radio VHF/UHF HF/FM/AM HELP

· 80 · 15281

coolcamper55

Re: radio VHF/UHF HF/FM/AM HELP
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 08:35:35 PM »
thanks for all the info were can you do the exam?
i think i may just get a AM/FM CB thats the free ones right?

please note that AM CB is illegal in the UK it needs to be FM

rodspink

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 08:43:11 PM »
Jon.

Your fine to have a radio installed to just listen. If you are at all worried about having a set but no license take the Mic out so there is no way anyone can transmit.
And just to reiterate to any others reading the thread that the communications agency take illegal use of any radios that require a license and as discussed your equipment and the car its being used in will be taken off you and you will be handed a massive fine for your trouble. I know of a few stories where this has happened.

Good luck with getting you License peeps it will be a very handy tool with the responce group.

Regards

Rod GM0WRV

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 08:46:11 PM »
Thanks buddy. I'll be using the radio for charity events and marshalling too. Hoping to start getting to events this year as I have missed out on loads.
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

geoffg

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 04:50:01 PM »
Looking on ebay, I see there are lots of variations when it comes to transceivers. Would a dual band set be good for GRR's, 2m/70cm, or is a single band set better? Also looking ahead to next Winter when it may be of some use.
I'll still be using the CB on GRR's.
Geoff

hovis

• Life is like a mud pit you can't see what's coming
  • Name: Richard Brown
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 06:06:31 PM »
thanks for all the info were can you do the exam?
i think i may just get a AM/FM CB thats the free ones right?

please note that AM CB is illegal in the UK it needs to be FM

cheers i will bear this in mind
05 D3 TDV6
98 disco 300TDI
90 110 200tdi
89 90 2.5 turbo

piper5

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 09:42:58 PM »
Looking on ebay, I see there are lots of variations when it comes to transceivers. Would a dual band set be good for GRR's, 2m/70cm, or is a single band set better? Also looking ahead to next Winter when it may be of some use.
I'll still be using the CB on GRR's.
Geoff
hi geoff if you intend doing some 4x4 response stuff then dual band  2m 70cms is much more usefull ,during the winter we used crossband repeaters across in edinburgh to bounce signals along from west fife to glenrothes.
beware though you can get dual band and then true dual band radios, dual band will have one display and can run one frequency at a time, true dual band will display 2 frequencies at once and can listen on one and transmit on the other,
you can then go one further and buy something aprs compatible that links with a gps and can transmit location data and more. for that you are looking at a chunk more money,  if you want to see some kit let me know , we have a club in dunfermline.

coolcamper55

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 07:22:05 AM »
As stated you can spend a considerable sum depending on what you want to do, I am in the middle of sorting out some more kit to do APRS stuff which, if I had thought about earlier, I might have purchased different stuff to what I have.

You need to decide what you want to do with the radio and then I am sure there are enough Elmers ( Old and Wise Radio Hams) on here to help you get what you need

Tommy

geoffg

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 05:11:37 PM »
Just got a Yaesu ft8100r off ebay. It displays 2m and 70cm at the same time. Hope it's ok!! Also got a cheap hand held set to listen in while waiting to do my Foundation course.
Tommy, I thought an Elmer was a name for our American friends.
Geoff :)

tgreer

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 12:43:39 PM »
Geoffg, I have an 8100R, beautiful set, very good :)

Tommy, you selling any of your old kit?
1975 Series 3 Land Rover - ex-MOD 109" Hard Top
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

geoffg

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 01:10:17 PM »
Cheers for that, Thomas. All I need now is a licence.
I did consider buying the 8900r, but I guess that a four band set would need a four band aerial and they're not cheap. Anyway, it seems most people use 2m and 70cm.

coolcamper55

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 01:51:57 PM »
Geoffg, I have an 8100R, beautiful set, very good :)

Tommy, you selling any of your old kit?

Not just yet, might flog my old HF set and my HT but I need to get the HT replacement before I sell the existing one.

T

coolcamper55

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 01:54:47 PM »
Cheers for that, Thomas. All I need now is a licence.
I did consider buying the 8900r, but I guess that a four band set would need a four band aerial and they're not cheap. Anyway, it seems most people use 2m and 70cm.

Geoff, re getting a license, you might be able to squeeze in on the Strathclyde 4 x 4 respnse Foundation course, suggest you drop Navigator a PM, he is controling the numbers dates venue etc.

tgreer

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 02:03:16 PM »
Not just yet, might flog my old HF set and my HT but I need to get the HT replacement before I sell the existing one.

T

No worries was just incase u were punting a UHF/VHF set i'm looking to upgrade :P
1975 Series 3 Land Rover - ex-MOD 109" Hard Top
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

geoffg

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 02:10:59 PM »
Tommy, I've PM'd Stuart, so I'm sure he'll be able to sort me out with a course sometime. Meanwhile, I'll just be CB-ing on the next GRR.

piper5

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 05:12:30 PM »
geoff i think the stirling radio club have a foundation course due shortly , they are based in springkerse ind est near abro (mod)