So has the cold weather tried to kill your landy yet?

· 35 · 6341

Scott110

So has the cold weather tried to kill your landy yet?
« on: December 08, 2010, 02:31:24 PM »
Seems to be the first sharp frosts of the winter take myne out.
Clutch slave and master cylinder both blew first on myne.
Ice then readjusted my rear drum on oneside knocking the brakes out.
Few pop rivets have snapped out when the bodyworks frozen and hit bumps.
Drivers door handle frozen solid lock wont work either now.
Managed to put a 2ft scratch along my piantwork when getting ice of the back window with a plastic scrapper.
Broke my passenger wingmirror off unfolding it.
Heater dont work.
Gona charge the battery now nearly never started today was a little low mind you.
Great fun this snow cant work so go wondering the backroads.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

tio

Re: So has the cold weather tried to kill your landy yet?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 03:41:30 PM »
Lucky white heather lol winter does take its toll,,, i think you've been a wee bit unfortunate,, make sure you grease your uj's or they'll be next,,

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 03:45:32 PM »
New battery for me.
Passenger door lock frozen - neighbour not to impressed having to climb over gear sticks :D
Drivers door leaves a bigger gap when shut ???

Work colleague phoned me as they got stuck when they pulled into a layby to answer phone. By the time I had passed them gone round roundabout they ad managed to get out. However, she needs 2 new tyres
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

Black Sheep

• "should have bought a 90"
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 05:32:26 PM »
I've went from being the smug git in the street to having to get a lift as both 4x4 are grounded. One needs a new starter motor and is currently in garage awaiting parts. I decided yesterday to get the jeep on the road after sitting for over 2 months on sorn. It got through it's mot last night (cheers Dougie  :) ). Took it for a drive to charge the battery and came home with smug grin back on face giving neighbour thumbs up as I parked up. Looks like I never took it for a long enough drive as battery was flat this morning after sitting out in the cold, ho hum lol

Oh I've also pulled the door handle off thinking the door was frozen shut and then realised it was still locked!  :-[
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 05:34:57 PM by Black Sheep »

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 06:29:34 PM »
Oh I've also pulled the door handle off thinking the door was frozen shut and then realised it was still locked!  :-[

What on brand of Porridge are you eating !!
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

jas23

• Name: John Sinclair
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 07:07:41 PM »
Tried hard but pair of tights got me going 2 days in a row (v belt snapped then new belt snapped) Lucky with door handles as was ready and had a flask of hot water at shops with me. the joys

hxk494

• Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 07:16:15 PM »
just the starter/solenoid playing up - hence the earlier pm!

So far it is only on the really cold mornings and a flask of boiling water poured over it seems to bring it back to life.

Martin.

kevin18050

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 07:21:09 PM »
some nice person smashed my side sliding window with a snowball on my 90 and the disco1's rear doors are opening but not locking shut just bouncing back open i think the cables inside the door are frozen as a warm up will sort it till the next time but hey they both start ok lol

coolcamper55

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 07:24:14 PM »
some nice person smashed my side sliding window with a snowball on my 90 and the disco1's rear doors are opening but not locking shut just bouncing back open i think the cables inside the door are frozen as a warm up will sort it till the next time but hey they both start ok lol

Ref the rear door, I get this on my 110 and its usually because the childproof lock has jumped, I turn it off and the door locks. Try it

T

Big Slippy

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 09:03:16 PM »

-16 this morning, got 2 miles before the diesel waxed up in the filter of my 300tdi 90. One new filter and 5lt of fuel additive later and we're back in the game.

Word of warning though, only 5lt of additive available @ ?60.!!!  Good job it'll last ages.
2005 Alive Defender 110 Double Cab
2015 Range Rover Sport

DRH

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 10:10:22 PM »
My Additive was a bit cheaper at ?1.21 a litre  Morrisons finest 97 Octane (not quite text book, but it works ok in a 200 tdi)  Wouldn't dream of doing adding it to my td5  This weather also sorts the batteries out

Duncan

jay2578

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 10:49:53 PM »

-16 this morning, got 2 miles before the diesel waxed up in the filter of my 300tdi 90. One new filter and 5lt of fuel additive later and we're back in the game.

Word of warning though, only 5lt of additive available @ ?60.!!!  Good job it'll last ages.

A litre of petrol in a tank of diesel will stop the waxing.... not for the TD5 though... no, no, no, no, no!

Truckster

• Really must fit A/T's..........
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 07:25:55 PM »
Well, im probably tempting fate here....Goddess not been started for bout week n half....had pretty hard frosts down here-double figures but not -16...heated once and she roared into life bless her!! ;D ;D   Blue oval...doesnt do cold...started, but under protest!!! ::)

I'll have some of that porridge Black Sheep's eating!! :D Might help when it comes to building the cottage!!!

Mel ( & canine navigators )
109 Station Wagon-'The Goddess'- Sick Chassis...gutted!!
109 Station Wagon-'Firefly'-in need of tlc!!!
109 Ex-mil Rolling Chassis
Mk5 Blue Oval ( Goddess in training!!)

sthrifty

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 07:57:24 PM »
Building lol thought you be almost finished :) :) :)
1995 300 tdi csw 110
series 3 109 2.25p
ex mil 1986 90 s/t 2.5na
88on galv chassis needs rebuild and more
Disco m reg 2l mpi
[/

Scott110

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 12:36:53 PM »
 ;D#
Loved the snapping door handle off i kin imagine the fruity language after that.
Atleast its thawing now so just gota deal with the interior flood thats happening as we speak. Needs a clean inside anyways.
The old girl done well lalty few niggles but kept running so was down at machinmart this morning buying tools gona try ge her a wee checkover at the wkend. Wheel bearings especially some of those backroads around temple area are very badly broken up now.

best failure ive heard off was a guy with a 110 managed to fill his steering guard full of snow it froze and jammed the steering..nice effort.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.