1995 Defender 110 300tdi. fitting disco rear axle for salisbury, questions

· 4 · 2329

banzia

• Name: james
Hi Folks..
I have a 1995 defender and my steel modulars are a mess so I wanted to fit alloys, This isnt possible because the salisbury axle thats fitted has drum brakes.
Can I convert this axle (salisbury) to disk brakes?
Spoke to someone recently who suggested I replace the axle with a discovery rear axle. Is this a straight forward procedure? Will the prop shaft fit the disco axle?
What about the flexi brake pipes..

Im sure one of you guys have already done this..

Any advise welcome..
j
I Need To Stop Eating Biscuits

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
By 1995, 110s already had a disc brake salisbury fitted as standard. I take it yours has been swapped out at some stage, if your happy enough with the drum brakes fit a set of 30mm spacers and you can fit your alloys straight on. The problem with the earlier axle is the deep drive members don't alloy the wheels to pull up on to the face of the drum or the front hub, causing them to come loose as you drive. If you have deep drive members front and rear then spacers would be the easiest option, saves swapping both axles or swapping cv joints and drive members on the front and a small fortune buying all the parts to convert the salisbury to discs.

cheers,
           Stevie.

lreay

James,

Looks like my advice was wrong, see Bills post http://slroc2.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4629.0.

Cheers
Luke

banzia

• Name: james
Hi Thanks for that..
Luke I have sent u email.. with my mobile number would like to talk about wheels..
j
I Need To Stop Eating Biscuits