Broken truck...

· 37 · 11236

Truckster

• Really must fit A/T's..........
Broken truck...
« on: April 06, 2010, 06:47:12 PM »
My poor old Goddess got shunted rather violently today by a flippin b*****d delivery van >:( >:(. Im going along minding my own business [with my 5 dogs] when he decides to overtake, realising he couldnt due to oncoming traffic,tries to pull back in but ends up taking me out >:( >:(. Catapults me onto the pavement, how i missed the wall i'll never know, and when i finally brought my out of control truck to a halt, i was in the middle of the road. Thank god no-one was on the pavement, and i didnt hit other traffic.

Not only did he take me out, but the poor lady coming the other way,also with 2 dogs in her car, had nowhere to go but into his front bumper.

Assessors will pick up my old lady tomorrow and im praying shes not written off. Visually, broken tail light,fog light, bent the rear crossmember,so my spare wheelcarrier is skew-wiff-[theres a lot to be said for a spare wheel on the back door. Saved my dogs from possible injury]. Dont know if theres damage to fuel filler pipe or the front axle yet. I hit the pavement with a hefty wallop. Will find that out tomorrow hopefully.

Up to now, the insurance company have been very helpfull, but if its a like-for like vehicle i get as a hire....will i get a nice shiny 110 hard top dropped on my drive....highly unlikely, more like a VAN!!!!!!!!
Anyway im keeping my fingers crossed my broken truck isnt to broken to repair :'( :'(
Mel ( & canine navigators )
109 Station Wagon-'The Goddess'- Sick Chassis...gutted!!
109 Station Wagon-'Firefly'-in need of tlc!!!
109 Ex-mil Rolling Chassis
Mk5 Blue Oval ( Goddess in training!!)

sthrifty

Re: Broken truck...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 07:46:20 PM »
Mel you are having no luck.good to know you and the dogs were not injured.hopefully goddess (a legend already) is not to badly damaged you need her for our may trip.
Re replacement vehicle tell your insurance co you need a large 4x4 to access the areas where you can walk the dogs in safety,press them thats how i got the damaged d3(from thrifty).

Good Luck John
1995 300 tdi csw 110
series 3 109 2.25p
ex mil 1986 90 s/t 2.5na
88on galv chassis needs rebuild and more
Disco m reg 2l mpi
[/

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 09:04:50 PM »
Really glad to hear you and the dogs are safe. Shame about your series though. Hopefully it will get fixed.
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

Truckster

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 09:14:53 PM »
 Thanks for that info John. I need her full stop!! Shes my daily drive-my only drive!! I'll be pressing the insurance tomorrow as shes grounded until the autocentre collect her-probably tomorrow, and theyve told me they cant supply me with a car as its a like for like.
As i said before, ive everything crossed that they take pity on me and DONT write her off. I will be most upset if they do.

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 09:23:30 PM »
Really sorry to hear that. The problem might be that bent cross-member when it comes to the Insurance. They will have to work on repairing it with LR parts at bodyshop prices, that could easily take it into write-off given its age - Any Panel damage - easily ?300 per panel  :( :(
Neighbours had their Disco written off by a fairly simple slide on ice. Smacking a fence-post opened up the body seams on the rear quarter and the front valance was torn off when it came to rest in the verge.
I knew my 90 was write off as soon as it came to rest - both wings, both doors, roof, windscreen and one corner of the rear tub, axle has hit the front of the sump, O/S suspension turret has gone through the plastic bit on the top of the inner wing.... but given that it has a new galv chassis from last summer I'm having a go at a rebuild, using a mix of new and second hand panels.

If they do write her off it might be worth asking what they want for the salvage and taking a lower settlement - on the other hand maybe a 110 ? :-\

As far as a replacement goes mine was only for two weeks....and the offer was a Corsa.  :( :( :( I suggested that as my Insurers are NFU they should at least offer a 4x4 option but they said that surveys had shown that customers were unwilling to pay the extra premium.  A gap in the market ?

Anyway, the main thing is that no-one got hurt. I hope the cops throw the book at the bozo in the van - Damaging a valuable antique !
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

yellodisco

• Name: Alan Griffith
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »
Hi Mel, sorry to hear your bad news tonight - thankfully you and the dogs have come out unharmed. Do hope the Goddess is repairable and that the insurance co. do the right thing for you.
Best wishes, Alan

jumbo

• drive through car wash landrover style
    • photo bucket
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 11:36:19 PM »
thankfully these things are built like tanks, glad there was no injuries. hate to think what that idiot could have done to a normal car....dont think they would get off as lightly. aye hope that guy has done his last delivery for a while.
fingers crossed you get a good setlement with insurance. worst case hope they at least let you repair it, they often like to write them off, beyond economic repair, yet doesnt sound like its beyond salvage. good luck
doug
2005 3door freelander td4
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

warning::: any jokes posted by myself come with a health warning!!!!!

