HELP Required by NHS in Fife - Urgent

· 25 · 6265

PamN

• Name: Pam Norrie
HELP Required by NHS in Fife - Urgent
« on: December 02, 2010, 01:54:41 PM »

No further volunteers required unless the weather takes a turn for the worse again.  Many thanks to those who replied to this request.
See message below from NHS

We have been approached by the NHS in Fife, who need help ferrying essential staff to locations around the Fife area - either now or in the next few days, while the snow is causing chaos.    

If anyone can help with this, please contact Ian Orr at email address ian.orr@nhs.net.

I also have a mobile number if you are able to help right away.

Pamela
 Thank you. 01294 822634

Note that if you are intending to assist in this way, it is recommended that you inform your insurance company.  They shouldn't charge extra, but it could save you a problem if you should be unlucky enough to have an accident.
Message received 15 Dec from NHS File ........

"On behalf of the Chief Executive and Strategic Management Team, I would like to thank you and your club members for all their help during the past two weeks of prolonged disruptive weather.

On a personal level, I would like to add my own sincerest thanks to everyone who, as stated below, did indeed go above and beyond what we could have hoped or asked for.

Below are some of the comments I received during today's "Lessons Learned" session from our staff in relation to those who kindly volunteered to help us out.

"4x4 vehicles allowed access to difficult addresses for discharges and renal activity, great skill by the drivers"

"4x4s allowed us to run essential services, brilliant"

"The volunteer Land Rover drivers were fantastic, couldn't have done as well as we did without them"

"4x4 drivers were lovely guys, friendly, helpful and never complained"

"Land Rovers provided an excellent back up"

"Great mobilisation of volunteer 4x4 capacity in Fife, special people"

"Volunteer 4x4 drivers responded over and above the call"

Kindest regards,
Ian Orr
Business Continuity Manager
NHS Fife"
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 03:12:49 PM by PamN »
Growing old disgracefully!

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
Re: HELP Required by NHS in Fife - Urgent
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 02:35:58 PM »
Happy to help with this sort of thing but I'm in Lanarkshire, so just keep my details to hand in case Lanarkshire NHS senior management do finally realise the problems their troops on the ground are having to cope with.
Navigator          GM1VBE

PamN

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 02:41:27 PM »
Thanks Stuart.  If you fancy a trip to Fife at the weekend .....

coolcamper55

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 02:46:35 PM »
Pam,

Suggest you contact Colin Roger, aka Alarmguard,aka Lothian 4 x 4 response

Tommy

PamN

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 03:18:44 PM »
Thanks Tommy

bairnr

• Name: David Russell
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 03:33:45 PM »
Hi there, we couldn't really help out in Fife.  However Falkirk Council have just sent out an e-mail something similar for Social Work help.

[REMOVED POST - Contacted Falkirk Council last night regarding this - they are only looking for Council Employees - as someone else stated it's an Insurance thing, although it may be due to paying out mileage too:o]

My Sister in Law is Homecare at California, but is havign to work locally as she cannot get to her own clients.  These old ones rely on the usual routines and faces to keep them going.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 12:18:20 PM by bairnr »
2000 discovery td5
1989 LR Defender 90

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 03:39:40 PM »
Thanks Stuart.  If you fancy a trip to Fife at the weekend .....

D&G asked for weekend first - sorry.
Navigator          GM1VBE

PamN

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 05:33:37 PM »
Happy to help with this sort of thing but I'm in Lanarkshire, so just keep my details to hand in case Lanarkshire NHS senior management do finally realise the problems their troops on the ground are having to cope with.
From Fife contact - "It appears that Lanarkshire are coping but please pass on my sincerest thanks to your member from Lanarkshire."

Alarmgard

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 09:26:09 PM »

Hi all,

Not been around at all since the snow came, Lothian 4x4 Response have been very busy in the snow, the team comprises currently 26 members as I write this seven of them are out working to maintain essential medical services and the day shift are all home.

They have been working in shifts every day covering various tasks:

Helping with home care visits, meals on wheels, patient transport/transfers, transporting NHS key workers, helping community nurses, moving Medical supplies, helping council key workers etc.

At present we have requests for assistance up until late Monday afternoon and are working in Edinburgh, West Lothian, Mid Lothian, East Lothian, Edinburgh and Falkirk council areas, we also cover Stirling and Clackmananshire.

We have been asked to assist in Fife and indeed some of our members did go across to help earlier in the week. But due to local demand this hasn't been able to continue, I am aware that Fife Raynet amongst others have been doing sterling work in  supporting essential services.

We as a team have offered to the Council Emergency Planning Officer that if an urgent need arises then if they call us we will try and assist.

This is one of the rare circumstances when 4x4 owners can actually put something back without being criticised for owning a 4x4 and I would urge anyone with one to consider joining a 4x4 Response group.

As for the Galloway Hills Rally I wish them a successful and safe rally, up until a few hours ago, Hugh Steele and myself were running as closing car but current circumstances have made remake my plans and I will be out with Lothian 4x4 Response all weekend.

If anyone can help Fife NHS give them a call they do like others really need your help.

If you want to know more about Lothian 4x4 Response then call me when things get better or we have a simple website up and running www.lothian4x4response.org As a team we cannot provide support when required without the hard work that our volunteers and as the current Team Leader I am grateful for their support.

Regards, Colin.

Colin Rodger
Chairperson/Team Leader
Lothian 4x4 Response
Mobile: 07767-726075

A Scottish Registered Charity No: SC041830
Colin Rodger

Marshals needed for CompSafari's give me a call if you can help.
Email:colin.rodger@virgin.net or mobile: 07767726075

dantheman

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 10:08:20 PM »
its all well and good, but do they cover your fuel costs?
land rover daft!!!or just plain daft!!!!!

piper5

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 10:12:10 PM »
we have been out till late everynight with fife raynet along with several other  4x4 owners transporting nurses. homcarers and visiting community alarms, even rescued and ambulance on a shout and a response car which luckily wasn't on a shout, word from the paramedics was they were very angry that they were being sent out in 2 wheel drive ambulances when the hospital and nhs 24 had a fleet of 4 wheel drives that they refused to send out, if you called nhs24 they are sending ambulances instead. the nhs fleet of xtrails are sitting in the hospital car park frozen aparently.

piper5

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 10:17:45 PM »
its all well and good, but do they cover your fuel costs?

not sure what we are getting but we are told they are paying mileage, however its not about the money when you visit an old person who hasn't seen anyone for days and give them the first hot meal in 3 days and they are crying happy it makes it all worthwhile,
last night we visited 2 that hadn't had food for 24 hours, monday we visited a man on a remote farm all alone who could not get to bed or feed himself,

think if that was you gran/mum etc

sardass

• Mountain Rescue Search Dogs
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 03:41:52 AM »
Hi i live in Dalgety Bay i will be available on Friday night to help out if you still need me then send me a pm if you do not need me i will be out with Piper 5.

Have sent Ian a email
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 04:01:17 AM by sardass »
Paul Martin
www.sarda.org.uk
Disco 300TDI

PamN

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 08:37:09 AM »
Paul - thanks for that.

Can anyone with offers pls contact Ian direct.  If your offer is for same day, I can give you a mobile number.  (Already sent to you Paul)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:43:26 AM by PamN »

david

• Name: David Russell
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 10:00:47 AM »
to help out it should not be about money it should be to make sure that the old and infirm do have a meal and some one  else from the out side world just to speak to I no its hard times for everyone but how would any one feel if it was there mum dad gran or grandad that is sitting with out a meal all day or days its all so to check that there is heating in there homes