Loose Steering Drop Arm

· 3 · 1747

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Loose Steering Drop Arm
« on: October 21, 2011, 11:50:01 AM »
Three times in the last year I've had the nut on my steering drop arm tightened, three times the drop arm has worked loose....... Billy at Lix Toll diagnosed the problem on Weds while doing they were my MOT - Wrong Drop Arm. Evidently my vehicle had the drop arm for a 6 bolt steering box as opposed to its 4 bolt one - they look identical to the casual view but the splines are different.

...and came into work today to read an Army report on a WOLF that had the drop arm come off altogether due to the lock-tab being done up incorrectly. Another batch of MOD vehicles were found to have incorrect lock-tabs fitted - not wide enough to actually do the job properly.

Sloppy steering ? Try checking the tighness of the drop-arm. There should be no vertical movement.   
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

diesel jock

Re: Loose Steering Drop Arm
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 01:31:51 PM »
Had exactly the same prob with my 90 fitted new box and arm torqued nut to correct setting 3 weeks later sloppy steering,re tightened then slack again last week.will have to speak to paddocks about the arm as you suggest possibly the wrong one.
Cheers
Stewart

chuckyboy

Re: Loose Steering Drop Arm
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 06:00:50 PM »
SNAP, I fitted a replacement box from Paddocks and had the same problem.

Still had my old box so swapped the arms over (should be the right arm for that type of box) and the same thing happened again after about 3 months. Last time I put a small tack of weld on each lug of the washer and all has been fine now for a year or so. Never could really understand why the problem occured.
Defender 90 300 Tdi