Headlight panel - installed upside-down.

· 4 · 1525

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Headlight panel - installed upside-down.
« on: July 30, 2010, 11:39:10 PM »
First problem - other than how long its taking - with the 90 rebuild.

Having replaced the rebuilt wings and started putting the lights back in I find that the panel that the headlight unit screws to has been installed upside-down by the bodyshop. This means that the holes for the headlight adjusters are in the wrong place, as are the holes for the screws. The final annoyance is that the cutout for the light itself is not central in the panel, so its now sitting 10mm too high. Put the plastic finisher on top and its obvious. Big gap at the bottom, plastic just starting to cover the glass at the top.  (Insert expletive of your choice here.)

My first thought is to ask the bodyshop to fix it - but as they've already taken an age, frankly I can't face the delay.

Second thought is to cut out the actual mounting area from the original damaged panel, flatten it and bolt it over the cutout in the new panel, lopping chunks off the "new" where they interfere ? End result will be the light sitting 1 panels depth forward of where it should be. Anyone see any problems or have a better idea ? - The new panel has been glued into place and the whole wing resprayed, so I'm not keen on major surgery.   
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

coolcamper55

Re: Headlight panel - installed upside-down.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 10:06:52 PM »
Gene, What would happen if you got one of those "facelift" kits from the guys like SRX, it might sit over and hide the problem and mean you only have to make minor adjustments.

Just a thought :)

T

weetoddy

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 10:26:55 PM »
Hi mate could you not just take the 10mm off the bottom and redrill the holes in the correct position it will leave an oval hole but once the trim is on you wont see it .

cheers Iain
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and leaky engine

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 10:44:17 PM »
Iain, thanks, that might work. I'll have a bit of a measure tomorrow....
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....