strange lights

· 5 · 1397

eforbes

• Name: Forbes Davies
strange lights
« on: September 22, 2015, 07:12:30 AM »
Hi wonder if anyone can shed some light on this when I apply the brakes on my 90 with the head lights on the rear fog light lights up and the left hand indicator and puts out the front left hand side light. I was wondering if it could be an earthing fault ? If so am I best to earth all the lights straight to the battery ? Cheers

Forbes

cenemc

Re: strange lights
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 08:56:24 AM »
Either earthing or possession by an evil spirit 8)

eforbes

• Name: Forbes Davies
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 10:06:19 AM »
 ;D brilliant. Are the rear lights earthed all together at the rear or could I run a new earth and earth them all together ? Better not say it's an evil spirit it didn't fail it's mot on much at all :)

Thanks for the speedy response

Sandy M

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 07:09:48 PM »
The rear lights on each side are joined to a common earth terminal which is screwed to the wheelbox panel (buried in the vipers nest that lurks behind the covers in each rear corner).

michaels118

• If it fell off, it probably wasn't important....
  • Name: Michael Stephen
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 05:15:47 PM »
Not sure of protocol as this is my first post....

Probably an earthing fault as per other posts, but I have also had weird symptoms due to a faulty brake bulb. When I braked, my headlights came on, but only when the brake bulb was cold. Once I had braked a few times, and the bulb was up to temp, it worked fine....

Until it cooled down again.

It may be worth replacing the bulbs one by one and re-testing. For my problem, I replaced the light housing, re-earthed, prayed to the Land Rover Gods and it still didn't work. Until I swapped the brake bulbs.....

If you go with earthing as the issue, I would install temp earths one by one to try to identify if there is a single faulty cable etc.