defender lt77 reverse

· 2 · 1058

gflx

• Name: graeme fleck
defender lt77 reverse
« on: February 18, 2013, 04:04:19 PM »
Hi guys.

My LT77 box on my Defender 90 has decided it will not engage reverse. The stick will not even move over and it is as if reverse doesn’t exist, simply slips up and down from 1st to 2nd.
Some of the googling I have done today is pointing to the reverse detent, however I’m man enough to admit I know nothing about mechanics  and this means nothing to me, I am very much learning as I go at the moment.
Checked the reverse light switch mid bog at Drumclog yesterday and it seems to be fine, will be worth checking again I’m sure.
Anyone out there had this problem before or is there any other problems that could be causing this.

Cheers
Graeme
1990 defender 90 truck cab

Sandy M

Re: defender lt77 reverse
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:01:14 PM »
Could be the detent worn, siezed or gunged up.  fairly easy to check - remove the transmission tunnel cover, and then undo the two bolts holding the detent gubbins (right side at the base of the lever, it is an oval flange with two M8 bolts) to the selector housings.  Remove detent gubbins and try to select reverse. Strip, clean, reassemble or buy another gearbox depending what you find  :o.