2"Lift kit v standard suspension.

· 8 · 2018

Dunc

• Name: Duncan Thomson
2"Lift kit v standard suspension.
« on: November 12, 2012, 04:55:53 PM »
 As I am about to change the springs and shocks all round and there is not a great difference price wise apart from the obvious height difference, what would be the advantages be of fitting a 2" lift kit ? Thanks for the info I advance.    Duncan.
If a hammer won't fix it, get a bigger hammer !!

Piwi

Re: 2"Lift kit v standard suspension.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 07:21:10 PM »
You will have better ground clearance on the body of the vehicle, specifically at arrival and departure angles ie front and rear bumpers, tow hitch but you will still have same ground clearance issues with your axles,diffs etc.So if you want improve axle clearance  then you need to increase height with taller tyres.
300 tdi , 3 door discovery
200 tdi 110 utility
300 tdi 90
200 tdi 110 csw
Td5 Discovery
Currently 97 Japanese import 300 tdi Discovery.

Malc

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 07:31:30 PM »
Dunc, remember to consider extended bump stops. Best way of ruining new shocks is to use them as the bump stop!!
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

Tomreade93

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 08:05:24 PM »
correct me if im wrong but you don't need extended bump stops if you were to buy +2" shocks and springs?
Defender 110 1998 300Tdi

Defender 100 300tdi  Based on Discovery 1

Dunc

• Name: Duncan Thomson
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 12:36:57 PM »
 ???  ??? Maybe I should have worded the question a bit clearer, what are the advantages of a 2" lift kit as opposed to a standard, ie , ride comfort, handling and performance on and off road ? (where it will be more often, touch wood)
                                                                      Duncan
If a hammer won't fix it, get a bigger hammer !!

rangerovering

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 06:42:23 PM »
x2 what Piwi said.

For onroad use its purely going to be an image thing than any improvement on performance - more lean, less precise and unless paired with suitabel tyres, a bit silly looking IMO! lol

For most people a standard LR will do all the off roading they will ever need. If you need bigger tyres for serious mud plugging then lifts come into play.
Steve

Malc

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 08:11:07 PM »
Agree with rangerovering - I wouldn't fit a lift kit unless you were also going for bigger wheels, there isn't much point in adding ground clearance only to the body. I bought mine with a lift kit and bigger tyres already installed. Its definitely useful in some situations off road. However it seems to be a little bit of disadvantage for RTVs due to steering lock loss (bigger tyres causing this rather than the lift kit). In terms of on road - if anything its a little bit worse on road but not much. As I use mine on the road only to get to events then I like the set up I have. In terms of extended bump stops, then it really depends on the exact set up you have, but usually fitting a lift adds height but not any more articulation. The body of the shocker is longer and so on full compression the shock can bottom out before the axle connects with the bump stop and you ruin your shocks (guess who learned the hard way :-[). I fitted them for this reason and also to stop me larger tyres rubbing in the wheel arch.
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

Alan Mc

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 10:31:51 PM »
Would agree with previous posts re. more body clearance and poses a question for you around larger tyres.  I fitted a 2" lift to my D2 and did away with the air at the back at the same time a couple of months back.  I've not looked back - I prefer the on road feel which is a little stiffer and given the larger tyres that I have fitted, off road performance is up on previous.

It's a matter of opinion I guess.  If you're still considering, might be worth speaking with Chris at MM4x4 who was very helpful talking me through options (and I eventually bought from them).

Hope this helps.  Alan.