Steering box help

· 7 · 1449

The Classic Man

• Name: Robin Watt
Steering box help
« on: July 18, 2011, 06:20:37 PM »
Can anyone help me , I`m in the process of fitting a new steering box to my Td5 and could do with some help. Any nice kind hearted sole out there willing to lend a hand. I am based in Dumbarton, please e-mail or pm me if you can help.
The Classic Man
Heros & RNLI member

geoff

Re: Steering box help
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 09:30:26 PM »
i assume you have started, how far did you get. It's tricky to to. If i remember, getting the pipe threds to start without crossing them isn't easy.

Geoff

The Classic Man

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 10:48:02 PM »
Have`nt even got to the pipes yet, still to get the steering column undone, got most of the underside work done, are you offering?.
The Classic Man
Heros & RNLI member

geoff

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 11:10:54 PM »
sorry, too far away. Take the 8mm bolts completely out. Knock the column towards the box, you can spread the clamps with a big flat screwdriver. A bit of WD40 will help.

Geoff
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:07:06 PM by geoff »

coolcamper55

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 06:10:16 AM »
If you are doing this then you need an assistant, the weight of the box will give you a fright and when it comes to putting it back on you need someone to hold it up while you put the bolts into the chassis member.
Also depending on what you have purchased getting the drop arm off is definitely not an easy job.
I am just across the river from you and if you PM me I can maybe pop over and help, depending on timing

Tommy

mac

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 09:16:28 AM »
for what it's worth, for the cost of the drop arm, if you don't have a hydraulic puller to hand just get a new one.  Once you factor in the time and blood/sweat/tears it simply isn't worth it (unless you have had a very leaky box for a very long time and the old drop arm is VERY well pre-lubed  ;) )  I think it's reasonably easy to get the steering box in a get at least one bolt started, as long as you have the wheel off, but I have done a few  :-\

The Classic Man

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 07:41:27 PM »
Have purchased new s/box complete with drop arm at nearly ?300. This is a sod of a job. Now I need new PAS pipes. Anti roll bar link from L/R is app ?80 plus vat. Purchased one from Island 4x4 at ?8 and ?60 for pipes. Where dose L/R get there prices from.
The Classic Man
Heros & RNLI member