Done some major work on the 300tdi convertion today.

· 12 · 4155

Scott110

Done some major work on the 300tdi convertion today.
« on: April 18, 2011, 08:51:09 PM »
Day of work so set about fitting the exaust system. What i done was leave the cat replacment downpipe as standard and fitted up the single rear silencer section so evryhting was in place. Then i took the silencer replacment straight through pipe and cut 6 inches out of it. I was gona just use pipe and join the halves together but though sod it im gona try weld it back together. Luckily and with patience it worked and looking down inside i got failry decent penetration all way round. Grinded the weldes back to make em look good as a first attempt they were a bit lumpy in places. Started it up and it sounds sweet not too loud at all. Then i got the Induction cone filter and slapped it straight onto the turbo. It does spool up very quickly now. The Kenlowe fan sooks like a beast hell of alot of air movement through them things. Its wired directly to the battery via a 3 way toggle switch on my dash so i can select on/off or low and high power. Will finish bleeding the power steering after work tomorow and start cleaning her up a bit ready for her wkend test drive.
Even though the convertion took me a while its been very enjoyable and being a landy nothing was really an issue after sitting down having a ciggy and a cup of coffee and a good think about it. Cant wait for the next engine fitting now but thats a few months off yet not got a shed built yet to home the 90 whilst i rebuild it.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

piper5

Re: Done some major work on the 300tdi convertion today.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 07:17:38 AM »
hi scott you mention the air filter straight onto the turbo , have you done away with the intercooler then?
if so i think you might have an issue with fuel mixtures?

Scott110

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 09:16:15 PM »
The air filter is one of those cone shaped ones you see on performance cars. Bottom hose of intercooler goes to turbo and the top intercooler hose goes to the inlet on the side of the engine the flat alloy part cant mind its name. Seems to run fine no surging no smoke etc.
 Had one of the club members over tonight to have a wee look and he seemed happy enough with the end result. I did change the fan wiring again but might change it back as i was adviced i may be robbing power. I have one of the feeds to the fan fitted to the tacho terminal on the alternator so the fan runs at low speed along with the engine with a switch in the cab to engage full power. The fan is going through fuses and resistors if thats what their called so to make sure it dont get cooked. Apart from a budgie trapped in the engine bay it runs nice. Thought i had put the clutch in wrong as the gears would not engage but i remeber making sure i had the flywheel side correct after reading the engraving on the plate. In the end it was my master cyclinder was setup for my old worn clutch. gears still a little tight but engage with engine running.Reverse is a bit crunchy ill have to see what hapopens on a longer drive hoping its just needing to sort itself out.

piper5

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:22:45 PM »
your chirping is probably the tensioner, i tried one of the kits on ebay recently that supplies just the bearing and circlip which worked well for about ?4

is the air filter setup a landrover aftermarket job or just something that fits?

for the gearbox change the oil for some of the semi synthetic stuff makes a big difference to a sticky box
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:30:28 PM by piper5 »

Scott110

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:56:11 PM »
The filter is a Hlafords special for only ?10 as the nice lady knows me and givces me discount its a k&n copy.
How tight are these belts ament to be the one on myne was a smaller version to compensate for the smaller alternator pulley fitted and it was real tight to get the tentioner on... bit concerned ill knacker the water pump if its wrong. Ill try the chalk test first then replace the bearing.

Scott110

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 09:01:32 PM »
The old girl is back on the road. Was ament to be done yesterday but the high pressure power steering hose exploded as soon as i turned the wheels on the ground after bleeding throwing oil all over the engine bay. Stopped the budgie squeeling though  ;D.
Its damn impressive the 300tdi engine. Dont know if its due to the straight through exuast, cone air filter and blanked egr but its way more gutsy and responsive the the 200tdi. Pickup is very strong and hardly any lag. The noise from the airfilter setup and turbo is fantastic.
Dont think ill even bother to tune it further im more than happy with its performance now.
Took a while but so worth it.

Scott110

The transplant is complete. Pics.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 07:46:26 PM »
Here a pictures of my blue 110 300tdi convertion.

Truckster

• Really must fit A/T's..........
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 08:08:32 PM »
Nice truck....!!!! :) :)

With no Goddess on the road, im having MAJOR green oval withdrawal symptoms... :( Didnt realise how bloody addictive they are....bit like chocolate!!! ;D
Mel ( & canine navigators )
109 Station Wagon-'The Goddess'- Sick Chassis...gutted!!
109 Station Wagon-'Firefly'-in need of tlc!!!
109 Ex-mil Rolling Chassis
Mk5 Blue Oval ( Goddess in training!!)

Scott110

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 09:37:52 PM »
Lol yes they are very bad for your health indeed they demand constant attention, dont pay any bills at all and just fleece you for all your moneys worth.....but noway would i ever change them or sell any of myne for that matter. I cant even bring myself to break my wee green 90 for its bodywork for the other 90 rebuild... that wee motor laughed at the blue truck when it died over the winter it laughed so hard even after sitting for several months it fired straight up past its MOT and got me back to work. I do think i have a problem thank god i now have no room left.

Scott110

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 07:04:48 PM »
So had the newly converted 110 of on her maiden camping trip at the wkend. 120 mile round journey. Was a joy on the hills has so much torque dont think i shifted from 5th. Offroad diffrent it did struggle on sharp steep hills but eventually just ran around evrywhere in low range. Few things ive noticed. Think the radiator is goosed after sitting so long so gona replace it she does not overheat but does get warm or maybe its the convertion temp sender problem. To be safe ill get a new radiator. Managed to break the rear exuast hanger but not surpricing failry bumpy tracks we go on and more i should have done a better job with stronger brackets now resolved and fixed. And its MPG looks good less than the 200tdi but 125 miles and still not refilled for ?20 aint bad. Its a noisy bugger though turbo screams its head off and the exuast a raspy deisel sound...

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 07:55:39 AM »
Hi Scott

Im thinking of putting a 300tdi in my 110 how hard is it? and was it worth it i have a 200tdi in it at the moment . did the disco water pipes fit etc?

Cheers Bill
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

Scott110

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 08:03:29 PM »

The 300tdi convertion is simple to do manged it fine bar the engine mounts they need moved. The bottom radiator hose will fit from the disco. As will the 3 way split pipe. The heater pipes and top hoses both need replaced.Plastic disco or metal defender expantion tank both fit and work fine. temp sender needs replaced with convertion or it reads high but i have read they read high anyways as the guage is not fully compatiable with the convertion something im looking into.
Convertion exuast if you dont want to mod the gearbox crossmember to allow a factory look exaust as the convertion models have much smaller bore.
Power steering pipes might need done i used hydraulic winch pipes bit overkill but damn strong.
Few other bits and bobs. Took me ages to find a welder for the mounts once that was done its was very straight forward and enjoyable to do.
Power wise id say about the same as my 200tdi but gets there much quicker and lots more torque. Mpg cant tell really thought it wa less but i think its the same.
Hope this helps can take pics of certain things in the bay or underside if required.
Cheers.
Scott