Steering Guard Bolt

· 7 · 1796

mudTerrain

Steering Guard Bolt
« on: July 24, 2011, 03:56:42 PM »
Hello,

When I removed the bent steering guard from my defender 110, the bolt that goes through the brace that attaches to the panhard rod wouldn't shift, so I just cut the steering guard off, as I was trying to fit a new steering damper at the time and wanted to just get the job done...

Now I want to fit a new steering guard, so this bolt really needs to come out - the question is, if I remove it, will the panhard-rod mount move or anything?  The bolt is absolutely stuck, so I'm going to have to hammer it out by the looks of things - does this sound reasonable/sensible?

Here are some pictures (please ignore all the chassis rust for the time being ::)):

Any advice would be very welcome :)

Thanks,

Paul

coolcamper55

Re: Steering Guard Bolt
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 06:33:36 AM »
Try a nut splitter on the nut at the back then drift it out with a length of 10mm rod

Good luck :)

mudTerrain

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:32:20 AM »
Thanks for that - I've managed to get the nut off (with a serious amount of heating), but the bolt is still stuck fast - it won't even turn!

If I do drift it out, the panhard rod bracket isn't going to just collapse, is it?  It sort of looks like it would pivot on the top bolt...

Thanks for your help,

Paul

coolcamper55

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 11:27:31 AM »
If the drift you put in is the right size it should pick it up but maybe a G clamp to help it stop moving.

T

mudTerrain

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 12:19:49 PM »
Good idea - would jacking the front wheels off the ground be a good idea, too?

aqms987

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 10:26:05 PM »
Try heating the tube the bolt runs through, then attempt to turn the bolt. repeat the process ie heat, turn, & so on. Do not apply to much effort on the bolt initially in case it shears off the head, If all else fails & it does shear then drill the bolt to just under its nominal size and drift out the remains with a suitable size of punch, hopefully by then the bolt shell will collapse.
 Good luck
 Allan

mudTerrain

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 10:41:50 PM »
Thanks for that - I had a go at heating it before, but with no luck - that made me wonder if the bolt is under tension and is supporting the panhard rod bracket...

Drilling out a bolt this long would be a pain in the @rse, so hopefully it'll move with a bit of persuasion...

Thanks,

Paul