Helping out with your 4x4.

· 53 · 16009

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
Re: Helping out with your 4x4.
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 06:34:11 PM »
havent seen it on the national mate but ill search again, thanks.   ;D
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

Tim

• Carbon has a footprint but it has no feet.........
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 07:08:28 PM »
Piper5, have you tried contacting any of the numerous yacht clubs on the Forth/tay estuary, they often host training nights for marine VHF licences for their members.

I can't look at my licence at the moment as it's with the RA/MCA being revalidated for another 5 years.
On my drive now - Zanzibar Bronze Evoque 5 door Dynamic Lux Plus with Intelligence & Black Packs with Tan interior
Gone - Fuji White RR Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux Plus
Staying - 1996 Epsom Green TDi 300 CHT that is now a CSW

Alarmgard

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 03:24:21 PM »
hi colin another bit of info that may be of use to your group , we were told by fifes emergency planner that the government has passed a directive to all insurance companies that if you are doing voluntary work or work in times of emergency then your standard insurance will cover you to use your vehicle, apparently this wording is to be added to all insurance documents,
i am awaiting a copy of the government letter through fife raynet

Richard, I think your information is out of date there is already a mechansism in place. If your volunteers car is insured fully comp then there is no issue with helping out as a volunteer driver. All your required to do is inform them that you acting as a volunteer driver and that you do not get paid for your time or use of your vehicle (for clarity its advisable to get them to acknowledge this in writing and note it on the Policy), you can however accept remuneration of fuel expenses at the rates published by HMRC. In the last year I and others have spoken to numerous car insurance companies about cover for volunteer drivers and certainly none of their underwriters indicated that they were intending to change the policy wording to give a blanket permision to do this type of volunteering.

The other thing to remember is that organisations like WRVS and Salvation Army etc have been volunteering as drivers for agencies for years and cover for this use has subsequently been agreed and put in place. The other established issue is that of Liabillity should something happen to your passengers or goods or a member of the public whilst out operating in adverse conditions, not all policies automatically cover this and it then becomes advisable to have additional Public Liabillity Insurance. Its also worth noting that not all car policies have legal cover.

For all our members we ensure that they have made their Insurers aware of their volunteering and that we have written confirmation of this. We also have additional insurances in place that cover other risks and liabillities.

Certainly when I talk to Dougie at Fife Council next I will ask him about what you have said.
Colin Rodger

Marshals needed for CompSafari's give me a call if you can help.
Email:colin.rodger@virgin.net or mobile: 07767726075

Alarmgard

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 03:26:53 PM »
A question, I already have a full professional unrestricted HF/MF/VHF/satcom GMDSS licence issued by the RA, do I still have to retrain to operate a landside mobile station?

Tim, as has been said already depends on your license conditions. If you dont have the entitlement you would only need to do a one/two day Foundation License Course to gain it)duration depends on where you do the course)
Colin Rodger

piper5

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 05:41:41 PM »
hi colin another bit of info that may be of use to your group , we were told by fifes emergency planner that the government has passed a directive to all insurance companies that if you are doing voluntary work or work in times of emergency then your standard insurance will cover you to use your vehicle, apparently this wording is to be added to all insurance documents,
i am awaiting a copy of the government letter through fife raynet

Richard, I think your information is out of date there is already a mechansism in place. If your volunteers car is insured fully comp then there is no issue with helping out as a volunteer driver. All your required to do is inform them that you acting as a volunteer driver and that you do not get paid for your time or use of your vehicle (for clarity its advisable to get them to acknowledge this in writing and note it on the Policy), you can however accept remuneration of fuel expenses at the rates published by HMRC. In the last year I and others have spoken to numerous car insurance companies about cover for volunteer drivers and certainly none of their underwriters indicated that they were intending to change the policy wording to give a blanket permision to do this type of volunteering.

The other thing to remember is that organisations like WRVS and Salvation Army etc have been volunteering as drivers for agencies for years and cover for this use has subsequently been agreed and put in place. The other established issue is that of Liabillity should something happen to your passengers or goods or a member of the public whilst out operating in adverse conditions, not all policies automatically cover this and it then becomes advisable to have additional Public Liabillity Insurance. Its also worth noting that not all car policies have legal cover.

For all our members we ensure that they have made their Insurers aware of their volunteering and that we have written confirmation of this. We also have additional insurances in place that cover other risks and liabillities.

Certainly when I talk to Dougie at Fife Council next I will ask him about what you have said.

hi colin what we were told was this had been put in place last january but lots of insurance companies hadnt adopted it  and they were now being told to include it in all policies, this came from dougie potter via jim burke

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2011, 08:33:05 PM »
Colin, A guy in Canada was on the Ex Mil owners forum asking about how to set up a response group, so I took the liberty of posting a link to your website, you may get contacted.

Cheers,

G.   
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Alarmgard

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2011, 08:45:13 PM »
Ok no problem Gene.
Colin Rodger

Alarmgard

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2011, 07:17:59 PM »
Lothian 4x4 Response will be exhibiting at the Scottish Motorfair at Knockhill this weekend, more details here http://motorsport-events.knockhill.com/scottish_motorshow.php

We will also be giving members of the public the opportunity to see what 4x4 vehicles can do, with some of our members offering trips round an off-road course at the event.

There will also be a tombola on our stand to help raise funds for the team.

Come and meet the team and find out more about what the team does to help in the community.

Find out more on our web site: www.lothian4x4response.org or on facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Lothian-4x4-Response/113177975417660
Colin Rodger

Ginger_TD5

• Name: Gordon McNair
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2011, 10:49:01 PM »
There is a group called "Strathclyde 4x4 Response" previously "Cotag Ayrshire" however I believe that they are not yet up and running.

