Discovery 2 Front Recovery Point

· 9 · 4752

boghog

Discovery 2 Front Recovery Point
« on: January 03, 2011, 03:37:36 PM »
From my exploration of the Internet I find that front recovery points of any use are few and far between for the Disco 2. YellowDisco and Moonter have mentioned a custom job made by GEMM 4x4 in Larbert, anyone got one fitted and have a photo they could post to see what it looks like?

Sounds like a far better option than Jate rings or splashing the cash for a winch bumper which will never wear a winch. There are some steering-guards out there which claim to have recovery eyes but from what I have seen they look a bit weedy if someone were to try a snatch recovery. Open to better ideas.

Perhaps if Bobby is perusing the thread he might forward details!

Cheers, Calum.

yellodisco

• Name: Alan Griffith
Re: Discovery 2 Front Recovery Point
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:52:54 AM »
Hi Calum,
here's a photo of hook fabricated and fitted by Gemm - its basically a piece of box section that bolts between front chassis legs, with a tractor hook welded into the centre - in the picture there's a shackle attached. Its pretty solid and i was really pleased with job that gemm did - its been used to pull the Disco out of some very sticky bogs! I've taken away most of the plastic surrounds from the front but if getting one fitted you could retain most of it so that you would just have a discreet loop sticking out.
I hope to be at Manor powis tyro on Sunday if you're going to be there and want a closer look.
Alan

Gary

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:54:27 AM »
I went for a Southdown steering guard mainly because it was cheaper than Gemm's solution and I wanted some steering protection.

I've since managed to bend both recovery points. One was bent by hitting a bank that was steeper than my approach angle. The other was while using a winch from another vehicle attached to it to stop my car sliding sideways into a barbed wire fence.

I spoke to Southdown who said there would be no problem with straightening them or they'd sell me replacement side plates at cost. I haven't got round to doing either yet.

My bumper is now knackered so if I can get enough cash together for the Rock Bumper on here
http://www.tp4x4.com/landrover_discovery_2.htm
then I'll ditch the steering guard and go for strengthened drag link and track rod. They can do the bumper with a 2" receiver which I'd use for recovery.

Gary
(aka Moonter)
MM6GRG
TD5 Discovery

boghog

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 01:36:13 PM »
Thanks guys,

Great response and excellent photo. I have no issues with the lower bumper section as a previous owner obviously offroaded and removed it. Car has an SLROC sticker on the windscreen, so didn't have to buy one! Seems like my thoughts on the steering-guard option were correct.

Cheers, Calum.

boghog

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 02:21:36 PM »
Saw a Disco 2 at the Manor Powis Tyro with what looked like the GEMM recovery point solution fitted and it looks 'substantial' to say the least. A very neat arrangement when the original bumper is retained.

Suppose I have to get the price now from GEMM!

pitcaig

• SLROC Member no.2152
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 04:24:22 PM »
Hi That would be mine you saw. Blue facelifted one, Mines was the first to get the GEMM recovery point.

Graeme

yellodisco

• Name: Alan Griffith
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »
hi Graeme, I should have mentioned in post above that you also had one - good that you were at MP today for Calum to see it - I obviously didn't get there - been looking at another landy!

Now, about yours being the first one - was that the prototype where they ironed out all the mistakes before making me the first "proper" one? - only joking, they are an excellent addition to a D2. ;)

sandman77

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 12:09:20 PM »
I also fancy adding one to my D2, maybe Bobby could give us a wee discount ;)

bobby

• www.gemm4x4.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 11:34:32 PM »

it is not up to me i just work there   give george a call 01324 557735
We drive the landrovers, we brake the landrovers, I fix the landrovers. GEMM 4X4 LTD workshop@gemm4x4.co.uk,, slrocchairman at gmail.com