Alarmgard

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 11:43:54 PM »
If you get any grief off the insurance company over a like for like replacement vehicle, tell them as the other guy was at fault you may as well use a third party company to provide the like for like replacement, for example Help Hire. http://www.helphire.co.uk/helphire/

They will provide a replacement vehicle and the cost will get billed to the other parties insurer, now its in your insurance companies control the cost of the claim, so you will find that they will then provide you with a similiar vehicle to what you had.

You should also go and get a check up from your Doctor, just to be sure.

Colin Rodger

Marshals needed for CompSafari's give me a call if you can help.
Email:colin.rodger@virgin.net or mobile: 07767726075

geoffg

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 06:58:55 AM »
There was an article in one of the mags recently, LRM I think, regarding writing off vehicles. The guy said that if your vehicle is damaged by someone else, then you are entitled to have it restored to it's original condition or replaced by the same, not written off, which is the easy way out for the insurers.
Geoff

sandman77

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 07:36:40 AM »
Sorry to hear about the accident but glad you and your dogs are fine mel.
Looking forward to seeing you at the driving day in a nice shiny 110 courtesy of the insurance company.

cedric_r

• Yorkie
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 07:43:16 AM »
Sorry to hear than Mel. Yes I heard the same Geoff said, but you might have to fight for it because the insurance company won't like it.
Cedric

Truckster

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 05:14:07 PM »
Hi folks. Thanks to all for your kind and helpfull comments. I'm hopefully getting a like for like through DAS and im getting a 110 stationwagon on friday. Slightly,in fact a LOT newer than mine[!!] and its coming up from down south. They have been very helpfull, and it'll all be going on the 3rd parties insurance as the van driver was without question at fault.[have a witness as well]
Ive been checked out and ive got whiplash and damaged ligaments on my wrists-comes from trying to stop a hefty lump of british steel from hitting a dry stone wall at 45mph plus impact speed!!!! 4-6wk recovery for both!! Dogs are ok today, but Danny,who was in the back has been off colour today, but hes ok.
As for the Goddess, shes just been carted away on a low-loader :'(. I'm hopefull she'll be repaired and the chap i spoke to yesterday at the autocentre said they prefer to repair them if poss as they make money from it!! Truck driver reckons it'll be repaired as well and where she's going seems to have a good reputation. Will find out tomorrow. I'm purposly being positive about it and she WILL return.....ive bought the S3 SW that was for sale on here, so she WILL be back......Thanks again folks :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 08:27:27 PM by Truckster »

Radarears

• photo bucket
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 06:39:25 PM »
Hi Mel,

Really sorry to read about your accident and like everybody else glad you and the dogs were ok with no injuries.

Hope you get her repaired and as I have found out over my minor accident recently it is sometimes best to nicely argue the case for repair etc.

I have been told that as I wished the Disco will go to Stratstone for repair and like you am awaiting a replacement Discovery from somewhere.

It was also pointed out to me not to be caught out with the "do you want to pay the have the excess removed on the hire Discovery" as the excess is only the excess on your present policy. His insurance company told me this.
The driver that hit me was with Aviva and I can only say once the wheels were in motion they moved fast and smoothly.
Hope it works out well.
Christopher
Discovery td5 "Monte"

And the registered keeper of a Range Rover 4.0 se

jumbo

• drive through car wash landrover style
    • photo bucket
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 10:26:32 PM »
hey hope your not planning to hand back a perfectly good 110 without giving it a proper (off)road test. that would be very inconsiderate of you ;) and conveniently theres a perfect chance to try it out on sunday ;) just ask john what courtesy landrovers are for ;D ;D its rude not to try them out
doug
2005 3door freelander td4
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

warning::: any jokes posted by myself come with a health warning!!!!!

Truckster

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 08:01:17 PM »
Well, ive got my like for like....a split new 110 SW with 128 miles on the clock!!!! :o :o ;D
This is the 2nd attempt to get wheels sorted. A 110 hardtop arrived with lots of dents & scrapes on it but to be honest it was fine as i could easily have chucked the dogs in the back and not worried about it, but when it left a large puddle of oil on the drive, it got whisked off!!
After a few phone calls and me reiterating that ive not had transport for the last 2 days i eventually got the phone call saying a 110 SW is on its way...!! Nearly chocked on my coffee when it arrived-ive never driven a split new motor before!!

As for the Goddess....well its borderline on wether she'll get repaired or written off. The LABOUR CHARGES is out-weighing the parts total by 3 times!!!! Have spoken to the NFU, and should know more on Monday, but it seems outragous that a car can be written off as the labour fees are 3 times as high as the parts.

Anyway, been a stressfull day so time to chill out and dream about TD5's!!!

See you sunday 8)