TONY R

wheel bearing???
« on: February 27, 2011, 04:51:22 PM »
 ??? Just wondering if anyone could help me, lve just noticed a noise coming from the front of my disco 2 TD5, l can feel and hear a low hum when l turn the steering wheel slightly to the left whilst driving. My first thought was 1 of the wheel bearings are on their way out so l jacked the front end up and wiggled either side but cant feel any movement to that effect to tell me if it is the bearings.....also, if it is the wheel bearing, do l need the hub assembly as well when replacing?........cheers

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
Re: wheel bearing???
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 05:20:55 PM »
Hi,
    sounds like a wheel bearing starting to go, with it jacked up and supported hold the wheel with one hand at 6 and the other at 12 o'clock and rock, if you feel play get an assistant to press the footbrake while you rock the wheel. If the play goes away it's the wheel bearing, if not it's swivel or ball joint related.
Disco 2s and p38s sometimes let water and muck in through the rear seal of the wheel bearing causing roughness and noise in the bearing without showing any play or lift. If you can't feel any roughness by slowly spinning the front wheel then remove the wheel and feel for roughness in the bearing by spinning the hub, we've even removed the brake disc and caliper to get a better indication of how rough the bearing is when turning the hub.
 Yes, it comes as a full hub assembly which is expensive. Make sure you slacken the big half shaft nut before strip the brakes off as they can be very tight to undo,you'll also need a big torque wrench to torque the new nut back up(32mm socket) and slacken the four hub retaining bolts from the rear of the hub carrier, a soft faced hammer to persuade! the old hub off. It's a diy job, more awkward than hard to do.

Hope this helps mate.

cheers,
         Stevie

TONY R

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 06:43:05 PM »
thanks Steve, l took the wheels off again earlier and noticed a thin rubber seal hanging loose from the rear of the off side front hub, could this be the seal that your on about or am l being daft??? I also priced up the hub assembly and bearing and yeh, they are about ?180 all in......regards Tony

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 07:31:58 PM »
Hi Tony,
           that sounds like it, it's more just a dust cover to stop the worst of any muck ingress but once any dirt gets in the bearing gets damaged very quickly as there's not much grease in them. Definitely a pricey item but I hope you get sorted out soon.

cheers,
           Stevie.

TONY R

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 09:41:54 PM »
just noticed someone selling a 2nd hand 1 on ebay in good condition for ?40, might just get that and do it myself