Radiator / expansion tank cap ? Fixed ! new problem

· 5 · 1785

Dunc

• Name: Duncan Thomson
Radiator / expansion tank cap ? Fixed ! new problem
« on: January 30, 2014, 07:47:01 PM »
  :) Hi I am in need of some advice and info . I have a 2.5 diesel P38 , it looses water but it is not mixing with the oil , it does not leak out while it is standing or running . I am wondering if the cap is on the road out ?? The cap has a yellow base with 140 marked on it . Don't know if this is the temp rating or the pressure for the radiator .  Any advice appreciated !!   :)

Cheers Duncan
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:20:23 AM by Dunc »
If a hammer won't fix it, get a bigger hammer !!

Dunc

Re: Radiator / expansion tank cap ???
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 10:54:12 PM »
 :) Ok I think I may have been barking up the wrong tree . I noticed that there was a bit of water on the passenger front mat and underneath
     on the carpet it's damp . Would I be right in thinking that the heater matrix " o " rings , if so what would be the best way to change them ??
                                   Cheers Duncan  :)

watty

• Adventure B4 Dementia
  • Name: Paul Waters
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 08:17:02 PM »
Hi Duncs
Paul Waters here, I don't have a clue bout your P38 matrix 'o' rings, think you might need to change the whole matrix mate, anyway just thought i'd let you know i'm on here now too.
2001 Freelander1 td4 es
Kia Soul Echo CRDI in white

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 11:59:46 PM »
Hi Duncan,
                the heater pipe o rings are on the drivers side of the transmision tunnel, normally water in the footwells comes in through either the pollen filters or the plastic scuttle and then the wiper support brackets underneath then running into the heater motors ending up in the footwell.
If your using water try and get someone to pressure test your cooling system to help find the leak, when I had my p38,I put a fluorescent additive in to the coolant( used for Scania trucks) it made the coolant hi-vis green so leaks were easy to spot.

best of luck,
                 Stevie.

Dunc

Re: Radiator / expansion tank cap ? Fixed ! new problem
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 12:26:45 AM »
 :)  :) I have now identified and fixed my leak problem , seems I wasn't screwing the radiator cap on tight enough , " doh " total Homer
         moment . I have however found that the water on the front mat is due to a blocked water soak under the pollen filter , which I am
         going to fix as soon as I can get the time .Now I've a new problem although I'll start a fresh thread for it . 
              Many thanks and at least I noticed before somebody told me I was thick !! LOL                Duncan :D