Defender 110 - Leaks

· 8 · 1987

Mik

• Name: Miklos Gasz
Defender 110 - Leaks
« on: May 12, 2015, 09:57:14 PM »
Hi All,

Hope you all have experience with fixing leaks and can give me some useful advice.  :)

My Defender is leaking, how I can see from around the roof.
I am parking on a slight slope and when I move the Landy level water starts pouring in from between the roof and the inner lining right onto my leg/lap.

I have sealed the corner where the three panels come together and some of the roof gutter. It has become significantly better but still getting water in. My next idea is to take the roof rack off and seal around the gutters.

Taking the roof rack off is a big job for me and at least one other person. So before I do it I ask:

- Is there any other place it could be leaking from that does not require the roof rack removed? I would try that first.
- Also, what is a good/practical way of removing the old sealant from the gutters? Last time it didn't go too well.
- And finally: For the case I get tired of playing with it, can anyone suggest someone in or near Edinburgh who is experienced in fixing Defender leaks and could do it for me?

Any ideas, suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
Mik

geoff

Re: Defender 110 - Leaks
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 05:01:26 AM »
Hi Mik,

Unfortunately you have joined the ranks of 1000's of land rover owners who have wet legs.
This is like an incurable disease. Nobody knows. It's a phenomenon.

I believe there was a trial done a few years ago to test how air tight 4x4's are.
A cat was put inside a Toyota and a 110.
7 days later the cat in the Toyota had suffocated.
The cat in the 110 had actually escaped.

As you have caught the land rover bug and won't be able to bring yourself to buy anything else, there is only one solution.
It's the one I did.
Move to Abu Dhabi ;D

cheers

Geoff

lurch032003

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 07:23:52 AM »
Hi ,
I don't own your type of vehicle but do have a s3 which had leaks, I unbolted the roof at front and sides loose and armed with a mastic gun plunged quantities of it all round and then re tightened the roof down .the following day went round with a Stanley and cut all the excess off  or if your able to raise the roof sides of enough to put in the rubber seals all round is other option, it is also worth checking the seals of the door are making good water tight contact if not replacement of them may be required.
Unfortunately most landys suffer from leaks but some of the above does and can cure them. Also if the inside of your roof is bare metal try fitting a roof liner to it to stop condensation build up.
HTH john

piper5

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 07:28:27 AM »
does your 110 have vents above the back door on the rear roof panel ? thats the usual spot if they are fitted seal them up

Reacher

• Name: Brian Rowan

Mik

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 02:52:16 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks for all the input.
I had the impression that Landy owners can't be bothered by leaks - or gave up fixing it.  :)

Unfortunately there is no vent on the back of my Defender so this most probably isn't it.
And yes, I have read the manual, that's why I have sealed the right upper corner (with some success) and that's why my next thought would be the gutters.

But a manual can be far from actual practice so anyone who had water pouring onto his lap and managed to fix it successfully is welcome to share what he has done.

Cheers,
Mik

P.S. In Abu Dhabi I wouldn't be bothered by it either. :)

geoff

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 05:40:03 PM »
P.S. In Abu Dhabi I wouldn't be bothered by it either. :)

It's not all good, it rained one day in January  ;D

Mik

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 02:29:30 PM »
It's mostly leaking sand isn't it?   :D