Helping out with your 4x4.

· 53 · 16008

Alarmgard

Helping out with your 4x4.
« on: January 06, 2010, 04:18:59 PM »
We all do it when asked, we help out when needed, whether it is someone broken down, stuck in the mud/snow or simply needing assistance.

A few of us are involved in rally communications and Raynet Emergency Communications (http://www.raynet-uk.net/) and generally use our 4x4's to be able to get in the best position possible to operate efficiently. However there are times when the availability and use of a 4x4 vehicle with a competent driver/kit can help out the Local Emergency Planning Officer or emergency services with logistical support in times of adverse weather conditions or other disasters.

While 4x4response groups have been around for about 25 years and more recently Cotag in the North of Scotland, there isn't actually any formally setup 4x4 response teams in the East Central Scotland that an Epo can call on. Fife Raynet have several members and can call on friends with 4x4's to aid their operations and work with well with the local EPO. It should be noted that although to some that these groups are seen as gung ho warriors, wanting to race around helping people, in reality they are well trained and organised. They leave the Emergency Response to the Category one responders, who are trained and paid to do it.

As mentioned there is Cotag -Community Off-Road Transport Action Group -http://www.cotag.net/
and the National 4x4 Response - http://www.4x4response.info/ both of which are a good source of information to get a better idea of what I am on about.

At this time Cotag have no plans to set up anymore groups and are currently working on their own structure/development, so any new group could not be under the Cotag banner. However they have a wealth of experience and will share this with us.

The reason for my post is that a few of us have been talking about the possibility about putting together a local response group, so that we can put something back into the community in times of need.

At the moment we have enough interest to start a local group covering the Lothian?s Area of Scotland. However as with any venture it needs support to work and was sure there are other like minded people that would want to be involved.

Whilst we are not looking to cover a big area, this shouldn?t preclude people from getting involved initially as working together we can learn and develop the concept with a view to other areas being developed later with the knowledge gained.

Were looking to see what the level of interest is and based on this we will organize a public meeting at a suitable time and location.

If you?re interested can you email us lothian4x4response@gmail.com

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:33:31 PM by Alarmgard »
Colin Rodger

Marshals needed for CompSafari's give me a call if you can help.
Email:colin.rodger@virgin.net or mobile: 07767726075

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: Helping out with your 4x4.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 08:03:20 PM »
I'd sign up if there was a Perthshire/Stirling group. I've got a nice letter somewhere from the local Plod for helping out during some local flooding a few years ago.

...and anyone who is looking for help from the Army, Regular or local TA, forget it. We've been told very firmly that we have no role in assisting the community, without Ministerial level approval, unless the local commander decides "that life is at risk" or the Police specifically ask for help - for which they have to pay !
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Alarmgard

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 10:35:29 PM »
The reply email address had a typoin it, its been corrected.

All replies should be to lothian4x4response@gmail.com
Colin Rodger

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:21:05 PM »
I think it's a great idea.... and as another RayNet operator, I get miffed about the lethargic sluggishness that some groups take to move with the times (and, oh boy, has the world moved on in the past 10 years!!)

As you say, avoiding the label of the "gung ho Weekend Warrior" (real or percieved) will be a problem... but I reckon a good training program could help with that.

rangerovering

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:38:25 PM »
I'd sign up if there was a Perthshire/Stirling group. I've got a nice letter somewhere from the local Plod for helping out during some local flooding a few years ago.

I'd second that! I am kinda 50/50 between Edinburgh and Kinross, so anything around that area is good. Not got much formal training or equipment but happy to help where possible!
Steve

Alarmgard

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 07:53:10 PM »
Theres a good interest on this and anyone wanting to be involved should email the group at lothian4x4response@gmail.com to register your interest.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 10:12:39 PM by Alarmgard »
Colin Rodger

genem

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 09:45:47 PM »
Theres a good interest on this and anyone wanting to be involved should email the group at lothian4x4@gmail.com to register their interest.

Colin, that addddress as n erra innit......

The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<lothian4x4@gmail.com>
    (reason: 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try)

Its lothian4x4response@gmail.com

G

Alarmgard

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 10:10:02 PM »
Was having my daily blonde moment....................currently scheduled from 12.01am this morning to 23.59 tonight :)

I have corrected it now. It was just said on the BBC news that there is a national shortage of 4x4's (hope the environmentalists weren't listening) it showed Coast Guard vehicles helping out getting medical help to people.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 10:12:06 PM by Alarmgard »
Colin Rodger

genem

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 11:11:54 PM »
Was having my daily blonde moment....................currently scheduled from 12.01am this morning to 23.59 tonight :)

I have corrected it now. It was just said on the BBC news that there is a national shortage of 4x4's (hope the environmentalists weren't listening) it showed Coast Guard vehicles helping out getting medical help to people.

