Re: New Battery ?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 08:46:20 PM »
Thanks agin guys,

I will update you all soon,

Donald

ZebraDriver

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 09:07:02 PM »
You need to make sure that the ignition light (the red light on the dash) is working i.e. it should be on when the engine is not turning and it should go off when the engine starts.  The light is more than simply an indicator, it also controls the charging circuit, for this reason it is important that it is fitted with a 2.2 watt bulb.  Before you fit another alternator make sure that this part of the circuit works - its easy to test, all you have to do is to take the small lead that goes to the back of the alternator (the one grouped with the two heavy terminals) and earth it with the ignition switched on.  At this point the ignition light should come on.

N.B. I'm assuming that your Land Rover is fitted with an alternator that has a square 3 pin plug that fits into the back of it, with two heavy and one light wire into it)

ZD

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 10:17:48 PM »
Thanks ZD,

I will try that, don't think it's a plug on the back of the alternator, but the 3 wires ( 2 heavy brown and a thin red ) are attached to a bolt that sticks out the alternator.

Cheers

Donald

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 02:13:38 AM »
the battery only reads 12v no matter what the revs are at( liquid bubbling on end cell when large metal prong thing put on to test ) ,mechanic says that's the sign of a fault cell?

Change the battery

I checked the alternator today again reading just under 12v ,

Change the alternator

the short thin black wire with spade terminal connection on it is NOT connected to anything ??? Would this make any difference, 

Reconnect this on the new/used alternator and your ign warning light will now work.

All Done.

Drew.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

ZebraDriver

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 08:14:39 PM »
The wire to the ignition light won't be grouped on a single bolt (stud) with the heavy leads, it will connect elsewhere on the alternator.  Sounds like yours has been disconnected, possibly to hide a faulty alternator.

I've just checked a couple of wiring diagrams, chances are the wire to the charge light should be brown/yellow

ZD
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 08:35:27 PM by ZebraDriver »

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 02:17:05 PM »
How did you get on with this?
She said at my age I need something else to play with

kvz2000

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 07:22:05 PM »
Hi guys,

Just on my way home after a few days break, got a text from my mechanic saying it needed a new alternator !!i will pick it up tomorrow and give you further details after I have spoken to him.

Cheers

Donald

kvz2000

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 09:48:50 PM »
Hi guys,

Picked up my Landy today, new alternator fitted and now the ignition light works and it should be charging, I will soon see when I start it in the morning but sure it will be fine.

Hopefully start having some fun in it soon,

Thanks for all the advice,

Donald.