rangerover p38 dt in to hse

· 7 · 2780

disco man

rangerover p38 dt in to hse
« on: June 30, 2010, 09:03:11 PM »
hi can anybody help i have a p38 2.5 dt thats a bit rough an i have the chance of a mint 4.6 hse with a dud engine does anybodt know how hard the 4.6 would be to convert to diesel using my dt engine etc or has anybody done a conversion that could give me some info

rangerovering

Re: rangerover p38 dt in to hse
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 06:00:34 PM »
Hi

Not a straight forward conversion. The gearboxes will have to be swapped as well as the engines due to the completely different shift points and ratios.

Getting the BCM to accept the new engine may be tricky, to my knowledge there wasn't an diesel HSE so how compatible they are I don't know. All the engine loom, ECU and sensors will need swapped, the whole fuel system as well.

Not impossible but certainly a lot of work! Probably easier and cheaper fixing the 4.6 and gassing it. Depends what is wrong with the engine, slipped liners can be fixed and the whole lot put back together better than new ;)

If you need it, I have a chap who comes highly recomended. He built my engine and I have seen 2 others of his, they are brilliant! He is doing a P38 V8 for a guy on here at the end of July.

HTH
Steve

disco man

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 07:44:40 AM »
ok thanks for your help to be honest i would rather have the diesel in it so a think i have a task on my hands i change the engine in my last dse using a lump out a 325 tds bmw an everything had to be changed so i imagine it shouldnt be much harder except the fuel system wich should be pretty straight forward thanks again

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 09:16:11 AM »
Hi

Not a straight forward conversion. The gearboxes will have to be swapped as well as the engines due to the completely different shift points and ratios.

Getting the BCM to accept the new engine may be tricky, to my knowledge there wasn't an diesel HSE so how compatible they are I don't know. All the engine loom, ECU and sensors will need swapped, the whole fuel system as well.

HTH

My wifes P38 is a DHSE - A fair few about. Its the BMW 2.5.

G
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

rangerovering

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 09:56:21 PM »
Hi

HTH

My wifes P38 is a DHSE - A fair few about. Its the BMW 2.5.

G

I stand corrected, is it the "Vogue" that there is only V8 engines?
Steve

disco man

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 10:33:11 PM »
no as far as i was aware the hse were all petrols an the dse was diesel bmw engined i thought the hse was just a tad under spec,d than the vogue ive never seen a dhse ive only ever saw hse or dse

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 08:18:34 AM »
This morning there were 19 DHSE P38s for sale on Autotrader vs 190 HSEs.

As for ones just pottering about there are two in our village and another i see regularly driving locally.  I don't know about the comparative spec, I can't think of many more toys that could be loaded into the wifes car bar maybe satnav. I know they are more expensive to buy now than a V8 of similar vintage. The current crop on Autotrader start at ?5995 for a 2000 W plate, similar HSE start just below ?4k.

...now if they would just have built something less complicated electrically so the damn air suspension did not play up...... ;)  Ours currently thinks it has a fault and sits permanently in "off-road" mode. No problem to me but herself quite likes that air suspension trick where the back drops to unload the shopping.... 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 08:27:19 AM by genem »
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....