Tyre restrictions?

· 5 · 1558

GAZ_XB9R

• Name: Gary Pratt
Tyre restrictions?
« on: October 28, 2014, 04:28:04 PM »
Hi,

I came across a comment on another forum saying the MSA was banning certain types of tyres.

I intend joining in on the RTV, TYRO and Punch Hunt's next year once my Lightweight is sorted out.

The tyres she is sat on at the moment won't make it through an MOT so I was going to get a set of tyres and tubeless rims. See below.

http://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/shop/product-info.php?prodname=7.50R16-112Q-Malatesta-Kaiman-Tyres-&id=16457

Can anyone advise where to find the info regarding tyre restrictions?

Cheers,

Gaz

Ian A

Re: Tyre restrictions?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 05:49:35 PM »
Hi Gaz

Sorry I don't know where you'll find the tyre restrictions........ :(

But I'm sure someone will be along quite soon and point you in the right direction

All I can say is if they ban the type of tyre your looking at then a large number of members, that are competing in RTV and CCV trials, will all have to buy a new set of tyres

This tread pattern is very popular in the club and I believe work quite well?

I'll be interested in following this thread as I was going to get something similar when finances allow, will have to stick with the diamonds for now  :'(

Ian

GAZ_XB9R

• Name: Gary Pratt
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 10:10:11 PM »
Ian,

There may be nothing to worry about as the post was from 2009.

I'm new to Landies and off roading so wanted to check things out a bit first.

Just getting my "Old girl" fixed up / patched up / sealed up (lol) and she needs re-shod before the next MOT anyway as the tyres are perished.

From what I have read this pattern seems to be about as good as it gets without going heavily modified.

I've asked elsewhere too, so if I get anything definative I'll post back on here to close things out.

Gaz

Ian A

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 09:50:40 AM »
Hi Gaz

Found the website for MSA Year Book, link below

https://www.msauk.org/News-Publications/Publications/MSA-Yearbooks

Scroll down to section 2 The Regulations then find "192 - 202 Common Regulations for Permitted Tyres" link

This should take you to the information your looking for, saying that it's the 2014 year book and things might change for 2015

Plus I'm not sure what the club committe say on tyre regulations, may be someone will comment on their behalf????

Cheers

Ian

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 12:10:51 PM »
I've heard no rumblings about the MSA bringing in tyre restrictions for Cross Country Trials, Orienteering, etc.

I have heard club members muttering about how the people who drive tricked-up vehicles, with super-aggressive tyres, are stopping them from doing will in RTVs & Tyros (not 100% sure how someone else's vehicle-choice can stop you driving well) and we should ban aggressive tyres in RTVs (which leads to all sorts of "interesting" problems & knock-on effects that the grumblers never want to actually address).

My recommendation for anyone coming to join RTVs (or Tyros) and want to buy new tyres is to buy something like a BF Goodrich Mud Terrain or an Insa Turbo Sahara [mud terrain]. - they have good road-manners as well as being very good off-road tyres.

Once you've worked out what you actually want to do, you can consider more/less aggressive tyres for the future.