lr90 clunk bang

· 6 · 1494

92jdegnan

• You can go fast, but I can go anywhere
  • Name: jason degnan
lr90 clunk bang
« on: May 17, 2015, 06:12:54 PM »
 So after driving around for months with a scary loud bang and thump from the drive terrain (that I was assured was just the a frame ball joint) I finally got round to replacing it today. Whole new unit rather than trying to change the ball joint.

Bad news is that the clunk is just as bad. Leading me to believe that either I did not tighten the retaining nut up enough.....or there is another issue with the drive terrain of my defender.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

The noise is a very loud clunk/bang that can be felt right through the floor of thr defender when the engine is under load/accelerate harshly/let the clutch out fast, feels like the diff is hitting the bottom on the car
Land Rover 90
110 Hi Cap
4.0 range rover p38
Freelander
200tdi Disco

weetoddy

Re: lr90 clunk bang
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 08:35:09 PM »
Prop UJs ? Mine used to clunk like that then went bang and prop fell off .

Cheers Iain
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and leaky engine

piper5

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 10:13:55 PM »
jack up a wheel at each end then go under and turn the propshafts by hand and check the uj's that is most likely, transfer gear could be another cause

aqms987

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 11:08:29 PM »
Transfer gear a very likely cause, to check remove the end plate from the rear of the transfer box (5 nuts) then look in the resulting hole, you should be able to see clearly if there is any excess float/backlash between the g/box main shaft and the output gear. I assume you have checked the individual drive flanges @ each outer hub, these can give rather alarming back lash when excessively worn. Obviously the first thing to check is the prop-shaft U/J's and sliding splines. The transfer gear wear was a very common issue prior to the modified ones being fitted.

piper5

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 06:53:36 PM »
i am in dalgety bay could have a look if you pop over

Malc

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 04:50:03 PM »
Worth checking gearbox and engine mounts
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8