New member,hi. Just bought the disco,1st impressions.

· 28 · 4708

8cylinder

New member,hi. Just bought the disco,1st impressions.
« on: January 23, 2011, 02:08:45 PM »
Hi there my name is jay from bathgate.
I am currently in the process of buying a disco 2 3.9v8.
Not bothered by the fuel consumption as i have had a couple of v8 motors anyways.
Any tips on what to look out for on these especially the v8?
Many thanks.

Disco virgin.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 06:17:29 PM by 8cylinder »

rangerovering

Re: New member,hi.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 03:01:06 PM »
Hi Jay, welcome to the forum!

In a word, rust!! It's a disco, they can be really problematic in the bodywork department, rotten sills, door pillars, inner wings, boot floor, rear doors, various bits of chassis. Just have to be really thorough when you check it over.

V8's in particular: Anything from 70k miles upwards will be probably needing a new cam. The metal used was too soft and ends up giving a less than inspiring drive. V8's should be completly smooth and quiet, willing to pull and rev cleanly to 6k + (on an auto this is slightly different). Big problems occur through dirty oil, the engine will still run but can be choked to death internally, look for dirty valve gear through the oil filler cap. On an EFi like you are looking at, there can be idle problems, hot or cold start issues and general running faults. More often than not they are not difficult fixes (base idle reset, stepper motors etc) but the air flow meters can be problematic so be aware of the cost incurred (upto ~?100 for a replacement). Similar story with ECU's. It is not unheard of for 3.9's to have the slipped liner problems, be very vigilant on coolant levels, check for leaks and watch the temperature gauge carefully.

Don't let that put you off though. Everything is repairable and and with a V8 Disco, they are less likely to have had a hard life like a Tdi has.
Steve

8cylinder

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 05:30:29 PM »
The one i am looking at only has 47,000 miles on the clock.
Should i be really worried about anything at that mileage?

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
hello and welcome. best thing i would suggest is maybe taking someone who knows discos to go and have a look with you. failing that pay the aa or rac to look it over,
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

rodspink

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 07:43:16 PM »
Have a good look at the chassis, the sills, the footwells (especially if it has sunroofs they leak like hell) and a good sign of how bad the corrosion problems are is around the inside of the rear doors close to the seatbelt mount. Dont be scared to crawl underneath and tap things with a screwdriver, if the owner is not happy with you doing so I would walk away.
Dont be put off by what we say, as Steve says everything is repairable and if you get a good one you will love it. Also if you get one that has little corosion issues spend a couple of hundred quid and get it properly waxoiled.

Good luck and welcome to by far the most friendly forum.

Rod

8cylinder

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 08:02:36 PM »
Looks like this thing has never been off road,still got the side steps on it etc etc.

8cylinder

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 07:27:46 AM »
Found out aswell with it being a disco 2 it has the p38 4.0L engine,so happy about that.
Are they more reliable than the 3.9?
Or are the v8,s pretty good in general?

rangerovering

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 10:42:25 AM »
Found out aswell with it being a disco 2 it has the p38 4.0L engine,so happy about that.
Are they more reliable than the 3.9?
Or are the v8,s pretty good in general?

They are the same block. Just re read your post and realised its a D2, it was the 3.9 bit that threw me as that is a D1 badge! The rust isn't such a mega issue on the D2 compared to the D1, but still can exist.

V8's are like most things, look after them properly and they go forever. Neglect them and they can be a money pit. With a D2 I would really suggest you take someone who knows what they are talking about, cheaper in the long run!

Is the car on autotrader or something? Do you want to PM me a link and I will have a look? Got a really good mate who is sh!t hot on anything LR as well :)
Steve

8cylinder

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 09:08:35 PM »
Not got the ad on anymore.
Just got the guys number now.
Seems a straight one,mileage backed up,service history and that low mileage of 47000.
Surely a v8 is sweet at that mileage.
Only upgrade it has is the harmon kardon stereo and a new set of cross country tyres on it.

8cylinder

Re: New member,hi. Just bought the disco,1st impressions.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 06:24:49 PM »
Got back from stoke today at 4pm and as i said here are my first impressions.
I bought a discovery 2 4.0L v8 1999 with 47,000 miles on the clock.
Got myself down there and what struck me straight away is the sheer size of the thing,i have seen discoverys before but it looks like it is quite a bit bigger than the series one????
Filled the tank up with fuel 100 quid to fill.
Payed the guy and set off.
The v8 certainly isnt going to set the world alight but the car isnt for racing around in so i just took it easy coming back up the road.
I was suprised on how refined it was,no major road noise from the tyres,no creaks or knocks,nice gear change from the autobox,in general i was very happy with it.
One thing that is awfull is the turning circle on the thing,thats my only complaint.
Even made it back from stoke to near edinburgh on 2/3rds of a tank of fuel. :o
This is the first landy i have owned and hopefully my experience continues to be a happy one.

Will get some pics up tommorow.

rangerovering

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 06:35:03 PM »
Got back from stoke today at 4pm and as i said here are my first impressions.
I bought a discovery 2 4.0L v8 1999 with 47,000 miles on the clock.
Got myself down there and what struck me straight away is the sheer size of the thing,i have seen discoverys before but it looks like it is quite a bit bigger than the series one????
Filled the tank up with fuel 100 quid to fill.
Payed the guy and set off.
The v8 certainly isnt going to set the world alight but the car isnt for racing around in so i just took it easy coming back up the road.
I was suprised on how refined it was,no major road noise from the tyres,no creaks or knocks,nice gear change from the autobox,in general i was very happy with it.
One thing that is awfull is the turning circle on the thing,thats my only complaint.
Even made it back from stoke to near edinburgh on 2/3rds of a tank of fuel. :o
This is the first landy i have owned and hopefully my experience continues to be a happy one.

Will get some pics up tommorow.

Just wait til you play with it ;)

Good to hear it's all working so far!
Steve

8cylinder

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Play with it?

rangerovering

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 07:16:08 PM »
There is huge amounts of untapped power in the RV8. With the right tweeks you will seriously improve the driving and the fuel economy in one go.
Steve

8cylinder

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 07:31:25 PM »
Aha,any links for more info?

rangerovering

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 07:33:05 PM »
PM'd you  ;)
Steve