I'd be willing to help within Ayrshire and agree with a lot of the comments as it is good to put something back into the community.

coolcamper55

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2011, 07:35:51 AM »
There is a group called "Strathclyde 4x4 Response" previously "Cotag Ayrshire" however I believe that they are not yet up and running.

I'd be willing to help within Ayrshire and agree with a lot of the comments as it is good to put something back into the community.

Just to set the record straight Starthclyde 4 x 4 Response is up and running, and the team have been working fevourishly in the background setting up all the aspects that need to be in place to allow the set up.
S4x4R is now a registered Charity, has all the processes in place for Disclosure Scotland and is in the throws of setting up training for Radio and First Aid.
There is a web site that has been set up to allow access to what's going on. There are plans to develope the web site however this is a wee bit off.

http://s4x4r.freeforums.org/index.php

S4x4R has no connection with Cotag never has, it is a fresh initiative to establish the service in the area of Strathclyde.
We have members in Ayrshire and have a few more pending from that part of the region.
If you want more info drop me a PM or download a membership form from the site

Apologies to SLROC if I have stepped over the line using this site to push S4x4R.

Tommy

Alarmgard

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2011, 12:42:02 PM »
Tommy,

There is a distant connection with Cotag, Cotag Ayrshire(a team under the Cotag Morray banner) was set up by a guy called Rab Bark, this then broke away to become Strathclyde 4x4 Response and it was registered with the National 4x4 Response Charity. There was loads of talk about the groups lack of progression and ultimately the main contact wasn't answering emails etc I believe due to other commitments. Then Stuart came along and asked the National Charity if he could move things forward, they agreed. This was then the catalyst that lead to all new and improved Strathclde 4x4 Response Team, you will see reference on the www to the old group that predate what Stuart  and the rest of you have done.

As a point of note for anyone else who's interested in getting involved there are teams  covering virtually the whole of Scotland, best place for more information is on the National Charity website, I could list them all but not all have a web presence (current contact details are on the site) and I have tried to keep this topic about the Lothians Team news & Developements so find out about your own local teams here: http://www.4x4response.info/?pid=groupregister
Colin Rodger

Alarmgard

Lothian 4x4 Response @ the Scottish Motorfair Knockhill
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2011, 10:34:40 AM »
This weekend sees the Scottish Motorfair @ Knockhill take place.  Lothian 4x4 Response have a stand at the show where you can come meet members of the team and find out more about what we do. Members will also be giving trips round the Knockhill off road course, so they can get a bit of experience of the joys of off road vehicles.

The organisers of the event have been working hard to get many exhibitors to the show and certainly along with the teams stand there are a few more that may also be of interest to Landrover Fans, There?s the SLROC stand, The comp Safari competitive course and even Land Rover will have one of the new Range Rover Evoque's on a stand.

Plenty for everyone of all ages to see and do, so if your coming along remember to come along and say hello to the Lothian 4x4 Response Team members, you never know you might event win a prize in our tombola.

Lothian 4x4 Response www.lothian4x4response.org or on Face book http://on.fb.me/myh49d

More about the event on http://www.knockhill.com/
Colin Rodger

Alarmgard

Lothian 4x4 Response at the Scottish Motorshow.
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2011, 09:43:42 AM »
Thanks to everyone who came and supported the team, thanks for buying tickets for our tombola. The team members had a great time at the weekend and certainly all the talk from the passengers in our vehicles was that it was great to see so much 4x4 stuff, especially the noisey fast ones. So well done to the SHRC and SLROC on putting on the comp safari display, it certainly got people talking.

Thanks again for the support and in time we will get loads of pictures up on the teams facebook page https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Lothian-4x4-Response/113177975417660
Colin Rodger

Alarmgard

Next Group Meeting in Falkirk 3rd August
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2011, 02:04:44 PM »
Hi Everyone,

A few of you who live in the Falkirk, Clackmananshire and Stirling Council Areas have expressed an interest in getting involved helping with your 4x4's in bad weather etc. Well the teams next meeting takes place on Wednesday the 3rd of August and is being held in the Red Cross Building in Falkirk, starting 7.30. As well as the teams normal business, Falkirks Councils Emergency Planning team will also be doing a presentation on the work they do and where Lothian 4x4 Response fit into their emergency plans.

So certainly a good opportunity to come and find out more about how you can help. An important point to note is that although many people when theres an incident will happily off to help out with their vehicles, many public service agencies can not actually accept this help as you wont have been vetted and checks to check insurance etc. So although you want to help you cannot, by getting involved in a 4x4 Response Team all these checks and issues will have been addressed beforehand.

You don't also need to have a 4x4 to help out, there are many roles within the team that a non 4x4 owner or non driver can do. If you want to help get in touch.

Our team has grown to 35 members since we formed in January 2010 and the current members want to continue building the team to be able to best serve the communities that we live in.

Although we are called Lothian 4x4 Response we cover the following council areas Falkirk, Clackmananshire, Stirling, East Lothian, West Lothian, Midlothian, Edinburgh City and Parts of Borders Council Area's. When active the team will generally cover your fuel expenses when out assisting in the community.

The meeting venue: British RedCross, Bradbury House, Grangemouth Road, Falkirk, FK2 9AA

Start time: 19.30hrs

One thing we would ask is that if would like to attend you let us know in advance, so that we can organise the seating for the numbers expected and most importantly the catering requirements.

So if interested get in touch colin.rodger@virgin.net or mobile 07767726075
Colin Rodger

Maxxed_Ross

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2011, 05:57:12 PM »
I looked into this after I got talking to Cotag at Knockhill a few years ago, but they wanted members to be part of the IAM - and after being totally turned off the whole idea (I put up with my smart ass instructor for 6 months) that kinda fell flat
"Lara" - 2001 Defender 110 Tomb Raider Edition