radio VHF/UHF HF/FM/AM HELP

· 80 · 15282

hovis

• Life is like a mud pit you can't see what's coming
  • Name: Richard Brown
radio VHF/UHF HF/FM/AM HELP
« on: February 28, 2011, 11:53:56 PM »
i have asked before but i have a memory like a what they called again?

what frequencies does every one use? does it matter? i was going to get a portable radio and a couple of batterys but its VHF/UHF is that ok could i speak to any body say on a green lane run?
05 D3 TDV6
98 disco 300TDI
90 110 200tdi
89 90 2.5 turbo

coolcamper55

Re: radio VHF/UHF HF/FM/AM HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 07:03:47 AM »
with a VHF /UHF set the short answer is yes, it depends on another user being there to talk with.
On the last GRR there were about 5 of the 30+ vehicles with VHF sets, but about 10 with CB rigs.
On the GRR's most of us use CB radios as they are readily available, you dont need a license to operate and in a convoy arrangement the coverage is more than adequate.
You can usually pick up a CB rig for about ?40, a VHF set will cost you considerably more plus there is the exam fees to allow you to gain the license to operate.

If however you were thinking of joining one of the 4 x 4 response units then a VHF set is more of an assett, just splash out and get both ;)

T

hovis

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:23:55 AM »
cheers for you your help pal i think i will get both then I'm sure to have the right one lol
05 D3 TDV6
98 disco 300TDI
90 110 200tdi
89 90 2.5 turbo

gm1mqe

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 12:37:35 PM »
The sets used for 4x4 response and for SLROC events are VMH sets and you need to get a club to agree you can get a licence. The RAC hold the master licence and allocate clubs with call signs. eg SLROC members that have a licence via the club are all "LOWBOX" call signs. Some members have a different call sign if they are also in another group and they allocated the callsign.

CB is fine for most things and a few people also use PBR 446 sets that are also licence free.

The next possibility is a PBR license. I hold one for my sets and for a few other people. The licence costs ?60 for 3 years.

Lastly is Amateur Radio. Quite a few people have sets and most use VHF in the amateur band allocation.

One serious word of warning. Do NOT install or use a set you do not hold the correct licence for. They wont just take your radio away - they will take your land rover as well. Yes - this does happen!

If you have any specific questions from all this drop me an Email at GM1MQE@AOL.COM

Cheers Andy Norrie  GM1MQE, Lowbox 7, and Highbox Control

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 12:58:04 PM »
I have been advised that it's ok to install a amature set as long as it's only used to listen in. Is that wrong as I don't transmit. I only listen. 
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 01:39:58 PM »
We will be running a one-day course for the Foundation Licence very soon - come and join in and then you can transmit as well.
Navigator          GM1VBE

python

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 01:45:59 PM »
I will do that. We need around 7 - 10 spaces if possible? Thanks for that. Nothing worse than having a toy you can't play with.  Let me know the date and I'll give you a decimate yes or no mate. Thanks.
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

gm1mqe

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 01:49:19 PM »
Going back a bit I had to sign the official secrets act when I applied for and got my marine HF licence. At that time it specifically stated that monitoring any frequency was acceptable but it was an offence to discuss what you heard even if it was just the skipper of a fishing boat telling his wife when he would be home. Since the availability of scanners I think that no one cares about that but I can not be sure.

I got one definition wrong PBR 446 should have been PMR 446. Sorry about that.

Doing the Amateur one day foundation course is a great way to go and it nice to see there is a course abailable.

Cheers, Andy

python

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 02:16:34 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up. I'll only be monitering so I'll be fine. I hope.
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 04:38:34 PM »
We need around 7 - 10 spaces if possible?
I'm taking that to mean you have 7 - 10 folk as potential candidates. Great - the class can be run for groups of 8, 16, 24, etc. We just need a few more licensed people to be helpers, and I've plenty volunteers for that!

python

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 04:47:52 PM »
Hi. Yes there's around ten possibles so if there is a date I'll put it to the group for a headcount. I'm definatly wanting to do the exam.
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

tgreer

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 07:09:19 PM »
The sets used for 4x4 response and for SLROC events are VMH sets and you need to get a club to agree you can get a licence. The RAC hold the master licence and allocate clubs with call signs. eg SLROC members that have a licence via the club are all "LOWBOX" call signs. Some members have a different call sign if they are also in another group and they allocated the callsign.
Cheers Andy Norrie  GM1MQE, Lowbox 7, and Highbox Control

Last I checked these can only be used on MSA authorised events?

For GRRs as everyone says CB is the most popular, however there are more and more people getting their amateur licences for UHF/VHF.

Coming from a PMR background I'd have to advise against using PMR sets, more hassle than their worth unless you're operating in a group and the same people are using it.

PMR 446 stuff is ok to use as it's licence free, however you require PMR446 approved sets as they have to conform to certain standards.

Any questions give me a shout.

Navigator, if you need a hand give me a shout.

Thomas

MM6LRS
LOWBOX 42
1975 Series 3 Land Rover - ex-MOD 109" Hard Top
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 07:21:34 PM »
Navigator, if you need a hand give me a shout.

Offer noted thanks!  I'll be in touch.

Worth mentioning on PMR446 that there seem to be two varieties of sets, those based on commercial sets (and costing a lot) and those based on kiddies play sets (and costing very little).  I've no idea how well the latter perform, but they could be considered as "disposable" in an off-road environment.

hovis

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 08:15:50 PM »
thanks for all the info were can you do the exam?
i think i may just get a AM/FM CB thats the free ones right?
05 D3 TDV6
98 disco 300TDI
90 110 200tdi
89 90 2.5 turbo

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 08:25:56 PM »
The course we are running will have the exam at the end, and results by 5pm.

No charge to 4x4 Response group members either.  There is an individual exam fee of ?25 that goes to the RSGB for the exam paper and marking.