cars, mine is more suitable for the new baby, and I sell her Seat Ibiza and get another Disco.
I have been looking around and with my proposed budget of around £2k I can get a nice late 300tdi or an early td5. I have  owned both versions, a M reg 300tdi and a W reg td5. I preferred the simplicity of the 300 but I also liked the refinement of the td5, decisions, decisions, lol.
So, what would guys buy, 300tdi or td5 and why??
Look forward to reading your thoughts.

Cheers,
Gary

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
Re: 300tdi or td5 Disco
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 06:58:38 PM »
OR

Disco 1 3.9 V8i auto with LPG

Disco 2 4.0 V8i auto with LPG

more fun, better sound, cheap to buy and with lpg at about 70p same runnin costs at a dirty diesel.

you did ask......

Drew.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

gary1968

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 07:01:54 PM »
OR

Disco 1 3.9 V8i auto with LPG

Disco 2 4.0 V8i auto with LPG

more fun, better sound, cheap to buy and with lpg at about 70p same runnin costs at a dirty diesel.

you did ask......

Drew.

lol, aye, I suppose I did. I didn't consider the v8's tbh. It might be worth looking for one that has already been converted.
So that raises more questions as I know absolutely nowt about lpg converted cars, what are the pit falls, what should I look out for?

Gaz

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:06:13 PM »
I know of a 7 seat td5 auto that will be available soon, fully pro serviced before sale. Pm if interested
Steve

ffourphantomfixer

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 05:27:34 PM »
Gaz.

I was also new to lpg untill I did mine, its just another fuel type realy, I went for underslung tanks  (one on each side) as I wanted to keep the rear seats and the standard fuel tank. filling it is easy and quick and there are lots of places to fuel up, ive never had any problems getting lpg and even if it does run out you just go back onto petrol. with an injected v8 switching over either way is instant, a v8 on carbs needs the carbs run dry before you switch over to lpg.

I went for the V8 disco as they were about half the price of a tdi at the time.  nobody wants V8 petrol
and with lpg fitted they are slightly cheaper to run £ for £

Go for one with a certificated lpg install and walk away if it does not run perfectly on both fuels.

Speak to Steve (rangerovering) on here for tuning info on the v8 as he gets better than 22 mpg on petrol which will be high 30s on lpg £ for £.

Drew.

gary1968

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 12:32:15 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.
The only issue I still have with regard to V8's is wading........... diesel is gotta be better when it is in deep water.

Gaz

ffourphantomfixer

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 04:32:25 PM »
Yip obviously, tho how ofter do you go beyond 500mm?

Ive never done it, and there will be people on here who have and can advise better, but my thoughts are with a raised air intake and a Kenlow fan you "should" be able to go almost as high as the plugs, wonder how the comp guys do it.

Drew.

Malc

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 11:24:51 AM »
I've had me defender footwells full of water before - defo more than half a metre. Its a V8 3.5 carbs (with lpg)  and its got a 2" lift. Its got snorkle, axle/gearbox breather kit and dizzy/coil rubber jackets to help. Standard fan though so it gets splashed about all over the place.

I've just bought a 300 tdi disco 1 and very pleased with it. The main reason I bought this and not a TD5 is I want it never to have to go into a garage, so I wanted basic mechanics. I use it every day. I dunno where the ecu on the td5 discos are, but they have proven to be an achilles heel on the td5 defenders when wading, as they are under the seats. Computer gets wet and engine won't run.

I get about 31mpg with the 300tdi disco 1. Quick calc....diesel at £1.40 litre, lpg at 71p a litre, a V8 disco would have to get worse than 15.7mpg for it to cost more to run than my diesel. So F4phantom has a point. I bought my defender already converted. Just make sure you get the installation cert and apart from that its the same principles as buying anything. Oh and as big an lpg tank as you can. Mines a 90 litre and I get about 150 miles out of it - though that'll be a single figure mpg from my defender...... :'(
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

graeme1mckay

• Name: graeme mckay
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 09:24:51 PM »
I had a p plate 300tdi disco. Repaired it myself and i only have very very basic mechanic skills. I replaced it with a 51plate td5 disco 2. Biggest mistake ive ever made. Misfire blamed on wiring harness which ar ebad for soaking up oil and transportin it to cpu, same misfire came back and was then blamed on fuel pump, misfire again blamed on air flow meter, misfire again fuel filter, again main wire harness then dad in law suggested injector seal as did lots of people here. Touch wood cured. Always back to a garage because it. Required diagnostics. Hate tech. Next car is going to be old and computerless

aqms987

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 10:53:26 PM »
 Just sold my TD5 110, had it four & a half years, kept it regularly serviced (myself) and had no probs at all. Guess it is just luck!
 Now have a 110 TDCI, hope I am equally lucky with this one. I do work them hard in the forests as a MSA Recovery Unit but my right foot is FIRMLY attached to my wallet

ffourphantomfixer

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 08:08:16 PM »
You decided yet Gary?

aqms987

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 10:52:27 PM »
Further to my item on my new (to me) TDCI, had my first problem this week. My vehicle shut down into "limp home" mode ie half power, according to the diagnostic computer it was my EGR valve which was seized shut, A new valve & lots of green drinking vouchers later the problem appears to be resolved, once the valve was replaced I had to get it back on the dreaded computer to tell the ECU it had been replaced! Not a roadside job but hopefully the performance will be worth it! I will advise if it takes ill again.