One consequence of the MOD policy of removing "green fleet" vehicles and replacing them with "white fleet" while at the same time telling the Army that they are NOT to take part in assistance to the civil community unless Local Govt or the Police are willing to pay - unless there is a specific "threat to life".  Your local TA unit, 20 years ago, would have had a pile of LR & 4 Tonners and been able to help out within hours. Today they are likely to have far fewer and a couple of minibuses instead. My current unit has Landrovers - but they are civvy ones and we are specifically banned from using them off-road. Its insane - and driven by the bean-counters.

Alarmgard

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 11:12:58 AM »
Yes read a few council emergency plans and they all make reference to the cost issue of using the Military. Seems silly when you consider that a large part of the cost is already having to be paid for, regardless of whether it is used or not.
Colin Rodger

Renny

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 12:04:29 PM »
Colin,

I'm involved with Fife RAYNET and have assisted in the past with incidents. Unfortunately due to insurance concerns and RAYNET operational/constitutional limitations, they are not as able to assist as a dedicated 4x4 group might do.
Is it just lothians you are looking at, or if there are interested parties in Fife, might it be worth setting up a "Fife based" group? As you pointed out COTAG are firmly based in NE Scotland and have no expansion plans, but they are willing to share experience, procedures and good practice.
Renny Thomson
MSA Scrutineer and Radio Controller
www.disco3.co.uk

Alarmgard

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 04:46:20 PM »
Hi Renny,

I am aware of the work that Fife Raynet do, I am as probably know a member of Lothian?s Raynet and understand some of the insurance implications that can sometime hinder progress. I have been approached by a few people in other area?s to see about setting other response groups up, the advice I have been given by other longer established groups is that forming one group takes a lot of effort and certainly their will be things to learn and mistakes made. Working as one group and assisting in other areas is better until there is enough interest in setting up an area specific group, this is beneficial in terms of gaining experience and knowledge from one group and secondly it gives a bigger initial support in terms of resources.

Cotag were three groups and one of them is now Strathclyde 4x4 response and Moray & Aberdeen have merged to become Cotag 4x4 Response. Certainly the initial view is although Lothian?s 4x4 Response has been setup to primarily cover Edinburgh & the Lothian?s it will almost certainly help in other areas of Scotland whilst there is a need and we have resources available. It also ensures that any individual who would ordinarily muck in and help has third party liability insurance for what they are doing.

To date response has been very good, with the group only being promoted in a couple of places. Were now about to make a wider audience aware of the group and this should generate further interest. Cotag 4x4 Response have certainly been praised for the work they have been doing http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8450252.stm

Again if anyone is interested in helping the wider community in times of need with your 4x4 then give Lothian 4x4 Response a shout lothian4x4response@gmail.com Please also tell anyone else that you think might be interested in helping.
Colin Rodger

boghog

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 10:16:28 PM »
On a topical note, there was an item on, 'You and yours', (Radio 4) about the Yorkshire and Lincolnshire 4x4 response group. It is available on the BBC listen again at the link below. It is about 20 mins into the programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/b006qps9/console

Alarmgard

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 09:28:51 AM »
The next team meeting is tomorrow evening all interested parties welcome:

The meeting will start at 7.30pm, this meeting will take the form of a short meeting & training session.

The venue for this meeting will be EH54 6QL

With the kind support of the Clydesdale Bank, the meeting will be held in Clydesdale Bank, 1st Floor - Cairngorm House, Almondvale Boulevard, Livingston.

Parking is at the rear of the building -  enter at mini-roundabout - between sports centre and direct flooring ( opposite MacDonald's drive through)

Enter through glass door  and buzzer entry on left hand side -   There will be no entry available from the Boulevard >>>   

Amateur Radio Training:

The team have also arranged a Foundation Amateur Radio Course for the 27Th June 2010, the venue will be the Clydesdale Bank Training Room as above.

The course is open to all members of Lothian 4x4 Response and subject to availability non members. There is a maximum number of people we can accommodate in the training room, so book early to avoid disappointment.

If you are interested in booking a place on this course or need more information please contact   hugh.steele@lothian4x4response.org

Event Assistance:

The team have been asked to assist at a number of Charity events for the remainder of the year, a full list of these will be available at the meeting.

If you want to attend the meeting, it would be good if you could let us know so that we can organise the seating in the room to suit the size of the group.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me colin.rodger@virgin.net

Regards, Colin.

Colin Rodger

freelandy1

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 11:34:50 AM »
I would be intersted, I mentioned this last night on the car sticker post. Seems like a very good idea when you think of the poor weather we have year on year. May also improve the 4xs image and highlight the club

James
James
TD4 freelander 1
working on a 90