Engine Warning Light coming on

· 15 · 5603

gm1mqe

Engine Warning Light coming on
« on: December 25, 2010, 01:37:10 PM »
The engine warning light in my 2007 defender just came on. Typical, it failed on Christmas day. Did a bit of basic checking and can not find anything obviously wrong. The engine will only rev up to 3000 revs now - is this some sort of "get u home" mode. Stopping and restarting the engine makes no difference. Engine warning light stays on. Does this have to be fixed ASAP?

Am I right in thinking that the only way to fix this is going to a garage that has the hardware to read off the error codes?

Thanks, Andy

coolcamper55

Re: Engine Warning Light coming on
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 09:41:40 PM »
I had this on my 2003 Defender TD5 and it was the MAF sensor, I disconnected it and the car would start OK and run for a while but if hooked back up it would not rev up and would only limp along.

If I remember correctly yours is a Puma so you need to find someone with the right load in their Nanocom, I dont have one otherwise would be happy to help.

Good Luck

Tommy

gm1mqe

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:43:31 AM »
Took it to our local garage, owner is club member, and they displayed the error codes (p0404 and P1103) and then reset them and the problem has not come back. Thanks to the replies I received on the forum and via Email. I think I will get one of the units that uses a PC to allow display and resetting error codes.

Thanks, Andy

coolcamper55

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 04:58:27 PM »
would be interested to find out what type of unit / software you get.

Thanks,

Tommy

piper5

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 10:17:42 PM »
it probably means your egr valve is starting to play up , have a look at your air filter if its oily then get the egr valve off and cleaned before it fails, you can get a spray cleaner for them now from the factors, you will also notice occasional hesitation when speeding up

gm1mqe

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 04:45:54 PM »
Just received my test unit. On forum I do not want to go into details of the software but if anyone wants the story they can email me at gm1mqe@aol.com.

Unit comes in two forms - USB attach and bluetooth. I went for the bluetooth as I have had problems using the USB interface for devices. The chip set that is used is VERY sensitive to the software drivers levels. The bluetooth one works fine after a bit of a problem with pairing the device.

Works just fine. The software supplied is one of the best going. It works fine on the Landy (Defender 2007) also on a Ford Fiesta and Focus and I will try on a Landy TD5 as I think it has the OBD port.

Well worth the ?30 I paid and also good email support for setting it up.

BTW It was the stuck EGR valve and it is fine now.

Andy Norrie

tgreer

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »
I have the bluetooth unit 25 quid off ebay.

Software you can get anywhere, there's apps for android, iphone, programs for windows/mac/linux

If anyone wants details drop me a PM.

This is standard OBD2 dongles and software (nanocom is just OBD2 compliant)
1975 Series 3 Land Rover - ex-MOD 109" Hard Top
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

coolcamper55

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 07:06:57 PM »
Thomas.
Perhaps we can have a wee chat over this on Sunday in between you breaking Ruari's 110 :D :D

tgreer

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 09:42:12 PM »
Tommy,

Certainly... I'll bring my kit along and do a demonstration :)

Thomas
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 02:32:10 PM »
HEY! No  demo's of breaking my landy.
Parts arrived so should be good to go ;D
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

gm1mqe

Re: Engine Warning Light coming on - Potential Problem
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 06:42:04 PM »
Just a warning. I tried the software on my netbook as that is the laptop that is usually in the Landy and have found that collecting live data is a problem. It is fine with my big laptop  (dual core @ 2.6) while the netbook (single core @ 1.6) has a problem. I am sure this is a speed problem with the netbook as when I collected data via a diagnostic program it is dropping some of the data. The netbook was fine at looking at a value and doing things like resetting the engine warning light but not with live data. Just be aware.

Connected the OBD tool to the notebook as well as a fast laptop and monitered the data coming in and it is fine coming over to the fast laptop and bad on the netbook. Some of the data packets are corrupted or truncated. The serial speed it 38.4k so I tried the netbook set to that and fired data to it from a fast machine and it is a problem with the netbook. It is also much worse when using the netbook in battery mode as the processor is only running at just over half the speed it does when on mains.

Cheers, Andy
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 07:31:03 PM by gm1mqe »

tgreer

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 08:20:46 PM »
It depends on the software and the data rate of the Bluetooth of the computer... I'll demo my kit on Sunday
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

gm1mqe

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 05:34:29 PM »
Tried the unit on an old (early TD5) 90 and it did not work.

Andy

piper5

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 08:30:05 PM »
td5's are not fully eobd2 compliant as they were on the market before compliance was mandatory which i think was around 2001/2, petrols were slightly earlier

tgreer

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 10:38:43 PM »
td5's are not fully eobd2 compliant as they were on the market before compliance was mandatory which i think was around 2001/2, petrols were slightly earlier

Sorry yes I should have said only since 01/02 have the td5s been compliant with OBD2, however most will still work
3.0L V6 Ford Essex