Insurance

· 21 · 12057

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
Insurance
« on: November 29, 2011, 07:01:42 PM »
Any advice on insurance companies I'm a 22 year old apprentice, 3years no claims on a private policy on a other car i'm selling. My truck is a 90 hardtop TD5 and is the worst thing to get insurance for. i'm with adrian flux atm (land rover policy) and found out today i can't carry my private policy NCB's over to a commercial policy for renewal in december?  I hate insurance companies
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

georgew

Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 07:39:16 PM »
Do you mean they want to treat the 90 as being a 'van/commercial' and not as a car, even though you are just commuting to work, but not delivering type thing.,
 or
that you actually want Insurance for the 90 for Work/Business?
Going to be carrying tools etc! ??

try.
2 gether, Footman James, Sureterm Direct or Lancaster just any Land Rover type company..
Things are getting more difficult for under 24's sadly.

If it is work related insurance cover you need, best find a Broker that can find you Business cover.

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:44:41 PM »
Try NFU as well. I have business use built into all our vehicles for very little extra premium. Not sure how they are with young drivers. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

vag_landy

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:55:48 PM »
Trying NFU , but my age has caused problems last year when i got insurance, i'm using it for social domestic and pleasure. I foundout its cheaper if i had a station wagon just a shame i could never afford one .
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

georgew

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 08:06:34 PM »
Was that Comparison sites that showed as being cheaper or actual quotes.

If it is not for commercial use & only a 2 seater you will just have to see who will cover for the 90 for only
sd&p.

You said you have a Landy Policy with Adrian Flux, have they changed their rules or something,
is this cover you have as a second vehicle & you want it as a main vehicle, or what do you mean.
(have you just been a named driver up to now?)
Try
www.premiumchoice.co.uk
I dont think they are taking young drivers for 4x4 cover now, but worth checking.
george
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:08:05 PM by georgew »
www.recce-gear.co.uk

vag_landy

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 08:22:21 PM »
It was cheaper by accident from admirals foreign call centre when i tried to stay with them for car and landy, they had it classed as estate, i informed them of mistake and got a crazy quote , phoned about and got adrian flux who have gave me a commercial policy even though i'm not a business user . I have golf which has 3 years no claims but selling (was main vehicle now selling)
I have the 90 hardtop( which was my second car) due for renewal next week so when i have sold golf i want to transfer NCB's across to land rover and make that my only vehicle . And adding toys just makes them mad so far sureterm is ?1040 compared to ?1600 i have been paying :(
i'm the only driver on vehicles
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:28:36 PM by vag_landy »
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

georgew

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 08:30:42 PM »
I think its worth getting a 'named Driver' on your policy.

Someone with, Low risk job, experienced driver, with their own insurance policy & vehicle.
Parent, Relation or good friend type thing.
If there addition does not reduce the cost, then do not add them to the proposal.

Good that you have your mods declared or the policy is not worth the paper its printed on,
i am surprised though that they gave you cover.

Always down to you to check the Policy & Schedual is correct.

Good luck with it.
george
www.recce-gear.co.uk

Graeme

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 08:39:45 PM »
i would go against your advice george   the insurance companys are on to that one 
when i started to drive ?1 could buy 6 gallons of petrol full comprehensive ins for a 1500 corsair was ?100   so insurance would be ?3600 on equivelent petrol prices 

georgew

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 08:48:20 PM »
I did not suggest 'Fronting'/ being a named driver on someone elses policy.

I suggested that he finds a true person that may need to drive his vehicle sometime to be a Named Driver on his policy.

What about that are Insurance Companies onto?

How old are you?
I am 52 & my FC insurance for a Mk2 cortina was only ?75 in 1977
Apprentice wage was ?18 though.

george
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:53:14 PM by georgew »
www.recce-gear.co.uk

Graeme

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 09:00:35 PM »
named driver would be concidered the main driver      is it not
this getting a named driver to get a cheaper ins quote can cause problems if and when a claim arisses
what is the point in getting another persons name on the policy the ncb will be in the named drivers name of no use to the young driver
6years older than you george  i could have had cheaper ins and did for a while but went with a good company and was with them for 20 years

georgew

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 09:07:49 PM »
Main Driver is normally the Insurance Policy holder, Named Drivers are usually just that,
covered by the Policy .
With a young driver, that is sometimes a reduction of 30% on the price of the policy they have with a older named driver added, used to be cheaper when female/mother, but that has changed in the last couple of years.
*always be honest with insurance, it can cost you dear if not*

Petrol was 78 pence a gallon in 1977.
34 pence a gallon with the change to decimalisation in 1971.
It was 5 pence a shot for red when i worked on the pumps at 15 year old.

Coo-op & Eagal Star were good companies back in the 70's, my Dad was his own agent & my ex was a Broker, sadly my insurance did not stay cheap for long when i was young?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 09:12:52 PM by georgew »
www.recce-gear.co.uk

stage recovery

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 09:10:51 PM »
A named driver is just that, my youngest (20)son has a couple on his policy, made a big difference(he still pays far more than the car is worth)  Any named driver obviously has to have a good driving record to make a difference.
 PS in 1971 I worked in a petrol station,3 gallons for a pound, 1p change.During the power cuts cased by the miners strike I had to stick a handle in the pump and work it by hand.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 09:16:50 PM by stage recovery »

Graeme

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 09:18:01 PM »
3 shillings and 4 pennies in 1970         then with rationing in 1974 it jumped to 50pence a gallon    and been screwed by the goverment since

georgew

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 09:41:13 PM »
6 shilling 6d a gallon i think in 1970.

google says 80d a gallon,
240 pennies (or Twenty Shillings) to the ?1 as i remember.
We spent a year playing with plastic money and a till in primary 6/7.

george
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 09:44:14 PM by georgew »
www.recce-gear.co.uk

Maxxed_Ross

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 09:56:35 PM »
I've had my mum on every policy I've ever had, on my impreza it dropped the quote nearly ?100! I just need to remember to hide the keys

Im also with Adrian flux and totally hate them. Every time they make a mistake with my paperwork it costs more and more money. I'm on the third attempt and it's still not right. I give up!
"Lara" - 2001 Defender 110 Tomb Raider Edition