Yet another oil leak...

· 4 · 1719

mudTerrain

Yet another oil leak...
« on: May 27, 2012, 12:27:24 PM »
Hello,

can anybody identify this bolt/plug on my defender TD5 gearbox, please?

It's not easy to see where exactly this is, but it's looking forwards at the bottom of the bell-housing and the bolt that's leaking oil is ahead of the join between the gearbox and the engine.  I don't think it's the bellhousing drain plug, as I reckon that's the square-key bolt in the middle of the bellhousing, but I could be wrong...the Haynes manual just says "for God's sake, don't do it!" in the section on gearbox maintenance and nobody else on the internet seems to have a gearbox that looks like mine (they're not keen on posting images of them, anyway...).  The bolt leaking is directly above the anti-roll bar...

Here's a close-up view - it looks like the large bolt on the left is the one leaking - I think the oil dripping off the bolt to the right is running across the bottom of the gearbox casing from the left hand bolt...although it could be the other way round, I suppose.

On other landrovers, oil dripping from the bellhousing indicates a leaking crankshaft seal - I don't know if that's what's happening here?

Any thoughts etc would be very helpful...

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
Re: Yet another oil leak...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 01:31:41 PM »
Hi from the picture the bottom left bolt in the picture looks like your engine sump plug which is only practically fixed during a oil change try some sealant around the bolt when putting it back in .the drain plug in the middle is the bell housing .loosen it to check the crank seal and gearbox input seal .
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 01:41:48 PM by vag_landy »
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

mudTerrain

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 01:46:08 PM »
Hi,

thanks for that - I feel a bit of an idiot not knowing that was the sump plug!

That's far less of a worry than I thought it was, then...

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 08:04:11 PM »
Your very welcome there is quite a few drain plugs that don't seem to do anything

Greg
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90